Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2016, 01:32 PM   #1

Garage
Non-Porsche Axle quality?

I've doing my yearly maintenance/overhaul on my 2001 Boxster S 6-speed. After removing the rear tires, I found that both of my rear inner CV boots have torn. I'm debating whether to repack and reboot the CV joints, or replace both whole axles.

Genuine Porsche axles from Pelican are over $900 each. However they sell axles from a brand called DSS for $120 each.

I've got a friend who is going to help me replace the axles, and he's adamantly against non-Porsche axles because he got burned by some cheap axles on his Audi. I really don't drive my Boxster much; if the axles lasted 30,000 or 40,000 miles, I'd be fine with that. My friend thinks the aftermarket axles will be so bad, it will mess up my suspension and/or transmission. What are your thoughts on cheap aftermarket axles?

desert_porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #2

I've heard nothing but bad about the cheap aftermarket axles and trust me you don't want to have to go back in there in a year or two and do it again.

If they are not making a lot of noise maybe you could remove the CV joint, clean it really good (a bucket of kerosene?) repack with a good grease and new boots?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #3

I can't comment on cheap replacement axles, but I have seen damage from a CV joint breaking back there. It nearly took out the transmission. Luckily it ony snapped the mounting bracket and slight damage to the case that was fixed with a little bit of tig welding. How many miles are on your car? I'd say just replace the boots if there isn't too many.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
How many miles are on your car? I'd say just replace the boots if there isn't too many.
45K miles, but I live in the desert where the temp regularly gets to 115, it can be pretty hard on rubber and plastic.

The outer joints are beginning to crack as well. Pelican says it's not possible to replace the outer boots, which is why I was considering replacing the axle. The front boots seem OK though.

What about Vertex Automotive and their refurbished axles? I think they use OEM parts?
Old 06-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_porsche View Post
I've doing my yearly maintenance/overhaul on my 2001 Boxster S 6-speed. After removing the rear tires, I found that both of my rear inner CV boots have torn. I'm debating whether to repack and reboot the CV joints, or replace both whole axles.

Genuine Porsche axles from Pelican are over $900 each. However they sell axles from a brand called DSS for $120 each.

I've got a friend who is going to help me replace the axles, and he's adamantly against non-Porsche axles because he got burned by some cheap axles on his Audi. I really don't drive my Boxster much; if the axles lasted 30,000 or 40,000 miles, I'd be fine with that. My friend thinks the aftermarket axles will be so bad, it will mess up my suspension and/or transmission. What are your thoughts on cheap aftermarket axles?
The quality and longevity of aftermarket axles has not been good, particularly the off shore stuff.

I would consider rebuilding your original units with OEM parts before going after market.............
Old 06-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #6
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you can replace the outer boots. It's just the cv joints that you can't replace.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you can replace the outer boots. It's just the cv joints that you can't replace.
Ahh, got it. Thank you.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_porsche View Post
45K miles, but I live in the desert where the temp regularly gets to 115, it can be pretty hard on rubber and plastic.

The outer joints are beginning to crack as well. Pelican says it's not possible to replace the outer boots, which is why I was considering replacing the axle. The front boots seem OK though.

What about Vertex Automotive and their refurbished axles? I think they use OEM parts?
You can replace both the inner and the outer boots. You just can't replace the outer cv joint. A couple of months ago I replaced the inner and outer boots on both axles. Messy job but simple enough once the axles are out. Remember to order new axle nuts/washers. These are one time use.

Last edited by alynch; 06-18-2016 at 05:08 PM.
alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #9

I think there is a new 2 piece axel washer nut design with integrated nut, single use, around $10-$11 I think.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:32 PM   #10

Pelican Parts have a boot kit, part # 101P-986-P041C.
I used the kit last year, but note that you have to buy the 2 x axle retaining nuts as well, which are not included in the kit.
Plus you will need a big torque wrench to tighten up the nuts - refer to the Pelican tech article for a how to.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #11

I did boots years ago on my car. I think it cost me $39 for the kit and $20 for new axle nuts. Its a lot of work but pretty straight forward.

At least you end up with OEM axles for a fraction of the price of new.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 05:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I think there is a new 2 piece axel washer nut design with integrated nut, single use, around $10-$11 I think.
My mistake. It is a combined nut/washer.

alynch is offline   Reply With Quote