Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #1

TechnoTooth - any thoughts

Was looking into how I could add Bluetooth to my CDR23 radio and came across the TechnoTooth on Pedro's Garage website. Seems like a nice and easy setup but was curious as to how good it is in the real world. Does anyone have any experience with this product? Thanks.

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #2
Master Brewer

Garage
I'm looking for the same. I heard of a device called Dension that looks interesting. Accessories | Dension

I will be interested to learn what folks say. Thanks
2004 Ford F-150 4X4 Crew
6 Fast Bicycles
Bootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #3

Like most things Pedro, it is repackaged stuff available elsewhere:

$72 on Amazon.com.........
Old 06-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #4

That's funny, it's the same right down to the the color.

Does anyone know if it's any good?
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 06-18-2016, 11:46 PM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I looked into that exact bluetooth setup and it had good reviews. If you are looking for just music it should work, the problem is that the 986 is so noisy you really need the microphone to be very close to your face to get decent sound for phone calls. I ultimately opted for a really high quality bluetooth headset. A few people have had luck mounting the mic to the sun visor, but that requires dismantling the A-pillar trim.

Last edited by rick3000; 06-18-2016 at 11:49 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:28 AM   #6

Hi,

when i ordered my car i ordered a Nokia set. Porsche added the microphone on top of the steering wheel cover behind the steering wheel. So i have to talk in that direction when phoning.

As long as the windows are up and you're not driving too fast, the interlocutor can understand you clearly, but it's much better with top up. I think sun visor is not a good idea, because of wind noise.

Does bluetooth music streaming really work good with this device? When i do phone calls i only get the interlocutor from one side – left or right can be choosen in the CDR 23. In general it's intended to choose right if you have a LHD car and vice versa. So i suspect i would only get a mono music signal from one side.

Regards, Markus

Edit: OK, now i understand. The device brings the signal over the FM antenna. In Germany that is crap. Tested such a FM cigarette lighter plug in device a long time ago. It was awful, because i always got interferences from radio stations in my music.

Last edited by Smallblock454; 06-19-2016 at 06:07 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:00 AM   #7

Decent product

I installed Pedro's Technotooth about 6-8 month's ago. Install was fairly simple. I do not make phone calls in my car because I typically drive with the top down and no matter where you place the mic, it's going to be a painful call when it comes to voice clarity. I installed this product so I could integrate my iPhone with the CDR-23. I like to play my own music and I don't want to lug around a bunch of CDs with me. I use my phone exclusively to play music; Pandora and my own playlists. I am not an audiophile so I don't need an expensive setup. I just like to hear my music with the top down.

So, this product allows me to play music easily from my phone. The only downside is that I have to turn the volume all the way up to about 35 to get it loud enough to enjoy while driving over 50mph. The CDR-23 volume stops at 40. Not sure why this is the case.

The other problem that I noted, and I am not sure if it's my CDR-23 or this product, but when I stop the music, a clicking noise starts to come through the speakers. It will click for several seconds then it will stop. Then it starts again. Not sure what that's all about.

Overall, I like the product for what I bought it for; playing music. As far as the price is concerned, and like others have commented, you can certainly find it cheaper elsewhere but I like Pedro and have bought several things from him and they are good products.
'04 Boxster S - Basalt Black, Fabspeed exhaust and sport headers, UD pulley, Pedro's Bluetooth, GT projectors, 18" Cayman S wheels, Evo cold air intake, IPD plenum, 74mm TB, Ben's SSK with ICT shifter boot, Fabspeed ECU Tune.
F18febe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:59 AM   #8
On the slippery slope

Garage
Here is another low cost option
I have been using this for a while and it works great for streaming music and surprisedly the handsfree using its built-in microphone for phone calls works well and people can actually hear what I am saying.

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/58756-bluetooth-dash-usb.html
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:29 PM   #9

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. I appreciate it.

Unless I'm missing something all these options run through a FM modulator. Not a fan of that. I got the impression the Tranzlt Blu HF could be hooked directly to the CDR23. Pedro's site never talks about using a FM modulator but speaks to a custom kit versus FM. Has anyone directly hookup this product a CDR23?
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 06-19-2016, 10:02 PM   #10

Unhelpful answer; No offense to the oem CDR fans but knowing that my Porsche Boxster will never fetch million$ as a classic, I personally decided to trash the CDR and installed a modern head unit instead. These days you can find some HU with amber color back lighting (e.g. BECKER). Has Bluetooth, USB/mp3, etc. Most of those units costing half of what that Tooth Techno thingy cost.

Harnesses to hook those up to porsche cars are everywhere also (visit your nearest car audio shop). Add $10~20 for one of those and your done.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:13 PM   #11

Not mine. Gives you an visual/idea of what I am talking about (BECKER Indianapolis)

Another option (the one I got):

Last edited by Nine8Six; 06-19-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:43 PM   #12

pls delete, dbl post
Old 06-20-2016, 01:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post

Unless I'm missing something all these options run through a FM modulator. Not a fan of that. I got the impression the Tranzlt Blu HF could be hooked directly to the CDR23. Pedro's site never talks about using a FM modulator but speaks to a custom kit versus FM. Has anyone directly hookup this product a CDR23?
Hello Porsche9,

there is no other way for a CDR23 to get a external stereo signal in than to fm modulate. The telephone in only has one channel, is mono and you can only decide on which side left or right the signal should play (see my message above). Also the quality is not that good, because the frequency band of that input channel was designed for phoning. So you have a high and a low cut.

If you want to feed in a external stereo audio signal to a CDR23 you'll need a solution that uses the MOST bus, like the (expensive) Dension adapters do; which simulates a CD changer.

Alternatively you can change the head unit and switch to a modern one. But you have to think of how to amplify the speakers if you have a sound package or bose system with an additional MOST bus amplifier.

Regards, Markus
Old 06-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #14

Thanks Smallblock454 and Nine8Six. Looks like with the CDR23 it's either the FM option or going with a new head unit. The latter is a bit of a pain since I have the Bose option on my car.

I guess I will settle for CD's, FM radio or simply the sweet sound of the engine and not except/make calls. It could be worse. Thanks everyone. What a great community!
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 06-20-2016, 10:08 AM   #15
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post

P9, the FM modulator I have actually works really well.
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:23 AM   #16

Not touting this device, as I bought it a few years ago for my 2003 but never installed as I sold the car.

Understand that while the device does modulate the BT signal over FM, It is a direct connection and not an RF connection like old RF modulators.

You disconnect your antenna lead from the back of the radio and connect it into the tranzit. The output of the Transit connects into the radios antenna input.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:53 AM   #17

Hello dghii,

so the device cuts the FM antenna signal when it is transferring music over Bluetooth? That might be a benefit, because than you would not have interferences from radio stations.

Regards, Markus
Old 06-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hello dghii,

so the device cuts the FM antenna signal when it is transferring music over Bluetooth? That might be a benefit, because than you would not have interferences from radio stations.

Regards, Markus
I had a device like this for my Sirius xm. You tune to a station but it had a splitter that went directly in to my antenna feed. It then cuts the radio feed when in use and transmits over that station through the cable. Great quality.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:24 PM   #19

you can add an aux to any cdr-220, 223, etc oem head unit, there are several you tube videos in how to solder an aux plug in the back connector that I think was destined tot he disc changer
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelan View Post
you can add an aux to any cdr-220, 223, etc oem head unit, there are several you tube videos in how to solder an aux plug in the back connector that I think was destined tot he disc changer
The cdr 23 does not work like this...the 220 does but the 23 found in the 03 and 04s uses a most fiber optic system.

jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote