Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2016, 06:34 AM   #1
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Not quite Autocrossing yet

A couple months ago I joined the PCA and planned to attend the autocross events with the Cimarron chapter. So far it has not worked out. They are scheduled every other Sunday and I am currently working a week-on, week-off schedule where I work on every Autocross day. Some day I may take a day off to attend, but it may not be worth it for a single event in the middle or end of the season.

There is also the local SCCA NeOkla SCCA, which has some events I am able to attend without taking a day off. Any opinions of SCCA vs PCA?

I do not have the time or commitment to get into spec racing, but I'd love to drive in a few events at Hallett during the year. The Oktoberfest event this year with the PCA says that only “experienced Hallett Track Drivers” can do the DE, so I'll probably go along to volunteer and learn this year.

This year's racing season is basically over for me without having started. What to do? Get organized better for next year.

I have plenty of Boxsters and parts available. I am not as concerned with competing against others as having fun and improving my skill. I'm strongly considering stripping down my 2000 S and putting in an Audi V8. Will that be an issue for driving in PCA events other than changing the category of cars I'm competing with? Would I be better off reverting it to be a stock 'S'? ...or just using one of my 1999s for the events?

Any other recommendations or thought?

Old 05-30-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
At the local level, the Audi engine in your 986 won't keep you out of an AX or any other event. For Parade, it's a no-no.
Around here, PCA AX gets about 40 cars and SCCA gets about 100. Both clubs have great people and great events, but the SCCA is more tuned into the rules. As a newcomer, either club will love to have you, and folks won't get picky until you start beating them. With the smaller numbers, we get 6 runs at PCA events, and the day is over by 3PM. For the SCCA, it's more like 4 or 5 runs and f you are running or working the last heat, the day isn't over til after 5PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
Racer Boy

I don't know about Oklahoma, but in most parts of the country, there is also a local organization that will run autocrosses. Often not as serious as SCCA, but with at least as many cars.

You will likely have more choices than just SCCA or PCA.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:48 PM   #4

As others have stated look into the alternatives, we luckily have 5 to 6 active clubs where I live. The SCCA is where I started and had gravitated over to PCA events also, all great people. Different clubs have different feels and see which best suits you, some are all about formality and rule adherence and others are more laid back more concerned with driver enjoyment, both have their drawbacks though.

IMO you'd be best not spending any money initially that was not necessary, concentrate on having instructors or those more knowledgeable than you to ride with you and give you pointers, that's much more valuable than scorching horsepower or high priced suspension upgrades. Good Luck.......
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:29 PM   #5

I think I've seen other makes at PCA DE events. I'm new too so don't take my word for it but I'm pretty sure no one will care if your boxster is Audi powered. I plan on going to Hallet again in October. It's a great track for viewing of races and LOTS of the spec guys love that track. I think most of them prefer it over COTA.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:54 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Leave your car stock, mount decent tires, and go find an event... any AX event. Contact your local PCA President and ask what other performance driving is available to novice drivers.

In SoCal you get 12-15 laps at a PCA AX and with SCCA it's 4 laps and done. If you wish to compete for a championship, mounting an Audi V8 will class you with Corvette ZR1s and other highly modified cars in SCCA so likely to be very humbling for a long time. In PCA you will likely run "exhibition only" so no championship against your fellow drivers. Stock class is a lot more fun in your 1st season IMO.

Now get out there!

Last edited by Topless; 05-30-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:02 AM   #7
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Thanks for the replies. I'll check around for more club options. I just found this: COMMA - Hallett Motor Racing Circuit and it looks like a great option (to work up to). PCA is probably going to be my best bet for learning and collaboration. I just need to make the time available. I'm looking forward to Oktoberfast at Hallett, even if I don't drive the track. Looking forward to meeting Woody and other mid-USA forum members.
Tires... I've seen enough posts, that I just have to do my homework. I really need to wear out a current set of 17s so I can get some good new ones.
I think the Audi swap is going to happen, but not in a hurry. The current 2.5L engine in my S gets it down the road, but would be an embarrassment in any sort of competition....
Old 05-31-2016, 11:32 AM   #8

Jon - look at the High Speed Touring (HST) that's attached with the COMMA information. It's nothing more than DE, and it's a perfect compliment to PCA DE. I started at Hallett w/ PCA DE, then started HST. It gives me the opportunity for a lot of track time.

HST will put you with an instructor until they (and you) are comfortable with you being solo. they have 2 different experience groups so you'll get some good experience.

Hallett is a great track and the folks that own and operate it are fantastic.

I'll be volunteering (and probably driving) for Octoberfast. You, me and Woody can get together.

Rick
Old 05-31-2016, 07:27 PM   #9
Track rat

Garage
Take one of the 99s, shoe it up with RE71r tires and get a pro alignment and corner balance. A 1st gen 986 car usually points out very well in competition and it's a great car to learn the skills of motorsport.

Last edited by Topless; 05-31-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote