Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2016, 08:04 PM   #1
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 213
Garage
Spin lock install

I did a forum search and found pages of threads but no answers. Are the spin locks for a 986 side specific? The lock inserts I got from my local dealership say "L" and "R", awesome they dont say "D" and "P" eh? Anyway, the vague instructions on pelican parts states, "simply slide the insert into each side, and tighten down the pinch clamp with the shoulder bolt." Thats it, no mention of side specific or that the notches at the top of the insert must be lined up. Did the dealership sell me spinlocks for another model car or is the pelican "install" instructions just woefully lacking important details? Anyone know if the threads are coarse or fine? My bolts are fine but the hole seems coarse, which might explain why i cant get the bolts started. Just trying to wrap my head around the fact that maybe sunset porsche sold me the wrong install kit....

__________________
02 Seal Grey 5 Speed

Last edited by TypeA; 05-24-2016 at 08:38 PM.
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:06 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.
 
rick3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,141
Garage
The spinlocks are left and right:
Left PN: 986-563-713-03 (Driver's Side)
Right PN: 986-563-714-03 (Passenger Side)

When you drop the spinlock into place it should only fit one way, and you won't be able to thread the bolt if the spinlock is not in the correct position. I thought the Pelican instructions had plenty of detail, check the second picture for the correct fitment.

Porsche Boxster Hardtop Installation Kit - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
__________________
1999 Ocean Blue Metallic Boxster - blueboxster.com
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:35 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Xpit77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeA View Post
I did a forum search and found pages of threads but no answers. Are the spin locks for a 986 side specific? The lock inserts I got from my local dealership say "L" and "R", awesome they dont say "D" and "P" eh? Anyway, the vague instructions on pelican parts states, "simply slide the insert into each side, and tighten down the pinch clamp with the shoulder bolt." Thats it, no mention of side specific or that the notches at the top of the insert must be lined up. Did the dealership sell me spinlocks for another model car or is the pelican "install" instructions just woefully lacking important details? Anyone know if the threads are coarse or fine? My bolts are fine but the hole seems coarse, which might explain why i cant get the bolts started. Just trying to wrap my head around the fact that maybe sunset porsche sold me the wrong install kit....
You will be surprised how two little and very expensive parts can be such a big pain in the
ass to install.
__________________
99 Boxster 88 944S sold
Xpit Formula Four sold
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
63 MG Midget sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:21 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,299
Be sure to use the plastic bag trick, and don't unscrew that top bolt all the way that holds the interior panel in place, just enough to slide the panel out of the way!
PaulE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:03 AM   #5
Registered User
 
steved0x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 3,993
Anybody that has done this job, do you think it is possible if the seats are fully back and not tilted forward? (I have fixed back floor mounted seats and wondering if I have to take them out... please let it be no...)
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 213
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post
You will be surprised how two little and very expensive parts can be such a big pain in the
ass to install.

No kidding, stopped by the shop today and they were having the same issues as me. A fiber optic camera verified the hole is fine thread but he couldnt get the bolt started either. He said to stop by after work another day and we will, literally, remove the whole softtop to get the bolts in. Verified that sunset sold me the right parts, the 987 uses the same hardware and the 911 uses a completely differnt system so I couldnt have been sold the wrong hardware. No idea what the issue is...
__________________
02 Seal Grey 5 Speed
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Pirate50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 115
Garage
Funny you say Sunset couldn't have sold the wrong parts. I purchased my spinlocks from them and tried installing them. One side went in relatively easy, couldn't get the other side to take the bolt. I removed them both and discovered that Sunset sold me two left hand inserts. The were very apologetic and took back the one I scratched up trying to get the bolt in. Verify your part numbers.
__________________
2004 986 Basalt Black Metallic. L&N IMS Retrofit, 996 Door Cards, Smarttop, Aerokit II bumper and sideskirts, Toth ducktail
Pirate50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:47 AM   #8
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 213
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate50 View Post
Funny you say Sunset couldn't have sold the wrong parts. I purchased my spinlocks from them and tried installing them. One side went in relatively easy, couldn't get the other side to take the bolt. I removed them both and discovered that Sunset sold me two left hand inserts. The were very apologetic and took back the one I scratched up trying to get the bolt in. Verify your part numbers.
Its small, very small and hard to read but the top of the inserts are stamped L and R. Part of the issue was they didnt drop fully into the hole, we did have to tap them with a punch to get them to seat properly. That felt like progress but still no luck getting the bolts to take.
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:16 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Porsche9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 1,795
Spinlock are a PITA to install. I just paid my shop $50 to install them and saved myself the headache.
__________________
03 Carrera
02 Boxster S Guards Red, black interior with matching hardtop
89 Carrera 4
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:48 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Xpit77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 472
I removed the side carpet pieces. Made it easier on the drivers side.I too had trouble with the bolt taking the thread on the drivers side. WD40 and some love and it seated.
__________________
99 Boxster 88 944S sold
Xpit Formula Four sold
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
63 MG Midget sold

Last edited by Xpit77; 05-27-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:44 AM   #11
Registered User
 
mikesz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cranston RI
Posts: 864
Garage
WOW! I drove to NJ from RI to pick up my car in Feb, then drove another 45 minutes south to purchase a hardtop. I had already bought the spinlocks. the guy I bought the HT from let me pull in his garage and he helped me put them in. Took us longer to get the HT out of his basement. I took all the right tools so I was ready but didn't think it was that bad. Try replacing a brake booster and install the corresponding retro kit for it on a 97-99, now THAT is a REAL PITA!

__________________
99 Porsche Boxster
mikesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page