Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2016, 08:04 PM   #1
Rookie

Garage
Spin lock install

I did a forum search and found pages of threads but no answers. Are the spin locks for a 986 side specific? The lock inserts I got from my local dealership say "L" and "R", awesome they dont say "D" and "P" eh? Anyway, the vague instructions on pelican parts states, "simply slide the insert into each side, and tighten down the pinch clamp with the shoulder bolt." Thats it, no mention of side specific or that the notches at the top of the insert must be lined up. Did the dealership sell me spinlocks for another model car or is the pelican "install" instructions just woefully lacking important details? Anyone know if the threads are coarse or fine? My bolts are fine but the hole seems coarse, which might explain why i cant get the bolts started. Just trying to wrap my head around the fact that maybe sunset porsche sold me the wrong install kit....

Last edited by TypeA; 05-24-2016 at 08:38 PM.
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:06 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The spinlocks are left and right:
Left PN: 986-563-713-03 (Driver's Side)
Right PN: 986-563-714-03 (Passenger Side)

When you drop the spinlock into place it should only fit one way, and you won't be able to thread the bolt if the spinlock is not in the correct position. I thought the Pelican instructions had plenty of detail, check the second picture for the correct fitment.

Porsche Boxster Hardtop Installation Kit - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
Old 05-25-2016, 03:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeA View Post
I did a forum search and found pages of threads but no answers. Are the spin locks for a 986 side specific? The lock inserts I got from my local dealership say "L" and "R", awesome they dont say "D" and "P" eh? Anyway, the vague instructions on pelican parts states, "simply slide the insert into each side, and tighten down the pinch clamp with the shoulder bolt." Thats it, no mention of side specific or that the notches at the top of the insert must be lined up. Did the dealership sell me spinlocks for another model car or is the pelican "install" instructions just woefully lacking important details? Anyone know if the threads are coarse or fine? My bolts are fine but the hole seems coarse, which might explain why i cant get the bolts started. Just trying to wrap my head around the fact that maybe sunset porsche sold me the wrong install kit....
You will be surprised how two little and very expensive parts can be such a big pain in the
ass to install.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:21 AM   #4

Be sure to use the plastic bag trick, and don't unscrew that top bolt all the way that holds the interior panel in place, just enough to slide the panel out of the way!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:03 AM   #5

Anybody that has done this job, do you think it is possible if the seats are fully back and not tilted forward? (I have fixed back floor mounted seats and wondering if I have to take them out... please let it be no...)
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post
You will be surprised how two little and very expensive parts can be such a big pain in the
ass to install.

No kidding, stopped by the shop today and they were having the same issues as me. A fiber optic camera verified the hole is fine thread but he couldnt get the bolt started either. He said to stop by after work another day and we will, literally, remove the whole softtop to get the bolts in. Verified that sunset sold me the right parts, the 987 uses the same hardware and the 911 uses a completely differnt system so I couldnt have been sold the wrong hardware. No idea what the issue is...
Old 05-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #7

Garage
Funny you say Sunset couldn't have sold the wrong parts. I purchased my spinlocks from them and tried installing them. One side went in relatively easy, couldn't get the other side to take the bolt. I removed them both and discovered that Sunset sold me two left hand inserts. The were very apologetic and took back the one I scratched up trying to get the bolt in. Verify your part numbers.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:47 AM   #8
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate50 View Post
Funny you say Sunset couldn't have sold the wrong parts. I purchased my spinlocks from them and tried installing them. One side went in relatively easy, couldn't get the other side to take the bolt. I removed them both and discovered that Sunset sold me two left hand inserts. The were very apologetic and took back the one I scratched up trying to get the bolt in. Verify your part numbers.
Its small, very small and hard to read but the top of the inserts are stamped L and R. Part of the issue was they didnt drop fully into the hole, we did have to tap them with a punch to get them to seat properly. That felt like progress but still no luck getting the bolts to take.
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:16 AM   #9

Spinlock are a PITA to install. I just paid my shop $50 to install them and saved myself the headache.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:48 AM   #10

I removed the side carpet pieces. Made it easier on the drivers side.I too had trouble with the bolt taking the thread on the drivers side. WD40 and some love and it seated.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold

Last edited by Xpit77; 05-27-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:44 AM   #11

Garage
WOW! I drove to NJ from RI to pick up my car in Feb, then drove another 45 minutes south to purchase a hardtop. I had already bought the spinlocks. the guy I bought the HT from let me pull in his garage and he helped me put them in. Took us longer to get the HT out of his basement. I took all the right tools so I was ready but didn't think it was that bad. Try replacing a brake booster and install the corresponding retro kit for it on a 97-99, now THAT is a REAL PITA!