Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2016, 06:33 PM   #1

No longer an AOS virgin

I can now add R/R of an AOS to my list of dubious DYI accomplishments.

When I sold a buddy my 03S a year and a half ago I didn't realize that I must have included a lifetime maintenance contract! So far, along with an oil change,I've helped him replace front brakes, a water pump and last but not least the AOS.

His car had started to smoke and you couldn't open the oil filler tube so it was easy to diagnose.

Friday afternoon, we pulled the car in the garage and got after it. From what I'd read, the 03 and 04's were easier to replace than the earlier cars and that seemed to be the case.

We did have the remove hose clamp tool and were able to do the entire job from above.

I did remove the rear section of oil filler tube to get a little better access to the hoses.
The rest of the job just takes some patience.

Total time, from dropping the top into service position to buttoning everything back up was 2 hours. Note that we did not clean intake manifold out (at my buddy's request)...just didn't have the time at the moment.

I relented to his request for two reasons.
1. His AOS had just started to fail and his car wasn't smoking that bad prior to R/R.
2. It's his car.

When we started the car up, there was just a little smoke (as expected). After him pulling the car out and pulling away, I didn't see any additional smoke. I'd bet he'll be completely smoke free in a few days.

He's happy...only cost $100 for the OEM part and he's back on the road. I'm happy...I got experience doing this R/R. I haven't had to do it on my 2000S (130K miles) yet. I know it will be a little tougher and I'll have to do part from under the car but now I know I can do it, no problem.

Thank goodness for the remote hose clamp tool (and flashlight)!

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:01 PM   #2
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Your doing God's work, dghii!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:49 AM   #3

Lets hope you got one of the 'good' AOS replacement units. Reports previously indicate even some OEM aos are doa !
The ideal tool for this job is remote pliers with a picatinny rail+ flashlight
Mayhew:
http://www.amazon.com/Mayhew-Select-45650-Clamp-Plier/dp/B0000AXA53
http://www.amazon.com/Mayhew-28630-Rigiflex-Clamp-Plier/dp/B000TRQOCM
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Lets hope you got one of the 'good' AOS replacement units. Reports previously indicate even some OEM aos are doa !
The ideal tool for this job is remote pliers with a picatinny rail+ flashlight
Mayhew:
http://www.amazon.com/Mayhew-Select-45650-Clamp-Plier/dp/B0000AXA53
http://www.amazon.com/Mayhew-28630-Rigiflex-Clamp-Plier/dp/B000TRQOCM
Got to look on the bright side! If we got a bad one, it'll take even less time to R/R and more importantly, I don't have to pay for it!
Old 02-21-2016, 02:26 PM   #5

Garage
I am on the cusp myself. My only reluctance is the though of the new being bad. I bought a new AOS a year and a half ago. My current, original gives me no indication it going bad. My motivation of course is this is a good preventative maintenance item and should be done
Having done my coolant expansion tank a couple months ago, I have to get up the courage to do the AOS.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:37 PM   #6

If you want to do preventative maintenance, build yourself a test manometer and test your AOS; it will tell you when it needs replacement.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 02-21-2016 at 02:39 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
I am on the cusp myself. My only reluctance is the though of the new being bad. I bought a new AOS a year and a half ago. My current, original gives me no indication it going bad. My motivation of course is this is a good preventative maintenance item and should be done
Having done my coolant expansion tank a couple months ago, I have to get up the courage to do the AOS.
Your 2002 and my car will both be a little different and maybe tougher than the 2003.

Here is my take:
I removed the top hose to the AOS with no real issue (just a little persuasion). The lower side hose was positioned such that I could get a grip on the hose release but couldn't generate enough force to remove it right then.

I decided to focus on the lower hose and mounting bolts.

I broke both the bolts lose and then moved the oil fill tube out of the way and tackled the lowest hose clamp with the remote hose clamp tool. At first, it seemed like I'd have to do it all by feel. After a couple of failed attempts to attach the tool, I realized I could spot one part of the clamp. More failed attempts and then I could see both parts of the clamp. Its weird but you just keep with it and all of a sudden you have it!

Once the lowest clamp was loose, I removed the two T5 mountiing bolts and wiggled the AOS up and free of its mount. Leave the clamp tool in place on the lower clamp until you install the new AOS. Once the AOS was free, I could get enough torque on the other side hose to release it from the AOS.

Oil up the O-ring on the new AOS and install the thing! Piece of cake!

It's like you look at the job and think there's no way you can get to what you need to get to. You mess with it for a bit and all of a sudden, you got it!

I remember going to replace the shift detent. I'd read it took under an hour but when I got under my car I could not imagine how the heck I was going to get to old detent out and new one in.

An hour later, I was done!

You just have to hold your mouth right!
Old 02-21-2016, 06:38 PM   #8

There is a thread on renntech with instructions on a DIY slack tube thingy. I bought the parts and then fizzled out. I couldn't get my head around the diameter of the tube, to me (with my lack of physics) it seems the diameter is important, because with a bigger tube it seems like the water would move less, so I wouldn't trust the measurement. I guess except in a relative way.

Edit: Reading more about this, since the other end of the tube is open to atmosphere, maybe the diameter is not important. Hmmm... More research and education needed ... It is,always fun to learn something new

Here's the thread (registration required I think since it is a DIY)
http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/255-an-inexpensive-way-to-test-for-a-bad-aos/

It links to this YouTube demo:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKpGJ-INErWCBGyqLs-cRz0sY78KHJCNxW1QbUGZy8iBmtqswG6AXnBWTJKo09Pd73bXu gu3Xb0ZZ2WTMPWeSqi-ud07xw&v=axBNu1CWJyY

Last edited by steved0x; 02-21-2016 at 06:50 PM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #9
Rookie

Garage
Resurrecting an old thread to crow that I have popped my AOS cherry as well. :dance:

PITA but with some patience it was accomplished. So far in two years of ownership Im up to; brakes, power steering pump and AOS. Water pump was covered by my extended warranty, otherwise that would have been on the list as well. Heres a pic of the diaphragm of the old AOS, hard to believe such a little crack created such a huge plume of smoke!!!!