Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2006, 05:19 AM   #1

Inspection Story

My car was due for its annual PA state inspection. As some of you remember, I bought this car in February from a dealership on the other side of the state for a much better deal. Since I didn't feel like hearing crap from the local dealership about not buying from them I decided to have my state inspection done somewhere else since it is a brand new car and it is essentially slapping stickers on the windshield.

I first went to an oil/shock/muffler palce but the workers looked shady. Down the road was a brand new Toyota dealership so I took it there. I saw when the car went in and after 1/2 hour I saw someone making stickers for it. 20 minutes later the car still wasn't out. I snuck around the side of the building to look into the bays and half the garage was crowded around the car including the service manager. I walked in behind everyone without them seeing me and asked, "Do you think it will pass?" They looked very surprised to see me and it was obvious that they were just playing around with the car (especially since the top was down at that point and it was up when I brought it in). They immediately backed out the car.

The odd thing was that after arriving home and putting the top up, it stopped at the end. The latch was in the locked position. Obviously they had to unlatch it to open it so I assume that they stopped it mid way and pushed the latch forward again. It works fine and there is no damage but still it was annoying since avoiding this sort of nonsense is the reason I originally passed on the first place.

In hindsight I would have gone to the dealership had I know that this stuff would have happened but hey... Anyway, just thought I would share.

2005 Porsche Boxster
2007 Lexus LS460
2004 Lexus RX
luxury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:43 AM   #2
bmussatti

Hey luxury1, I can understand your concern and hesitation about going to the local Porsche dealer, but, you should not really feel this way, and most certainly, should not be treated that way when you go into the dealer in the future. If they do treat you that way, it would be a good time to talk to the owner or GM of the dealership. PCNA might also like to know if your experience is anything less than satisfactory.

How many do you have now?
Old 05-24-2006, 05:45 AM   #3

Hi bmussatti!

Great to hear from you!

You are right, I definitely will go there next time. You are in the same situation as I am. Have you taken it to your dealership yet? If so, how did it go?

I have 2,100 miles on mine so far and they have been incredibly fun miles. How many do you have? How are you enjoying it thus far?

2005 Porsche Boxster
2007 Lexus LS460
2004 Lexus RX
luxury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:15 AM   #4

Why in the world was the top down? Did you say anything to anyone?

Emissions inspections are dubious in their effect on the environment. Colorado uses the IM-240 test where they run it on a "treadmill" for 240 seconds at various engine speeds (following a curve). But, at least you can watch them do it. I made sure they could see me watching them to ensure they didn't ding my door or take any other liberties.

BTW, I once had a Jeep tested where they forgot to release the parking brake. I was watching and it kept failing the test (DUH - they couldn't keep the speed where it needed to be). Finally, I saw smoke billowing from under the car - I ran out to find they had completely smoked the brake system. They weren't going to do anything about it. I refused to drive the car since they could have boiled the fluid and/or crumbled the brakes. Turns out, they completely destroyed my brake system. I got a brand new system courtesy of Clean Air Colorado.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote