Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #1

Few Turbo Boxsters (986)-Why?

So I'm somewhat new to the site but have been doing some car research in hopes of purchasing a fun project soon. My question is somewhat broad and open ended. If I can pick up a nice 2000ish Boxster S for $9-$10K, why wouldn't I drop another $7-8K into a Turbo system? That would be a lot of car and a lot of fun for less than $20,000. Companies like TPC in Maryland are pushing 365+ HP with the intercooled system and I think that's only 4.5 Lbs of boost. So, any opinion on the Turbo route?
Thanks, John (Atlanta)

JEhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #2

The engine is not made for forced induction. I wouldn't risk the engine. What I have wondered about is if I can somehow fit a 996 Turbo engine in the 986 engine bay, if at all possible.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #3
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I think the biggest reason is the Boxster engine at 11:1 compression is to high for a reliable turbo setup.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Here's a typical thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/46260-adding-turbo-my-boxster.html

And here's a typical search:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A986forum.com+turbocharger&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=site:986forum.com+turbocharger&start=10

Just from a quick read, I'd think if you spend about $10k on the full install, it could be stable. Money spent per performance gain ratio does not make sense to me. If it makes you happy and it doesn't starve any kids, sure, do it.

Last edited by 78F350; 05-11-2016 at 10:31 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #5

Interesting info so far. The TPC guys aren't cheap but their results and testimonials are impressive. I guess other options would include swapping out the 3.2L for a newer 3.4 or 3.6L. The extreme option is the LS1 V8.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:26 PM   #6
Ben-Auto-Design

I talked with a guy that have a 2006 cayman S with a TPC turbo pushing 400hp.
He told me that he never had any problem (he bought it used with the kit on it already).

The compression ratio shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't run too much boost.

BUT there seems to be many problem with cylinder cracking on N/A engines driven hard that a turbo isn't gonna help...

So, if you can afford it, and afford to eventually replace an engine, go for it! Must be a lot of fun!
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #7

Flat 6 naturally aspirated engines are the epitome of Porsche and roadsters.

Putting a turbo and its lag on a short wheelbase, nimble car is like putting ice in your Opus One. A different way to enjoy it but loses the whole point of the thing.

Porsche had a real tough time increasing the power of the flat 6 engine without increasing the costs while at the same time not sacrificing reliability during the warranty period.
They couldn't do all three anymore. So they went with the Volks Wagen approach of using turbo fours. Which is also the Hyundai approach.

You want a fun car? Get a 1999 2.5 Boxster. Instead of using the money for a turbo, Slap some lightweight wheels on it, strip the interior, put in a free flow exhaust, intake and headers and you'll be within a few pounds of the Spec Boxster race cars (~2,500 lbs.) while not being limited to their rules on what you can upgrade.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Flat 6 naturally aspirated engines are the epitome of Porsche and roadsters.

Putting a turbo and its lag on a short wheelbase, nimble car is like putting ice in your Opus One. A different way to enjoy it but loses the whole point of the thing.

Porsche had a real tough time increasing the power of the flat 6 engine without increasing the costs while at the same time not sacrificing reliability during the warranty period.
They couldn't do all three anymore. So they went with the Volks Wagen approach of using turbo fours. Which is also the Hyundai approach.

You want a fun car? Get a 1999 2.5 Boxster. Instead of using the money for a turbo, Slap some lightweight wheels on it, strip the interior, put in a free flow exhaust, intake and headers and you'll be within a few pounds of the Spec Boxster race cars (~2,500 lbs.) while not being limited to their rules on what you can upgrade.
Plus two on this recommendation.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:44 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEhunter View Post
Interesting info so far. The TPC guys aren't cheap but their results and testimonials are impressive. I guess other options would include swapping out the 3.2L for a newer 3.4 or 3.6L. The extreme option is the LS1 V8.
There's extensive information on both options on the forum. But then again, if you had searched you probably would've answered your turbo questions as well.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:20 PM   #10

Garage
All that and it is illegal in some states.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:01 AM   #11

So maybe the turbo option isn't ideal due to expense and long term engine issues... So if I were to pick up and older Boxster S with 120K miles, what would my options be for a 3.4 or 3.6L motor swap? What motor fits best? Any idea what a reconditioned low miles motor would run without labor (I would do that myself).

I know I'm jumping around on this thread but as you can see, I have 4-5 posts and I'm just looking at my options before I open up the check book. Thanks
Old 05-12-2016, 05:15 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEhunter View Post
So maybe the turbo option isn't ideal due to expense and long term engine issues... So if I were to pick up and older Boxster S with 120K miles, what would my options be for a 3.4 or 3.6L motor swap? What motor fits best? Any idea what a reconditioned low miles motor would run without labor (I would do that myself).

I know I'm jumping around on this thread but as you can see, I have 4-5 posts and I'm just looking at my options before I open up the check book. Thanks
Use the search function as I have suggested. Google this and you'd find the pelican parts article that talks extensively about which options can run with which DME. Year of the car and DME it's running will limit your options. Search and report back if you can't find what you're looking for.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #13

OK, the search function works great. Tons of into on the site and exactly what I needed.