Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2016, 07:53 AM   #1

How to fill A/C?

I had to replace the air box and drier in the A/C system when it blew up on our 2000 Boxster so now I need to refill the system. Does anyone know if I have to take it to a shop to do this or can I just get the R134a and fill it up myself? (Not sure if it will draw in with an empty compressor.) When I call around to the quick-lube/tire shops that do A/C, they will not do it on a Porsche and I can't lose the car for a day or two to take it to a mechanic right now, but we're in the upper 80s in GA and it's hot for the wife in traffic.

Thanks!

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga View Post
I had to replace the air box and drier in the A/C system when it blew up on our 2000 Boxster so now I need to refill the system. Does anyone know if I have to take it to a shop to do this or can I just get the R134a and fill it up myself? (Not sure if it will draw in with an empty compressor.) When I call around to the quick-lube/tire shops that do A/C, they will not do it on a Porsche and I can't lose the car for a day or two to take it to a mechanic right now, but we're in the upper 80s in GA and it's hot for the wife in traffic.

Thanks!
You need to first evacuate the system and hold a vacuum on it to remove all the moisture and air. After the system has demonstrated it can hold a high level of vacuum for several min., the system can be recharged, with the appropriate amount of PAG lubricant added into the gas stream to replace what was lost during the repairs. This process must be done according to the correct ambient temperature and high and low pressure readings listed in the factory service manual.

Unless you are equipped to do this properly, take the car to someone that is.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #3

I thought it would have to be bled/evacuated, but wasn't sure. Will take it in when I can. Thanks.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:28 AM   #4

Try to find a place where they can do it while you wait, so you don't have to be without the car, it may take an hour or so

stelan is offline   Reply With Quote