Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2016, 06:18 AM   #1

reduced engine access with glass rear window

The plastic window on my 98 Boxster is cracked and hazy. The strong NM sun probably isn't helping.

I'm thinking of buying a replacement top with a glass window. I see many references to "reduced engine access". Robbins even includes some sort of strap that holds the window out of the way somehow for working on the engine.

How bad is it? I'm not in the engine that often but I'd like to hear peoples experiences.

Thanks!

DG Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:50 AM   #2

All aftermarket glass window tops reduce the engine access to some degree. Personally, I do not find it all that troublesome, but apparently some do. I'd suggest you find someone with an aftermarket top and ask them to put it in the service position so you can see how you feel about it.

You could also consider finding one of the OEM glass window top frames in a bone yard and retrofitting the factory top, which does have better access.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:02 AM   #3
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
In my opinion the lack of top engine access is overblown. The advantages of having an aftermarket glass window top FAR outweigh the small amount of room you lose. I've had my top for around 4 years and have only needed to get in there around once a year. I had no problem changing the air filter, MAF or taking the throttle body off for cleaning. The new top took 10 years off of the look of the car. Not to mention not having to worry about the boxster chop or putting the top down in cold weather.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #4

Engine compartment access is a pain with either a plastic or glass window especially when thecar is up on jackstands.

Best solution is to remove the trunk lid. Its only 4 bolts and a one person job. Then you can climb into the trunk and have great access to evedyghing.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #5

I have a glass windowed roof and have no problem with engine access?

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #6
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
The glass window top in service position is not ideal, but access to what is needed is not too bad.

It would have been nice if the whole rear end of the body tilted up and back like the front end of a Jag 'E' Type did. That would have given access to a whole lot of things. Unfortunately it doesn't.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #7

I totally get why most people like the glass window. I'm not one of those people though. I want the room the plastic window gives you because I plan on being back there more than most. I also like the weight savings the plastic has over glass. It also gives you more vision behind you but that's not a big one for me.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:34 AM   #8
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Boxster View Post
The plastic window on my 98 Boxster is cracked and hazy. The strong NM sun probably isn't helping.

I'm thinking of buying a replacement top with a glass window. I see many references to "reduced engine access". Robbins even includes some sort of strap that holds the window out of the way somehow for working on the engine.

How bad is it? I'm not in the engine that often but I'd like to hear peoples experiences.

Thanks!
How often do you access the engine, once per year? It was totally a "non issue" for me to change the AF and check PS fluid. The glass window top was my favorite mod ever. When we did need complete unfettered access to the engine at one point, remove 4 bolts and two guys can completely lift off the soft top and get it all out of the way in about 20 minutes.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:36 PM   #9

Garage
I replaced the original plastic window top with a new GAAH glass window top about three years ago. My mechanic always grumbles about the loss of space when working on the top of the motor but he uses a bungy chord to hold the top out of the way and seems to always get the job done. IMHO the glass tops look better, the loss of window space is a non issue as you don't have great vision out the back window anyway and I don't have to worry about how cold it is when putting the top down or get out and do the chop.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:31 AM   #10

Thanks guys - you've convinced me to go glass. I especially hate the Boxster chop and as long as I can get to the engine the way you all have I'll be fine.

Now I have to pick a top. Lots of choices...

DG Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote