Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2016, 09:05 PM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

Turbo??

So I'm hooked. Got the Ego Boost 3.5 V6 in the F150 and really like turbo.

So, why so difficult to turbo a Boxster? Just mount a leaf blower in the trunk and duct tape it to the air box? (Says the leaf blower is good for 200mph right on the box!)

The turbos in the truck look small but I know space is limited in the Box. No way to electrically force air into that motor? NO easier to add?

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:20 AM   #2

Garage
http://youtu.be/U81_0waqEWA
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:24 AM   #3

Garage
Turbos are awesome in big cars, I want a Macan Turbo for family hauler some day and a Ford Felx Ecoboost if birth-control ever had a failure and I end up with too many.

Also if I ever have to haul things I'd most prefer it to be done by an ecoboost f150, reliable, torquey, and no one gives a crap about the power band in a truck or wagon! So everyone wins.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:30 AM   #4
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
I was thinking of posting the exact thing.
I must be a Canadian redneck. I love Roadkill!

As far as the Boxster goes, heat and compression would be a big issue. The M96 has very high compression; something that is a detriment to turbocharging. That and the fact these motors can crack heads readily even in unmodified form.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation

Last edited by BoxsterSteve; 04-09-2016 at 07:36 AM.
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post

So, why so difficult to turbo a Boxster? Just mount a leaf blower in the trunk and duct tape it to the air box? (Says the leaf blower is good for 200mph right on the box!)

The turbos in the truck look small but I know space is limited in the Box. No way to electrically force air into that motor? NO easier to add?
Nearly everything on an engine designed to use a turbo is different than a normally aspirated version. Static compression rations, cam shaft profiles, ignition timing profiles, variable cam timing systems, intake systems, and even the cylinder heads profiles are modified to take advantage of the hair dryer in the exhaust system. Just hanging a turbo or blower on an engine will typically add performance, but it is anything but optimized, and often can be detrimental to the long term health of the power plant.

And some engines simply don't like the boost; the M96 is one of them. Ask Jake what he thinks of turbo addition to one of these.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #6
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Plus...

...remember that both Ford & Porsche are using Direct Fuel Injection. The fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber at very high pressure. This atomizes the fuel into more, smaller, droplets. This has an evaporative cooling effect which allows a higher static compression ration with high boost on top of it. THAT's one big reason both the EcoBoost Fords and the new turbo Porsches make so much torque at such a low rpm.

Timing and all the rest the above poster mention also help greatly with this.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:46 AM   #7

Garage
We have an escape. I ordered one with the bigger 2.0 l turbo. It's peppy. Not at all the fuel economy ford claimed it would get, but I guess that's part for the course. However it doesn't make my heart boom when I get the rpms up like my flat six does. It does have a touch of turbo lag as well.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:42 PM   #8

Garage
You have to take into account the insane amount of stress that this forced induction is putting on the engine. Ignition timing needs to be colder due to the increased gas flow, compression ratio is too high for a turbocharger, (11:1 as opposed to a turbocharged engine of 9:1). Not to mention that the design of the connecting rods will fail at high stress. The m96 will make very clear to you that it does not like to be turbocharged. Supercharge it if you must, but forced induction is a dangerous road to go down.
cornontherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #9
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

jdraupp...

...The EcoBoost provides Eco or Boost, but not both at the same time.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #10

There is a company that I will not name that sells a turbo system for 987s. An inordinate number of owners who purchase the system end up on P9 complaining about numerous gremlins. And there seem to be a large number of turbo 987s that come up for sale. Coincidence? I don't think so.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
If the turbo boosts your ego, okay. Just keep in mind, it's the turbo doing the work, not you. Now, if it has an integrated AI that constantly compliments you while you're driving, that would be an Ego Boost!

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:09 AM   #12
Project Addicted

Get a diesel if you like boost!! My Cummins is running 45PSI max and is used everyday. For towing it can not be beat. Unlike the Box engine which might weigh in at what, 325-250 lbs? The Cummins weighs right at 3000 lbs!!!! Built to take the boost, unlike your Box.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:17 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
Get a diesel if you like boost!! My Cummins is running 45PSI max and is used everyday. For towing it can not be beat. Unlike the Box engine which might weigh in at what, 325-250 lbs? The Cummins weighs right at 3000 lbs!!!! Built to take the boost, unlike your Box.
What year is yours? My grandpa had a 91 with the old 12 valve engine and the wait to start light 5 speed stick and had a 2000 with the six speed 24 valve engine. Great trucks. Dodge did it right when they offered the first ram with the Cummins turbo in it. Quiet reliable engines and powerful as all get out.

jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote