Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2016, 03:06 AM   #1
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Well if the IMS bearing was just changed, then I wouldn't think the rear main seal would be leaking. This is because the RMS is directly above the IMS bearing. So if it was leaking when they changed the IMS then they would have changed the seal as well. I would bet that the IMS has not been changed. Furthermore the heavy feeling clutch is most likely due to it being on its last legs. Most of the time the clutch, IMS and RMS are replaced at the same time since most of the labor is taking the transmission off to get to all these parts. These issues alone would make me walk away from this car, not to mention all of the others.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Well if the IMS bearing was just changed, then I wouldn't think the rear main seal would be leaking. This is because the RMS is directly above the IMS bearing. So if it was leaking when they changed the IMS then they would have changed the seal as well. I would bet that the IMS has not been changed. Furthermore the heavy feeling clutch is most likely due to it being on its last legs. Most of the time the clutch, IMS and RMS are replaced at the same time since most of the labor is taking the transmission off to get to all these parts. These issues alone would make me walk away from this car, not to mention all of the others.
Yes, the mechanic said that if the IMS bearing was replaced, at least by someone reputable, they would have replaced the RMS, too. And it wouldn't be leaking.

The heavy feeling clutch could be the fact that my GTI has the lightest clutch I've ever driven.

I called a local Porsche shop in my area an he quoted $1,800 to do the IMS bearing and RMS seal. I assume that is reasonable?

Thanks for your response, by the way. It is appreciated!
RoughDobermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:18 AM   #3
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
That price doesn't seem out of line to me. My clutch was heavy when I bought my car. I got a new clutch, IMS and RMS the next spring. After i got the new clutch it felt very light. Not quite Honda light, but much lighter. If you end up getting this car I would add a clutch to this job as well. It should only add $600-$800 to the price of the the job. There are lots of S models in the classified section of this site for good prices with far less problems. I would look around some more before jumping on the first one you see.

Last edited by tommy583; 03-30-2016 at 03:20 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:27 AM   #4
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
The oil being overfilled is also not good. Many problems can be caused by this. Not to mention if they can't fill the oil correctly I doubt they used the correct oil. Did the PPI tell you the reason the CEL is on? Jeez I don't really have a good feeling about this car.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:33 AM   #5

Quote:
The oil being overfilled is also not good. Many problems can be caused by this. Not to mention if they can't fill the oil correctly I doubt they used the correct oil. Did the PPI tell you the reason the CEL is on? Jeez I don't really have a good feeling about this car.
Yeah, the dealer selling the car (not a Porsche dealer) over-filled the oil... I had a Porsche dealer run the PPI.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:45 AM   #6

if the dealer could fix some of those major items, especially the labor intensive ones within the same price that could be a good deal. or maybe you can use the PPI results as a severe haggling tool. sometimes dealers just want the cars off the lot and are willing to make a deal, no matter what that would be.

when i bought my Honda S2000 it had shot suspension, shot brakes and a bunch of other small items. a PPI showed all of those and i agreed to buy if it they fixed everything. they did within the same price and i got myself a good deal and an overhauled car. but beware of them trying to be sneaky and put used parts.. i had to stay on top of these guys and demanded to see all parts going on the car.
CrisZenithBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
if the dealer could fix some of those major items, especially the labor intensive ones within the same price that could be a good deal. or maybe you can use the PPI results as a severe haggling tool. sometimes dealers just want the cars off the lot and are willing to make a deal, no matter what that would be.

when i bought my Honda S2000 it had shot suspension, shot brakes and a bunch of other small items. a PPI showed all of those and i agreed to buy if it they fixed everything. they did within the same price and i got myself a good deal and an overhauled car. but beware of them trying to be sneaky and put used parts.. i had to stay on top of these guys and demanded to see all parts going on the car.
Unfortunately, the dealer selling it isn't a Porsche dealer. I wouldn't have the work done there. There's a local shop in my area which has a stellar reputation.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:32 AM   #8

Quote:
I would look around some more before jumping on the first one you see.
As usual, Tommy is right. There are too many issue and unknowns on this Boxster. There are a lot of Boxsters for sale. Even low mileage ones. Stop, take your time and buy one from an owner or a dealer if it is in pristine condition. And, very smart move in getting a PPI. It would have been bad to get that Boxster home then discover all of those issues. Good luck and keep us posted.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:45 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
I've noticed that my 99 clutch feels heavier than any other vehicle I have owned. After nearly 3 years, my clutch is fine, just heavy.

I am concerned that you still have an oil seep from the main crank seal or something else. See if you can find out who did the IMS replacement and verify with them. As times are tough in Colorado with the low oil/gas prices and the oil/gas industry is suffering, so are the vehicle repair shops and they charged for everything. They are short business, expendable income spenders. Some of the stuff they listed may be borderline or illegit. Just saying.

I bought mine from a Denver Dealer three years ago and the climate didn't jack with any of my hardware.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:02 PM   #10

I'd grab the 05 at $18,000 over the 03 at almost $19,000 - depending on PPI of course.