Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2016, 04:13 AM   #1

1998 w/ 135k for $6100...a steal??????????

I just purchased a 1998 black 3 owner Boxster with 135,000 miles for $6100. This car looks, runs and drives brand new and everything works except the washer fluid sprayer but who cares? Let me give the short list of new parts in last 5 years and 20,000 miles that this third owner has done and provided me documented receipts from Porsche dealer...

brake pads
rotors
tires
flywheel
camshaft seal
ims bearing (replaced with upgraded one as preventative measure as clutch was replaced)
clutch
pilot bearing
clutch slave/master cylinder
o2 sensor
front wheel bearings and 4 wheel alignment
thermostat
serpentine belts
clock light bulb (shows the meticulousness of owner)

All services done at Porsche dealer and car-fax shows clean title and all services going back from when purchased including regular oil changes, scheduled maintenance services by previous owners and emissions checks that always pass.

Did I really get the deal of a lifetime that I think I did?????
I understand that there can be other issues on an 18 year old car but it seems engine and transmissions are robust and with a near perfect maintenance done, seems I can get a good 200,000 out of this car?????????

Rjbasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:29 AM   #2
Project Addicted

Without pictures it didn't happen! ��

Seems like a good deal just with the parts listed.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:36 AM   #3

Garage
You probably didn't do bad with those service records, but I'd hardly call it the deal of a lifetime. You have an 18 year old Porsche with 135k on it that's going to continue to act like a luxury sports car in maintenance costs. Plan on spending 1-2k a year in costs. Less if you are handy and can do maintenance yourself. An oil change at the dealer with cost 180 bucks and you need one every 5,000 miles or at least once a year. If you can do it yourself, closer to 60 bucks.

I do not see air oil separator, rear wheel bearings, front motor mount, water pump and suspension on that list. You'll likely need to do all those things in the coming years. Plenty of threads on all of those items, just do a search.

Congrats on the new car, enjoy it and drive it like it's stolen. I just know a lot of folks buy these thinking they just got a cheap porsche when in fact the cheapest porsche you buy will be the most expensive one you'll ever own. That is why we try to temper those expectations and prepare you for what you may encounter. They all need extra maintenance. German cars do. It's just a matter of how willing and prepared you are to do it.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:33 AM   #4

Garage
All the items the owner did, that you listed, are great to have been done when you buy a used car but unfortunately don't count towards the real value of the car. What came on the car new are items that count towards the value such as full leather interior, Automatic trans, upgraded wheels and etc. If you go to Edmunds or Kelley Bluebook and answer the questions about the car they will give you a trade in value and a sell it yourself value. Unfortunately for older Boxsters the figures are disappointing as they have dropped through the floor in value.
What does have value is how you feel about the car and the enjoyment it gives you while you own it and fortunately Boxsters are one of the most fun cars to drive so don;t worry about getting a deal of a lifetime because chances are it won't be in the monetary value but in the experience of driving it.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #5

Good list, but 5 years is a long time. Depending on when the pads and tires where done - they could be ready to be changed again after 5 years. Tires don't last a long time on these cars.
Did you get a PPI done? That's huge.
When was the IMS changed out - or better yet, how many KM's on it since it was changed? Why did he change it? Did he change it out cause he found metal in the filter and now that metal is in the engine?
Great list - but also creates some questions that need asked.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:04 AM   #6

Yes, $6,100 may seem like a bargain, but consider this:

A cheap, old Porsche (with 135k miles) will require a lot of repairs/maintenance going forward, thereby adding significantly to your cost of ownership. Depreciation + repairs/maintenance + insurance = total cost of ownership. Fortunately, depreciation isn't so much of an issue with an older car (but repairs and maintenance are!)

A more expensive, newer Porsche (with much less mileage) will have less repairs/maintenance costs going forward (especially if there's warranty coverage), but the total cost of ownership will still be considerable because: Depreciation + repairs/maintenance + insurance = cost of ownership. And oh boy, the depreciation will be much higher!

No matter what the numbers say, however, the joy of owning/driving a Porsche is hard to put a price on. And that's why we buy them...they make us happy, eh?

Last edited by VGM911; 03-20-2016 at 08:17 AM.
VGM911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

The value of higher mileage Boxster's is almost entirely based on the expectation of how much longer the engine will last.

If you get another 65K miles out of the engine, then you got a great deal. If you only get 2K miles out of the car, it was a horrible deal. The impossible challenge is to know how long that engine will last.

Thus, at this time, we don't have any way to know if you actually got the deal of the century or if you made a $6100 mistake.

The best reason to buy a Boxster is that you love the ownership and driving experience.

And that driving experience is priceless.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:03 AM   #8

Don't do this to yourself...

You made the purchase. Just drive it and enjoy it.
asteroid hyalosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:58 AM   #9
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Welcome to the tribe. It sounds like you got a fair deal. Be proactive on the maintenance and don't ignore any leaks or drips out of the bottom. There are plenty of things to spend money on for these cars. Start saving now. You will be amazed at how pricey some of these OEM bits cost.

I would also recommend that you join PCA and try to get involved with a local chapter. They will be a great networking resource for all sorts of things. It pays for itself, some dealers and vendors will give you a 10% discount as a member.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #10
Run

If you add up what the PO put in the car I am willing to bet you past the cost of what he sold it for. As others have said these cars cost money no way around it.
Exp. Rear tires 12-15k miles depending on how you drive and the list goes on.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #11

A dealer actually doing the IMS replacement is unusual, though some now do.
Does the invoice show what part was used? Anything in the way of a sticker on the door post? Or was it the IMS gasket all that was changed?

You are happy, that is what is important. Don't overthink. Especially, being in Youngstown, I'd get the window washer fluid system working. And pay attention to the tires needed for the winter.

Good luck. Loved mine.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:46 AM   #12

Washer fluid, the hose may have fallen off the tank like it did go me, behind the driver front wheel fender liner, plug it back on
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
A dealer actually doing the IMS replacement is unusual, though some now do.
Does the invoice show what part was used? Anything in the way of a sticker on the door post? Or was it the IMS gasket all that was changed?

You are happy, that is what is important. Don't overthink. Especially, being in Youngstown, I'd get the window washer fluid system working. And pay attention to the tires needed for the winter.

Good luck. Loved mine.
He replaced the IMS as a preventative measure because he was replacing the clutch. I have the receipt and it is an IMS upgrade kit that cost around $1000. This is just going to be a summer car and I have no intentions of driving it in the winter. Probably will only put around 3000 miles a year on it. This is just going to be a summer car and I have no intentions of driving it in the winter. Probably will only put around 3000 miles a year on it.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:34 PM   #14

Thanks for all the info. Again, this will be just a summer car and I will probably be lucky if I put 3000 miles a year on it. Already insured it it is only $200 a year because I already have two other cars and a motorcycle and this is listed as a pleasure vehicle so it is significantly cheaper. I understand there could be around $1000 worth of maintenance and repairs every year even keeping low miles but to me, totally worth it! Thanks again for the info and keep it coming if anybody has any more!
Old 03-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteroid hyalosis View Post
Don't do this to yourself...

You made the purchase. Just drive it and enjoy it.
Good advice!!!!!
Old 03-20-2016, 06:33 PM   #16

Look, you did fine. The only 'big thing that seems to be missing from your list is suspension components.

Think of it this way....
The value of a 'roller' (bad engine) is ~$2-2.5K. Your risk is therefore $4.1K.

If you another car for, say $5.1K, with less known history, as a roller it's still worth the same ~$2-$2.5K, hence your risk is $3K....

....or $1,000 less that what you bought with a decent history trail.

Enjoy your car!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #17

Garage
Rjbasile,
Congratulations and don't be discuoraged by all the negativity. Dang Guys! What a welcome. I'm glad you found a sport car you are excited about. I have not been anywhere near even $1000/year. I do my own oil changes. I've done all of my own repairs. A new aftermarket start (that works wonderfully) was $87.00. Aftermarket brakes and rotors were $214.00. I purchased the Durametric so I could clear my own codes and see the metrics of the engine. I had to replace one seat belt buckle. I drive mine at least once per week year round. Keep the fluids regular by not letting it sit for too long. I replaced the front tires when I bought it three years ago. I put new rears on it back in October.
Welcome and ENJOY!
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:57 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlmodelt View Post
Rjbasile,
Congratulations and don't be discuoraged by all the negativity. Dang Guys! What a welcome. I'm glad you found a sport car you are excited about. I have not been anywhere near even $1000/year. I do my own oil changes. I've done all of my own repairs. A new aftermarket start (that works wonderfully) was $87.00. Aftermarket brakes and rotors were $214.00. I purchased the Durametric so I could clear my own codes and see the metrics of the engine. I had to replace one seat belt buckle. I drive mine at least once per week year round. Keep the fluids regular by not letting it sit for too long. I replaced the front tires when I bought it three years ago. I put new rears on it back in October.
Welcome and ENJOY!
BY the way, I paid $12000 for my 99 with 59,000 miles on it. The engine had been replaced in 2008 with a Porsche factory rebuild at 34,000 miles with the Porsche IMS solution. Apparently, a larger single row that can only be replaced by completely tearing down the engine and splitting the case. So, I'll be driving mine and enjoying. I read an article in the Porsche magazine about a couple who's engine lasted over 450,000 miles. So, I'll just take care of it and see how I do. The funnest car I have ever driven.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:57 PM   #19
1998 Boxster Owner

Garage
You did very well. Enjoy your Boxster. Go out and drive!

tada is offline   Reply With Quote