Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #21

Garage
Radio issue solved

Well, one possible problem with radios not turning on is the terrible design having cupholders that only fit soda cans mounted above.

See the dried puddles:

Just wired up the new Pioneer deck (DEH-X9600BHS) and I'm back in business! The new mounting sleeve seems a hair too big so I'll have to solve that but after the fun of removing the stock radio I'm done for the evening.

Hearing that the speakers work, aren't blown, and aren't half bad was joyful.

Attached Images

Last edited by oneshot; 03-09-2016 at 08:58 PM. Reason: photo upside down?
oneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:39 AM   #22

Garage
I take mine to Zim's in Bedford, highly recommended! They have been around a long time, have a great reputation and are reasonable.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:32 AM   #23

Mayo Performance
1521 Baccarac Ct, Euless, TX 76040, USA

The only certified installer for the "IMS Solution" in Texas and surrounding states!

Not knocking on the other shops but this would be my first choice to do engine repair. I'll be driving 4 hours to take my 3.4 to them soon. Two of the mechanics and the owner race spec boxsters. If you need suspension work, I would take it to Porsche of Plano and ask for John Gladwill. He has a huge following in the racing community.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #24

Welcome! Excellent color choice!
Old 03-10-2016, 08:45 PM   #25

Garage
I've got the Pioneer fully wired up for usb out to near my center console and the microphone out the steering column for voice commands and hands free calls. I moved it to 'slot 3'. I took the cup holders out during the fun wiring part and reinstalled in slot 1 with the cd holder in slot 2. I've got a second usb for a possible iPad dash in the near future.

It should be noted the metra harness had the power lines wired backwards. I had to switch the pins for 12v switched and constant. The color coding was just wrong. Figured that out after setting the clock the third time....

Alarm went off randomly getting in at one point...

I thought all was well once I disconnected the known to be a problem radio alarm ground.

Then, somehow my 'brand new expensive keyfob' stopped working the keyless function. Had to perform the battery flip inside it trick from some TSB to regain control. I think I am back in control of my life now.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #26

Garage
The suspension is bilstein pss9.
f4-vm3-5253-H0
e4-fd1-y623 a00

Feels good too.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:56 AM   #27

Garage
Yesterday I got all setup to replace the aos, opened up engine covers for first time, and behold.... This car is not completely stock. The intake is a stainless looking pipe with open air cone filter. Assumption is this is an old aFe kit based on finding an aFe sticker inside the door sill.

That didn't affect me getting at the aos except the instructions online don't quite match the way my intake looks now. My throttle body for example is now midway mounted on the intake pipe and not near the plenums. Once I was reoriented I got the top of the aos disconnected finding oily tubes. Getting at those bolts though.... My current toolkit wasn't ready for that challenge. I didn't prepare to take other stuff off to get at them or have the tool to get at them. I tried from over and under to figure that out. When the dinner bell rang I buttoned it up for now.

I'm interested in a tool to get them myself, but all these findings do motivate me to have a seasoned Porsche shop look it over. My only concern with the car is when under power it makes what pretty clearly sounds like a wet whistle sound behind me and has a few times felt underpowered. Idle is a bit rough sounding but otherwise feels, sounds and drives as I would expect. I can keep rpms low and avoid the 'perceived aos noise'.

Thoughts?
Old 03-16-2016, 08:07 PM   #28

Garage
Something wasn't right

Decided as I'm in the process of moving with a pregnant wife to make a decision. I'm outsourcing the AOS job. What'd you think I was gonna sell out. Haha.

Took it to one of the closer shops as the job seemed light enough. First shop I called not to be named didn't answer the phone midday on a Monday. Ended up at Innovative Auto in north Dallas (Carrolton) who could start that day on it. Charlie there has been great to work with so far.

He did a full post purchase inspection for me and identified several things. The big news as I anxiously awaited his evaluation was that my little blue pcar has a supercharger on it. He's doing a couple other little projects for me and I'll report back on how I'm running soon. :dance: there's very little info online about these such as nowhere can I find expected hp #s.

It appears to be a TPC kit with an Eaton (gm sourced) blower. A quick call to TPC on the east coast where the car is from only got me a "yeah, it's probably our kit".

Guess I didn't really know what I was buying as it was bolted under the motor. :ah:
Old 03-17-2016, 06:57 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
Decided as I'm in the process of moving with a pregnant wife to make a decision. I'm outsourcing the AOS job. What'd you think I was gonna sell out. Haha.

Took it to one of the closer shops as the job seemed light enough. First shop I called not to be named didn't answer the phone midday on a Monday. Ended up at Innovative Auto in north Dallas (Carrolton) who could start that day on it. Charlie there has been great to work with so far.

He did a full post purchase inspection for me and identified several things. The big news as I anxiously awaited his evaluation was that my little blue pcar has a supercharger on it. He's doing a couple other little projects for me and I'll report back on how I'm running soon. :dance: there's very little info online about these such as nowhere can I find expected hp #s.

It appears to be a TPC kit with an Eaton (gm sourced) blower. A quick call to TPC on the east coast where the car is from only got me a "yeah, it's probably our kit".

Guess I didn't really know what I was buying as it was bolted under the motor. :ah:
Cool find. Looking forward to hearing more.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:06 PM   #30

Great looking car, welcome to the club.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:07 AM   #31

Garage
Got the ride back a couple days ago from the shop with new front brakes, mass air, and aos.

Got to work on the iPad mini. With the fourth gen mini it supports split view so I can run maps (Waze) on one side and a decent growing number on the other.

Rough draft:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2016, 07:17 AM   #32

Garage
Looks great
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 03-23-2016, 08:18 PM   #33

Garage
Sad day, boxster moves into a new garage in a week and got hit by a nasty hailstorm parked outside half an hour ago. Plastic window broke and all. I'd say the hail was lollipop size.... Got our other two vehicles as well.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #34

Garage
That is a bummer! We didn't get the hail in Bedford, just a lot of lightning. Time to upgrade the top to the glass window. I did it a few years ago and it is well worth it!

https://goo.gl/photos/J3GZZVzaiyjRnRPr5
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights

Last edited by BruceH; 03-23-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:10 PM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Time to upgrade the top to the glass window. I did it a few years ago and it is well worth it!
Looks like it. Worried about the trunk lids and fenders too. See what insurance says...