Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2016, 04:33 PM   #1

factory five 818 coupe

dunno why i didn't see this before. i was aware of the ffr 818, but the new coupe is out - 1800 lbs and as much subi hp as you want. $10k kit and donor wrx. cayman killer ...

Last edited by The Radium King; 02-24-2016 at 04:36 PM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:06 PM   #2

Garage
I read somewhere that they were working with Ford to drop the new Eco-boost engines in there. 1800 pounds and an off-the-shelf 310hp engine. Nice!
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:16 PM   #3
Racer Boy

"Grassroots Motorsports" built one of the roadsters, and it is an interesting read. They ended up doing a comparison with a 986, and as you might guess, the 818 spanked the 986 in performance. However, they said that in day-to-day use, the Boxster was much more pleasant to live with, with all day-long comfort, and amenities like good climate control, a sound system, sound-deadening material, good cargo capacity, and proven reliability.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #4

Garage
You can actually just install any engine you like. Just because they say put a suby engine in it doesn't mean you must. However with some of the new closed deck built motors going for 4k and warranty claims of being able to handle more than 800whp. Sounds fun to me.

As for the ecoboost. That argument goes the same as the one against the lsx. The cost and availability of such a motor won't be as common or cheap. So it's kinda an unreasonable solution. Current tuner engines like the LSX and EJ25 etc that are easy to come by and build power on are a more valid solution. Even if you hate those engines.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2016, 10:09 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
You can actually just install any engine you like. Just because they say put a suby engine in it doesn't mean you must. However with some of the new closed deck built motors going for 4k and warranty claims of being able to handle more than 800whp. Sounds fun to me.

Yes, but you still have to have a WRX donor - there is a lot more than just the engine that the 818 uses. Plus, all the desigin work was for a subaru, you'd have to do a bit of fabricating to get something else, so this plus an engine will really drive the cost up on one of these.

But ya - a 480 hp LSx eRod would be just the ticket for that car :-)
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #6

Garage
Blown engine wrxs are in abundance. The stock open deck EJ has a fatal flaw that most people expose, it can't handle much more than 450whp and that is pushing it. People let go of these shells for chump change.