Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2023, 03:39 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
My 2000 S has the same issue, very faint on acceleration and cruising, sometimes not noticeable, but very pronounced while decelerating when the rpm's swipe through the 3000+- range.
Ive got nothing productive to add, other than seems to be a more common problem than I thought. The engine in my car has been replaced during prior ownership, with a 2002 S-engine. Maybe they didnt do the flywheel at that time. Receipts show clutch components, but no flywheel.
Are there visible clues if a dual mass flywheel has gone past it's lifespan?
My 03 base Boxster has done it for the last 160k miles and I assume it did so for 20k before I bought it. It’s very minor and something I have long ago tuned it out, unless I am looking for it.

Old 06-17-2023, 05:21 AM   #22

Nice blast from the past with all the wise old contributors.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 04:09 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Nice blast from the past with all the wise old contributors.
Hey Husker, how are you doing?

I have never had this issue with my 2001 S (knock on wood) but my base 2001 had this issue until I replaced the Dual Mass Flywheel. I did that when I replaced the IMS bearing. Yes, that was a few years ago.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 06:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Hey Husker, how are you doing? .
Hi Jager.

I'm on the correct side of the dirt. Been a yr since I got the engine back for my CSS b/c of bore scoring, bought an 89 928 S4 5--spd almost a yr ago, had a heart attack a wk before Christmas, and I've lost 25 lbs. Typical yr at the Husker Boxster household.

How's the rocket science business?

http://986forum.com/forums/off-topic-discussions/82454-shark-2-has-arrived.html
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 07:28 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Hi Jager.

I'm on the correct side of the dirt. Been a yr since I got the engine back for my CSS b/c of bore scoring, bought an 89 928 S4 5--spd almost a yr ago, had a heart attack a wk before Christmas, and I've lost 25 lbs. Typical yr at the Husker Boxster household.

How's the rocket science business?

http://986forum.com/forums/off-topic-discussions/82454-shark-2-has-arrived.html

My 997 C4S custom built motor is starting to use oil in cylinder #5. Changed out the fuel injector but appears to be too late, the rings are shot due to carbon/glazing. Going to think about my next steps for that repair.

How's the rocket science business? I was on vacation this week and got called-in to support one of our launches at the Cape. Never a dull moment.

Healthwise I'm doing OK, just getting older and a little slower... LOL.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 02:40 PM   #26
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure that a vibration at 3000 RPM is the front engine mount. I replaced mine and it largely fixed the problem. I say largely because it is still slightly there, but I discovered that I put my mount in upside down. Why?

(...Going from memory, it's been a couple of years since I replaced this...)

The original 986 mount that I took out was clearly shot. When I went to our host to by a replacement I discovered that the 986 mount has been replaced by the 987 mount. Great. I ordered mine and installed it aligned the same way as the original and the problem was massively improved. But still with a slight resonance at 3000 RPM.

Looking again, I discovered that there is an alignment notch cut into the outer tube of the mount, which should align with the bracket on the engine. It looks like the 987 mount is installed rotated 180 degrees from how the 986 mount was mounted.

Think of it as a circular tube with a thick rubber insert shaped like an "A" installed. The 986 mount had the "A" installed this way: ^

The 987 mount was marked to have the A installed this way: V

I've never gone back to fix it since it's a minor annoyance. I doubt most people would even notice. But one day if I'm in there, I'll flip it over.

The cost of the mount isn't alot -- so don't sweat the scare stories about the dual mass clutch. If you're careful, you can even replace the mount without draining the coolent system and removing the coolent hoses which are near the mount.

jluetjen is offline   Reply With Quote