Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2006, 03:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Dan Akroid - went to a recording studio and did 'Hand Claps' on an album he was producing
That was you!?! How do you get a gig like that?

Were you at the theater or something and some scouts overheard you?
<> "Him, that's the one we want for Dan's new record!"

2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
That was you!?! How do you get a gig like that?

Were you at the theater or something and some scouts overheard you?
<> "Him, that's the one we want for Dan's new record!"
Nah,

He was staying at my Hotel and aked if I wanted to tag along to the Recording Studio (Paisley Park Studios - Prince's Studio in Mpls.) and watch recording of Big Bill Hickey and his Band - Jimmy Rodgers, Hubert Sumlin, Willie Murphy, Bob Stroger. You probably know of Akroid's involvement with the House of Blues, additionally, he promotes and produces lots of lesser-known Blues Bands as well.

We got there and were watching in the Engineer's Booth. They wanted to add a Hand-Clap track and used the traditional method of a Clap Board (2 pieces of wood hinged together and clapped), but on Playback, they didn't think the sound was realistic enough, so they asked those of us watching - Akroid, myself and a couple of Dan's friends to go into the studio and put the headphones on and clap to the background track. The finished album was called Bill's Blues on the Atomic Theory Records label - catalog # ATD 1112.

I'd never been involved with a recording before, so it was really interesting to watch how it was done...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-12-2006 at 12:39 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:11 AM   #23

Who is Jeremy Priven, please?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

That's a pretty impressive list. I have an old buddy in the Hotel Biz (where I spent 20+ years) and we have a running bet as to who has had meals or other significant time with celebrities. Some of my list:

Dinners:

Morey Amsterdam - genuinly funny guy

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
I grew up in Beverly Hills and worked in the entertainment industry later in life, so meeting and working with celebrities has been pretty normal. Don't have enough room to name all the actors, politicians, musicians, etc. that were my friends' parents or I worked with. Some are nice, some not - just like anyone. But I do remember that when I was a kid, Morey Amsterdam, who lived down the street, was really mean to my friends and me every Halloween.