Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2016, 09:30 AM   #41

Garage
Is anyone running Rotella Synthetic T6 5W-40 in their boxster?

I have been learning about oils and how many "synthetics" in the US are really base III dino oil with some additives. Includes Mobil-1, Castrol and others to keep costs down.

I know, it is a loaded question......

Thanks

ksjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:50 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterLS376 View Post
Interesting wheels, I assume they are aftermarket?
These are OE Porsche 986 wheels, but obviously seldom seen. They are 17 inch and called Dyno.

A fun thing to do is to obtain the 5/96 issue of Christophorus magazine (Porsche's publication) which is the introduction issue for the 986 Boxster. These wheels are described on page 91. I'd like to have a set.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:56 PM   #43

You should download or order a copy of 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster by this forum's owner.
It's a must own book. I keep a copy on all my Android devices. It lists every common repair and maintenance fix and shows icons for price of parts, estimated labor time and degree of expertise needed. And get one of those bluetooth OBD II plug ins to use with your smart phone. Very useful for those CEL lights that come on during a long drive home in the middle of the night.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:41 PM   #44

Garage
Thanks. I bought a copy. Have yet to do any of the projects yet though. Bought a used rear speaker setup that will have to be installed. Probably change the 4x40 amp to a 6x40. Also ordered some new speakers for the dash. Door speakers will have to wait.

Oil change is my next thing to do. Bought oil this afternoon. Pennzoil ultra euro 5w-40. Seems to be good stuff (at least specs are comparable to everything else) $2/qt closeout at Autozone!

Still curious about the Rotella T6 though?
Old 01-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #45

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjohn View Post
Thanks. I bought a copy. Have yet to do any of the projects yet though. Bought a used rear speaker setup that will have to be installed. Probably change the 4x40 amp to a 6x40. Also ordered some new speakers for the dash. Door speakers will have to wait.

Oil change is my next thing to do. Bought oil this afternoon. Pennzoil ultra euro 5w-40. Seems to be good stuff (at least specs are comparable to everything else) $2/qt closeout at Autozone!

Still curious about the Rotella T6 though?
Oil discussion is going to be a downhill thread anytime it's brought up. Really you can run aNY oil on the Porsche approved list and there's other good choices that aren't on the list. It's all a matter of how much you want to pay.

Since I change my oil more often than it would be worth to invest in Joe Gibbs dt 40 or motul, I use the Castrol edge 0w40. My advice is don't bring up oil on this forum. Everyone has a different opinion and the truth is every full synthetic in the a40 category will suffice in the correct weight. Change it often.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:32 AM   #46

Garage
Regarding seats, are the seat cushions interchangeable side to side?

My driver seat is trashed (I can't really imagine what someone did to rip it up so much!) The seat is pleated Savannah beige with electric adjustment. I don't need a new frame, just the seat cushions.

So I was wondering if the cushions from a passenger seat would work?

Thanks for any input. Also, if anyone has good seat cushions they want to sell, please PM me.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:03 PM   #47

Garage
I began changing my oil for the first time today. Drained the oil and dropped the sump. See the attached pictures of debris I found in the sump. Most of it is plastic but there were 2 metal pieces large enough to pic out. They appear to be part of a bearing, about 4.8 mm long, ferrous.

I did a quick check of the filter and didn't seem anything obvious in it. I will tear it apart tomorrow and do a better check. The oil was pretty dark, supposedly it had been in the car for 2 years.

Is there anything in the engine besides the IMS bearing that would shed pieces like this?

Thanks

Old 01-31-2016, 08:20 AM   #48

Garage
So yesterday a friend and I started the process of replacing the IMS and clutch. Things came apart without too much trouble, maybe 3 1/2 hours to get the tranny off.

Looks like the RMS has been leaking. Got the cams positioned and locked along with the crank pulley. Then pulled the IMS bearing.

The IMS was in much better shape than I expected. It wobbled, but it would spin OK and the outer seal was still intact.

There was a lot of oil behind the bearing, and the IMS tube was full of metal particles. The back seal was also intact with a bunch of metal particles clinging to the edge. I pulled the seals off the bearing, it is intact but loose. It had been wearing for a long time. I am going to pull the races off today and inspect the bearings. If it wasn't the IMS bearing debris in my sump, then what was it.

It took quite a while top clean all the metal particles out of the IMS tube, but finally got it as I wanted and installed the new bearing. I went with the EPS solution. It took a little effort, but got the new bearing seated.

As I had heard described before, the IMS tube was not centered in the hole and was slightly up and to the left. But it easily centered when I installed the IMS cover. Installed the bolts and used thread sealer on the cover bolts and the center stud nut.

I will be replacing the RMS today. I am also going to replace the flywheel. It might be serviceable with a little polishing, it does seem to function properly per the spring back test. But, it has 87K on it, so it is really at end of life anyway and I don't want to tear out the tranny again soon.

New flywheel is on the way and hope to get it installed next week and finish everything up.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:29 PM   #49

Garage
I am making more progress toward getting the Boxster back together and on the road. Last night I replaced the RMS. I was afraid that I had installed it too far, but measured today and it is right where it should be.

I installed the new flywheel. I made a bracket to hold the flywheel while I torqued the bolts. I didn't like the idea of putting all that stress on the crankshaft pinned at the other end. I did wish I had a bigger breaker bar though.

I was getting ready to install the clutch and I noticed something that seemed odd. My new Sachs clutch disk has a narrower band of friction material than the original OEM clutch disk.

Can anyone tell me why there is this difference between the OEM disk and a well known brand? Seems that the disk with more material would last longer.

Thanks