Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2015, 06:00 PM   #1
808 Boxster

Garage
Replace Door Lock?

Bought 2001 used Boxster in 2013 and have been using key to lock/unlock doors since car came with only one key and no remote entry fob. The driver side door lock went 'limp' and the key freely spins without locking or unlocking the door.

I removed the part in question, and disassembled the key barrel - eventually finding one of the orientation rings or washers with its two vertical posts snapped off.

My question is - do I have to buy the whole part (#99653796303) or can I simply acquire a replacement ring/washer?

If I have to buy the whole part - how does it get set to my current key or do I place my current lock barrel in the new part? All seems very redundant if I can't buy the one piece that broke?

bsuttonboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:33 AM   #2

Garage
This is the kit you need. Some of the pieces aren't the same, but the piece you need is exact.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BT1GUNK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #3
808 Boxster

Garage
Thanks 911monty, I've ordered the kit you referenced in hopes that the single piece I need is in there. I've added a picture of all the pieces, including the two broken bits and it looks almost exactly like the picture on your link. Mine has two little bow tie notches inside the ring which I am not seeing on the link but that may not be an issue or maybe the piece can be modified if necessary. $20 including shipping worth the risk compared to hundreds.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:50 PM   #4

Garage
If you look at the picture of the parts in the link I sent the part in the lower left is the piece I believe you need. Mine was in like 3 pieces when I did mine. If you pull the tumbler be careful. There are many very small springs inside.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:58 PM   #5
808 Boxster

Garage
It works!

Thanks 911monty, I got the kit you recommended and it did include the exact piece I needed. I replaced it last weekend and reinstalled in the driver door and everything works. Now I just need to figure out how to lubricate it as the key doesn't insert or turn as smoothly as I'd like - looks like it is coming down to either dry graphite powder blown into the lock or 3in1 dry lock spray.

Thanks again.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsuttonboxster View Post
Thanks 911monty, I got the kit you recommended and it did include the exact piece I needed. I replaced it last weekend and reinstalled in the driver door and everything works. Now I just need to figure out how to lubricate it as the key doesn't insert or turn as smoothly as I'd like - looks like it is coming down to either dry graphite powder blown into the lock or 3in1 dry lock spray.

Thanks again.
Guess I should have given a little more info on that in my original post. You have 2 options. One is take the assembly to a locksmith or do as I did, which is disassemble the lock mechanism, clean and lube with White Lithium Grease. I cannot overemphasize how many small parts are involved and MUST be installed in the correct sequence.
Once you removed the spring and the ring you replaced, you can remove the lock tumbler. Place the assembly in a plastic bag so you do not lose any springs when you remove the tumbler. Yours are most likely stuck with old dry grease but will eject at the worst moment, Take note of the sequence of the lock components they must be installed exactly as removed to match the key. Once you have the tumbler disassembled clean all parts and re assemble coating each part with the white lithium grease. If any of the small springs are lost or broken they can be picked up at a good locksmith. This is really the best option since the original dry grease is the problem and graphite only makes a mess. Good Luck if you go this route.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:22 PM   #7
808 Boxster

Garage
Thanks 911monty. This is my only car and daily driver so I'm a little hesitant to take apart the tumbler. The repaired lock is working fine, even if not silky smooth, but the next time I'm working on the door I'll pull the lock again and take the tumbler to a locksmith for cleaning/greasing.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:33 PM   #8

I have the same problem sirs... I just want to ask if the parts from amazon actually worked on your car? I have a 2001 Porsche Boxster even though its old I fell in love with it (my1st Porsche) and I plan to fix all the problems it shows right now. Please let me know and I will do it exactly how you guys discussed it. Thank you and merry Christmas!!!! Any other tips concerning this project will be much appreciated!!!
Arthsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 06:20 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthsac View Post
I have the same problem sirs... I just want to ask if the parts from amazon actually worked on your car? I have a 2001 Porsche Boxster even though its old I fell in love with it (my1st Porsche) and I plan to fix all the problems it shows right now. Please let me know and I will do it exactly how you guys discussed it. Thank you and merry Christmas!!!! Any other tips concerning this project will be much appreciated!!!
The Amazon kit will work for your lock. Mine has been working well going on 2 years. If your lock turns round and round then this kit is what you need. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2017, 02:05 PM   #10
808 Boxster

Garage
Arthsac, sorry for the delayed response - out of the loop for holidays. The kit I bought from Amazon worked perfectly - it included an exact match of the part that had broken. I only needed the one part of the kit but now I have some extra spare parts. Installed new part and lock has been working ever since using the key - car does not currently have remote lock/unlock. Hope it works for you, please let me know if you have any questions.