View Single Post
Old 12-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #6
911monty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsuttonboxster View Post
Thanks 911monty, I got the kit you recommended and it did include the exact piece I needed. I replaced it last weekend and reinstalled in the driver door and everything works. Now I just need to figure out how to lubricate it as the key doesn't insert or turn as smoothly as I'd like - looks like it is coming down to either dry graphite powder blown into the lock or 3in1 dry lock spray.

Thanks again.
Guess I should have given a little more info on that in my original post. You have 2 options. One is take the assembly to a locksmith or do as I did, which is disassemble the lock mechanism, clean and lube with White Lithium Grease. I cannot overemphasize how many small parts are involved and MUST be installed in the correct sequence.
Once you removed the spring and the ring you replaced, you can remove the lock tumbler. Place the assembly in a plastic bag so you do not lose any springs when you remove the tumbler. Yours are most likely stuck with old dry grease but will eject at the worst moment, Take note of the sequence of the lock components they must be installed exactly as removed to match the key. Once you have the tumbler disassembled clean all parts and re assemble coating each part with the white lithium grease. If any of the small springs are lost or broken they can be picked up at a good locksmith. This is really the best option since the original dry grease is the problem and graphite only makes a mess. Good Luck if you go this route.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote