Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2006, 06:13 PM   #1

new engine - not disclosed

I was considering purchasing a 2002 Boxster S with 58,000 miles on odometer from a large car dealer. I had the car inspected by a porsche dealership and was told the engine had been replaced at 47,000 miles. The car also had a rear main gasket that was replaced at 58,000 miles. While the new engine has only 11,000 actual miles, this information was not disclosed to me by the dealer. I'm somewhat interested in this car, but I'm also a little bit apprehensive too. This would be my first porsche purchase and I want to be satisfied that I get off on a good start. Could someone give me some advice. . . .

performance1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #2

Just as a guess, the car dealer may not have known about the engine history of the car. When you took it to a Porsche dealer for inspection, they were able to pull up the warranty history of the car from the VIN, thus revealing the replacement engine and the rear main seal (?) replacement on the replacement engine.
An interesting, if worrisome, history for the car.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:11 PM   #3

Hi,

If the PPI passed the Car, the fact that the engine had been changed is fairly irrelevant. Better a Passed Inspection with a new engine, than a failed one with the original. Just because a Car has the original engine does not mean that it cannot fail in short order after you acquire it - no guarantees.

The only concern would be if you were thinking about short-term ownership. Then a replaced engine could affect your resale value. But, if you are considering 5+ years of ownership, any affect, if any, of having a replacement engine will have minimal impact on the resale price you will get.

These are generalities, but in this instance, the fact that the RMS has been changed in the new engine is the most worrisome factor. It hasn't gone enough miles since the RMS service to know if this fix is correct. I'd much rather have seen the RMS changed 20k mi. ago, then you can be sure they repaired it properly...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:29 AM   #4

Most used car dealers would NOT know about the engine change. I would find this out, as I check all my Porsches out with the local service shop when I buy them.

I would disclose this type of issue, which I DON'T view negatively.

Now, if they had not disclosed body damage etc, that would be an issue to be concerned about.

Enjoy!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote