Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpyAl View Post
It's not fast. But it's way quicker point to point than most can understand until they have had time to get their head around the mid-engine handling.

People are just assuming you're one of those mere mortals, don't take offence.

What are you compensating for? Poor spelling skills?

p.s. Hope your drive home is awesome. But as soon as you can, upload pics man!!!

yes my spelling is horibel.. horrabol... bad to be fair most of my post are done on my phone, please forgive me.

lots of posts guys, thank you very much. I'm enjoying the back and forth and hope other are as well. sorry for those who don't like these kind of threads. i'll ease up on the "lol" also.

so the drive home was so fun. i did get a feel for how this kind of car differs from others I've owned. also noticed that it doesn't wake up till about 3700rpms, then it sets you back pretty nicely It does seem like the suspension was a wise move. does anyone have any thoughts on the lowering springs? just a question... don't hate on me lol... i mean ha ha ha

driving school..... again i hear ya and not saying anyone is wrong. i just cant see me paying some one to show me that. but I'm also out in the sticks of the thumb in Michigan where there is not much around. as long as i can dodge cows in the road i should be OK.

that shifter feels a little stiff. is that normal?

notice my navigator in the passenger seat my little buddy loves doing car stuff with me. the man upstairs has blessed me.

as far as my other cars "pics of said supras" etc. lo... ha ha I'll load up some pics of some of my projects as well.

Attached Images

compinsating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:47 PM   #42

Sorry bud, I assumed that 'Compensating' was taken so you switched a vowel!
Plenty of great people have been rubbish at spelling. In the office beside me there's a guy who drives a Maserati GT, owns several office complexes and can't spell to save himself. Wish I had his problems.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:56 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Get to know your local Porsche Club, NASA chapter, or SCCA chapter and do some track days or autocross events. The Boxster is a great road course car, but it takes experience and some time with an instructor to know how to really drive it (or any other car, for that matter). If you've never done an autocross or track day, you'll be stunned at how an experienced driver in a 1.8 Miata runs circles around you, even if you are in a 505HP Z06 vette.
i wont argue that. it came down to a miata or this porsche when. a porshe is not a vette and probably not a fair comparison so dont take me wrong guys i know this is a different experience. just understand i'm curious, excited, and just gleaning info. again i do appreciate all the input and the people who have not unsubscribed lo... i mean ha ha

ok so attached is the car i'm building right now. i'm actually building two of them one for me and one for my brother. mine is a 383 lt1 bolted to a boxster s trans. the other is a 5.3 lq9 twin turbo bolted to an audi 5hp. mine should be around 500hp and the 5.3 will be around 800hp. they will weigh about 2200lbs and stand at 40" tall with a 105 wheel base. they ARE NOT replicas or built on donor cars. i am building my own frames, and my own body. the closest car i can see that looks similar would be a noble.

the other picture is of my current vette. i stripped it down to the frame and redid everything on it. from radiator to rear end. i also cut out my fenders and made a wide body look in the rear. i currently have 305/35/18 on there. i'll post up some pics of my 5.3 twin turbo camaro and a supra pic or two when i fire up my tower pc.

anyway. thanks for reading guys.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2015, 04:00 PM   #44

Quote:
Sorry bud, I assumed that 'Compensating' was taken so you switched a vowel!
Plenty of great people have been rubbish at spelling. In the office beside me there's a guy who drives a Maserati GT, owns several office complexes and can't spell to save himself. Wish I had his problems.
no worries

one more of my current project. this was in the beginning stages. the panels are just held together with clamps and such.

i cant take credit for the design of the car. i bought the molds off a man in canada. great guy with some awesome vision. there is only three of these car. mine my brothers and his and i own the molds lol

Old 11-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #45
On the slippery slope

Garage
Those are some damn sticky tires!!!

Dont sweat speeling misstakes LOL

The more you drive the Boxster, the more you will like it
The power curve is about 3500-6000
comes on like gang busters and 3rd gear is good to just under 100
It has a good rev limiter, so you are safe to push it

as far as driving school, many of the PCA chapters have DE/TT track days. Lots of laps and they give you an instructor
I am doing one this weekend at Buttonwillow Raceway. cost under $300 for 2 days. You get almost 2 hours of actual track time
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 11-11-2015 at 05:44 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #46
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
I'm new. Who's the pimp?
You're poor.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:48 PM   #47

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
even if you are in a 505HP Z06 vette.
That's because Vettes (unless your talking about the actual LSA Race Cars you watch on TV) can't handle for anything. Takes no more than a mildly modified Miata, Civic or something AWD to overtake any typical Vette when it comes to anything but a Drag Strip. Even then I have my Reservations about those overdone Price Tags.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2015, 01:09 AM   #48
Teddyonine

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Never Forget!

Oh man.... You beat me to it! Is Johnny's ghost here?
Teddyonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:28 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Those are some damn sticky tires!!!

Dont sweat speeling misstakes LOL

The more you drive the Boxster, the more you will like it
The power curve is about 3500-6000
comes on like gang busters and 3rd gear is good to just under 100
It has a good rev limiter, so you are safe to push it

as far as driving school, many of the PCA chapters have DE/TT track days. Lots of laps and they give you an instructor
I am doing one this weekend at Buttonwillow Raceway. cost under $300 for 2 days. You get almost 2 hours of actual track time
Ya driving it in to work this morning was a blast. Took 3rd up to 86 then let off. This thing is fun
Old 11-12-2015, 01:37 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
That's because Vettes (unless your talking about the actual LSA Race Cars you watch on TV) can't handle for anything. Takes no more than a mildly modified Miata, Civic or something AWD to overtake any typical Vette when it comes to anything but a Drag Strip. Even then I have my Reservations about those overdone Price Tags.

No no no... ok come on... Ever here of the "corvette challenge"??? Read up on it cuz poerche was part of it as well. Seriously to say the vette handles like poo is just silly. Ive had a few and ive had some awd turbo eclipse's and now this porsche. Ill give cudos to any car but to say the vette is only a straight line kinda car ... Ya i dont think so lol this porsche handles like a dream for sure but my vettes does as well. My current vette has all poly bushings and an after market suspension. It handles great.

To the sticky tires in the other post. Had to, with the stock 300hp it would light em up. ive added about 150hp to it with 3:54 gears and a stall. I needed to get some of that to the ground

Last edited by compinsating; 11-12-2015 at 01:48 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:54 AM   #51

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by compinsating View Post
No no no... ok come on... Ever here of the "corvette challenge"??? Read up on it cuz poerche was part of it as well. Seriously to say the vette handles like poo is just silly. Ive had a few and ive had some awd turbo eclipse's and now this porsche. Ill give cudos to any car but to say the vette is only a straight line kinda car ... Ya i dont think so lol this porsche handles like a dream for sure but my vettes does as well. My current vette has all poly bushings and an after market suspension. It handles great.

To the sticky tires in the other post. Had to, with the stock 300hp it would light em up. ive added about 150hp to it with 3:54 gears and a stall. I needed to get some of that to the ground
Again, takes no more than a mildly setup Miata or Civic to over take any typical Corvette. I've owned personally 9 built DSMs and during my rein of terror running Southwest Speed back in the day have built or oversaw the builds of many, and not one vette myself nor any of the group I would frequently talk to would compete, quick in straights against any Low HP car but road hogs in corners. My last DSM, when I was racing it was rolling on complete built suspension, 426awhp/393awtq quick spooling TD06 20g, etc... I'd attend as many events as I could and never placed behind a single vette.

In fact I hardly ever see Vettes at the track. Mustangs, Miata, Hondas, couple Porsche, various other cars but usually only 1 or 2 Vettes per event and always in my way. And easily lapped

Old 11-12-2015, 02:04 AM   #52

Quote:
Again, takes no more than a mildly setup Miata or Civic to over take any typical Corvette. I've owned personally 9 built DSMs and during my rein of terror running Southwest Speed back in the day have built or oversaw the builds of many, and not one vette myself nor any of the group I would frequently talk to would compete, quick in straights against any Low HP car but road hogs in corners. My last DSM, when I was racing it was rolling on complete built suspension, 426awhp/393awtq quick spooling TD06 20g, etc... I'd attend as many events as I could and never placed behind a single vette.

In fact I hardly ever see Vettes at the track. Mustangs, Miata, Hondas, couple Porsche, various other cars but usually only 1 or 2 Vettes per event and always in my way. And easily lapped

*yawn* this thread isnt about vettes vs porsches but again ill say your comments are just silly. To say a vette is what you say ... Lol nope. Ive owned two dsm's as well one built and one stock. Besides the fact that we are comparing cars that are in different classes the vette holds its own against the best of them. This is about as juvenile as "my dad can beat up your dad" when in the end ... Both our dads can make pancakes on a sunday morning just fine for both our families lol. Dont get me wrong i love these debates but i stand by my view that to say a vette is junk compared to what ever is just silly. Shucks go read a motor trend or any other car mag that compares them. Vettes are amazing cars. Every car has its strengths and weakness
Old 11-12-2015, 02:07 AM   #53

Garage
Quote:
*yawn* this thread isnt about vettes vs porsches but again ill say your comments are just silly. To say a vette is what you say ... Lol nope. Ive owned two dsm's as well one built and one stock. Besides the fact that we are comparing cars that are in different classes the vette holds its own against the best of them. This is about as juvenile as "my dad can beat up your dad" when in the end ... Both our dads can make pancakes on a sunday morning just fine for both our families lol. Dont get me wrong i love these debates but i stand by my view that to say a vette is junk compared to what ever is just silly. Shucks go read a motor trend or any other car mag that compares them. Vettes are amazing cars. Every car has its strengths and weakness
Weak!

Old 11-12-2015, 02:09 AM   #54

Quote:
Weak!

Lol right my dad can still beat up your dad lol
Old 11-12-2015, 02:10 AM   #55

Garage
Quote:
Lol right my dad can still beat up your dad lol
I just can't sleep.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:12 AM   #56

Quote:
I just can't sleep.

Go for a ride in your dsm. That will help you sleep lololol oh i patted my self on the back for that one lol

Your not gonna unsubscribe are ya its just car talk and all is well lol

Last edited by compinsating; 11-12-2015 at 02:52 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:25 AM   #57

Garage
Quote:
Go for a ride in your dsm. That will help you sleep lololol oh i latted my self on the back for that one lol

Your not gonna unsubscribe are ya its just car talk and all is well lol
I haven't owned a DSM in over 3 years. I've had the Porsche for 2 of those, and despite it being severely slow compared, it's reliable and good looking and that's more important to me at this point. Last thing I need is an expensive paper weight.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:38 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
You're poor.

I might have to get you to spell this one out for me, can I assume that you aren't referring to my financial situation?
TrumpyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:44 AM   #59
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:

I might have to get you to spell this one out for me, can I assume that you aren't referring to my financial situation?
The guy in that pic told us all how poor we all really are compared to his daddy that just bought him a used base. How he smoked a joint in a rare 911 with a Saudi prince who didn't care he ashed on the carpet. How daddy owned Lambos and Ferraris, but again, bought him a older base.

Then he told us we are all poor and doing it wrong. I took comfort in telling him well, at least I could hold you against the ground for pretty much as long as I wanted to...

Total egomaniac. Glad he's gone.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:52 AM   #60

Oh ok, I was lacking inside knowledge

cheers

TrumpyAl is offline   Reply With Quote