Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
98 Arctic silver 986
 
tommy583's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 1,279
Garage
Oil change drain pan

Anyone that does their own oil changes on these cars knows how fast the oil comes out. They also know the large amount of oil these cars have in them. I have tried a few different catch pans in the last few years. The one that worked out the best so far is a 15QT pan I modified with a bigger hole and some wire mesh. The main problem with this pan how full it is when i'm done. It makes it hard to pour the old oil back into the jugs without making a mess. Well I picked up this new 16QT pan from walmart the other day. I haven't used it yet, but this looks like it will work like a charm.

16qt Oil Drain Container - Walmart.com

This is the old pan I used
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/flotool-15-quart-drain-container-11838mi/9017658-P?navigationPath=L1*14924%7CL2*15045%7CL3*16237


Last edited by tommy583; 11-05-2015 at 06:37 PM.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Pdwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 2,079
I have that same pan from Wally World and it works pretty good. I recently got a Mityvac evacuator from my wife as a gift, I have not tried it on the Boxster yet...but it worked so well on my E36 I can see it as my goto from now on involving removing liquid from "Things"

http://www.zoro.com/mityvac-fluid-evacuatorbrake-bleeder-pneumatic-07300/i/G0973174/?gclid=CjwKEAiAmeyxBRCJxoKk7IWLl2oSJABvZjhh5dWFZy5 vbXdF4gA07hePNF3TnZknQxr6k3trP6ljCBoC9Tnw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by Pdwight; 11-05-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:14 PM   #3
Registered User
 
steved0x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 3,993
I've got that same one, just recently got it, haven't used it yet. Looks nice, I will change my oil in a few weeks and report back unless you beat me to it
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:37 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 1,195
That oil inlet hole looks like it may be too small to allow the oil to flow fast enough into the container before the level overflows the top. Hopefully that is not the case. I just use a conventional open oil container, it easily has taken oil from 911's , 914's , my diesel truck which have all contained 10 - 12 quarts per pop.
__________________
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:44 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Joe B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Posts: 800
I've had both of those containers for my F-250 diesel truck that holds 15 qts. of oil. I have the 15 qt. round one and the 16 qt. square one. I've had problems with the caps on both. The pour cap that you use to drain the oil from the round one leaked. They sent me several replacement caps. They all leaked too. On the 16 qt. square pan, the vent cap constantly pops open by itself. Poor moldings. I'm going to contact FloTool about that issue too. They need to get their act together.

No problem with overflow though .

Last edited by Joe B; 11-06-2015 at 04:46 AM.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:27 AM   #6
Registered User
 
mikesz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cranston RI
Posts: 864
Garage
I have the 15qt round from walmart. works fine for me but I undo the drain cap so the air can escape I also usually put a piece of cardboard underneath cause you do get some splash. You gotta open the drain spout so air can escape or the oil wont flow into the drain pan fast enough and it will overflow. I don't drain back into the jugs I just take the black container to the landfill and empty it.
__________________
99 Porsche Boxster
mikesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:27 AM   #7
98 Arctic silver 986
 
tommy583's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 1,279
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I've got that same one, just recently got it, haven't used it yet. Looks nice, I will change my oil in a few weeks and report back unless you beat me to it
Unfortunately I'll probably beat you too it. I'll be doing my going to sleep for the winter oil change in the next few days
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:34 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I have that same pan from Wally World and it works pretty good. I recently got a Mityvac evacuator from my wife as a gift, I have not tried it on the Boxster yet...but it worked so well on my E36 I can see it as my goto from now on involving removing liquid from "Things"

Mityvac Fluid Evacuator/Brake Bleeder, Pneumatic 07300 | Zoro.com
Two well known problems with these things:
  1. They do not drain all the oil out of the sump.
  2. The tubing that you insert into the dipstick tube (which many cars no longer even have) often gets caught on various things inside the sump, preventing its extraction. We just had another car flat bedded into the shop for this exact reason.

From experience, I am not a fan of these units, they cause more problems than they solve. If you cannot jack the car up to drain the oil properly, take it to someone that can.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:37 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
I have the 15qt round from walmart. works fine for me but I undo the drain cap so the air can escape I also usually put a piece of cardboard underneath cause you do get some splash. You gotta open the drain spout so air can escape or the oil wont flow into the drain pan fast enough and it will overflow. I don't drain back into the jugs I just take the black container to the landfill and empty it.
If you need to control oil splash during draining's, buy a short section (6 inches or so) or a 4-6 inch diameter PVC pipe, then drill about a dozen or so 1/4 diameter holes around the circumference of one end. Set the pipe in your drain pan, but not over the actual drain opening, and allow the oil to drop into the pipe and then run out into the pan itself; any splash with be retained inside the pipe.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:59 AM   #10
Registered User
 
lkchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA
Posts: 667
Extractors are the way to go, but the car has to be designed for it.

The Boxster isn't.

Most of the cars designed for this have oil filter easily accessed from the top, too. Again, the Boxster doesn't. Somewhat the nature of mid and rear engine configurations, perhaps.

FYI, the extractors used at a Mercedes dealership don't involve a tube down the dipstick tube, but rather a tight seal at the top of the dipstick tube. Better, but more expensive and not universal.

When the car is designed for it and the equipment is good, extractors get all the oil out.
__________________
Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
2001 Boxster
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
3 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:20 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Joe B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Posts: 800
FWIW, I just spoke with FloTool, and they are aware of the leakage issues, and are going to send me several replacement vent caps. I hope they work better than the original one !
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Emerald City
Posts: 885
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
FWIW, I just spoke with FloTool, and they are aware of the leakage issues, and are going to send me several replacement vent caps. I hope they work better than the original one !
Let me know what you find out. I own the 15 quart round one, but would prefer the 16 quart one as it looks easier to drain. But if the vent cap is no good (same thing is a problem on my 15) I'd like to know there is a remedy before purchase.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Pdwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Two well known problems with these things:
  1. They do not drain all the oil out of the sump.
  2. The tubing that you insert into the dipstick tube (which many cars no longer even have) often gets caught on various things inside the sump, preventing its extraction. We just had another car flat bedded into the shop for this exact reason.

From experience, I am not a fan of these units, they cause more problems than they solve. If you cannot jack the car up to drain the oil properly, take it to someone that can.
It got all the oil out of my E36 , only a tiny trickle was left and that stopped in a couple of seconds
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:38 AM   #14
98 Arctic silver 986
 
tommy583's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 1,279
Garage
Well the main difference between the pans is that the 16QT one seems to have way better seals on the caps. The 15QT seal on the pour spout is horrible. Also the hole for the oil to go into the pan is way to small and doesn't seal. I ended up making it bigger and covering it with wire mesh. The vent cap is the least of it's problems. The 16QT also can be stored on its end, that is if the seal in the pan part works.

I'll most likely be using it on Monday. I'll report my findings.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:14 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Joe B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Posts: 800
Well, I've used it twice and I can report my findings: the hole in the middle for the oil to go in is big enough, and with a vent cap that won't stay closed, you won't be storing it on end, at least not when there's oil in it. The guy I talked to at FloTool said that the replacement vent cap would seal tighter. We'll see .
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:18 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
It got all the oil out of my E36 , only a tiny trickle was left and that stopped in a couple of seconds
Your E36 is not your M96.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:49 PM   #17
98 Arctic silver 986
 
tommy583's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 1,279
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Well, I've used it twice and I can report my findings: the hole in the middle for the oil to go in is big enough, and with a vent cap that won't stay closed, you won't be storing it on end, at least not when there's oil in it. The guy I talked to at FloTool said that the replacement vent cap would seal tighter. We'll see .
The 16QT one i'm talking about has the vent cap on the top if it's standing on end. Check the pic in the first link I posted. (the walmart link).
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:22 PM   #18
98 Arctic silver 986
 
tommy583's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 1,279
Garage


I don't see how the vent cap leaking would even matter if I stored it like this. Not that I plan on storing oil in it anyway.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:12 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,680
After getting the Box I picked up one of the round 15 qt pans described above. It's worked pretty well for me with one huge exception. One of the first times I used it I accidentally dropped the hot oil drain plug from the car into the opening in the center of the catch pan. Needless to say it quickly overflowed---I ended up with a small sea of used motor oil (maybe 5' in diameter?) on the middle of the drive way. First thing I did (after spending at least an hour cleaning up the mess) was to get my electric drill with my 1/2" bit and drilled maybe 8-10 holes in the top surface of the catch pan. Never had that problem again. And yeah, opening the cap of the pour-off spout helps by allowing air out---I do that too.

I don't have problems with leakage because I always just pour it off into containers (the 5-qt oil jugs or, sometimes, gallon milk jugs) for recycling. Don't like keeping the stuff around---I move it out pretty quickly. I have a dedicated dirty-oil funnel and spillage is minimal. I work over newspaper or cardboard to catch the minor drips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If you need to control oil splash during draining's, buy a short section (6 inches or so) or a 4-6 inch diameter PVC pipe, then drill about a dozen or so 1/4 diameter holes around the circumference of one end. Set the pipe in your drain pan, but not over the actual drain opening, and allow the oil to drop into the pipe and then run out into the pan itself; any splash with be retained inside the pipe.
That's a pretty good idea, I may try that. I've accomplished more or less the same thing by cutting a milk gallon jug in half and inserting the neck of the opening into the opening in the oil catch-pan. Works pretty well, but is a bit less elegant than your solution.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
I don't drain back into the jugs I just take the black container to the landfill and empty it.
Geez, Really?? That really wreaks havoc with ground water...you really should be going to the trouble (and it's not really all that much trouble) of recycling the stuff.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:43 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,222
Instead of dump oil into the environment, if you do not have a recycling outlet nearby, check with some of your local repair shops as many of them heat their buildings using used oil burning heat systems. They will happily take your used oil in order to stay warm this winter.

__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page