Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2015, 09:19 PM   #1

Engine Bay

I managed to open the engine bay tonight to replace the air filter and noticed the cap here in the pic is quite oily. Im not sure what the cap is for yet, but should I be worried? Also, anything else I should look for since I have it open?

M3Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:23 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

That's power steering.

Change air filter. Drivers side.

Looks oily on the intake manifolds. Check AOS.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:42 PM   #3

Thanks, Timco! I'll look into that.

I'ts an '04, and I'm missing the bumper grills on both sides. I've looked on ebay, pelican parts, google.. cant seem to find it. I do not want to order from dealer. Any tips where I can find them?

Old 10-22-2015, 07:16 AM   #4

Garage
You should remove the P/S cap, clean it then reinsert to check fluid level. Looks like all that oil is from P/S reservoir, & when it gets low the pump wears. New P/S pump is expensive & a pain to replace. I recommend using a turkey baster to get as much old Pentosion out & refill with new Pentosion. Then extend the vent hose so it will vent below the engine instead of on it.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:56 PM   #5

Just got home from a 45 min drive thru traffic, looked underneath and noticed some drip on the floor. This part in the photo is all oily as you can see and the drip seems to be from there. Only a drop or so.

Also, about 5 min later when i returned to garage I see this puddle of water dripping. One photo shows the amount, the other is where it is dripping...Not sure what this is but I did have the a/c on for just a little while on the drive. Do not know what's going on....94k miles 2004 2.7
Old 10-23-2015, 09:38 PM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bonus View Post
...I'ts an '04, and I'm missing the bumper grills on both sides. I've looked on ebay, pelican parts, google.. cant seem to find it. I do not want to order from dealer. Any tips where I can find them?
I have been casually looking for them for a few months with no luck. What I have done for now is install a mesh screen in the intake to keep debris out.
You can get the mesh in the roofing and gutter section of a building supply store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) I cut it to shape and held it in with zip-ties. Not quite elegant, but better than a gaping hole.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:57 PM   #7
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bonus View Post
Just got home from a 45 min drive thru traffic, looked underneath and noticed some drip on the floor. This part in the photo is all oily as you can see and the drip seems to be from there. Only a drop or so.

Also, about 5 min later when i returned to garage I see this puddle of water dripping. One photo shows the amount, the other is where it is dripping...Not sure what this is but I did have the a/c on for just a little while on the drive. Do not know what's going on....94k miles 2004 2.7
So oil drip is from the oil filter canister. A new gasket comes with a new filter.

As for the water, if it tastes salty, it's one thing. If it tastes acidic, it's another it depends.

Kidding. Looks too clear to be coolant but you can look at the water pump to be sure and check for any leakage from there.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:10 AM   #8
Project Addicted

Check with Woody: itsnotanova on here for used parts.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:10 AM   #9

Thank you everyone for the replies. I'll reply once I take care of these and provide an update.