Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2015, 10:02 AM   #1

sad day

I gave her one last bath, pulled out the car cover, connected the battery tender, pumped up the tires and put the 2001 986 S away for the winter. I used the car this past summer more than any other year and still only put a couple/few thousand miles on it. almost 15 years old and it just rolled over 30K miles. Every fall when I put it away I think about selling it... then in the spring I can't wait to pull it out. This year I need you guys to talk me out of selling it... hope it's not another long winter!

Vince

m332is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #2

Why not just keep driving it through the winter? My 98 holds up fine in the New England winters just fine with the snow tires on it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
rbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

I DD all winter long but do switch to truck or VW on snow days or really freezing weather. It can be brutal here.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #4

This car is way too nice inside and out to subject it to the salt they use in Western NY (Rochester). I have an Audi S4 6 sp with 4 snows for the winter.
m332is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m332is View Post
This car is way too nice inside and out to subject it to the salt they use in Western NY (Rochester). I have an Audi S4 6 sp with 4 snows for the winter.
Pictures of s4, please. (I miss mine)
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #6

If you sell it you wont be able to replace it for the same amount of money........or you could always move down south and drive it all year round.:cool
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #7

When I was younger and the 356 was current, many of the adverts showed them with ski racks at the ski resort. Continued with 911s for a while, too.

I've got snow tires. And perhaps I agree there's more salt these days. Something about the mayor of Chicago, maybe.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:40 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
When I was younger and the 356 was current, many of the adverts showed them with ski racks at the ski resort. Continued with 911s for a while, too.

I've got snow tires. And perhaps I agree there's more salt these days. Something about the mayor of Chicago, maybe.

Due to a scheduling conflict I ended up taking forensics instead of physics.

Wouldn't a rear engined early 911 or 356 on thin tires be fairly unwise in the snow?
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #9

Quote:
I gave her one last bath, pulled out the car cover, connected the battery tender, pumped up the tires and put the 2001 986 S away for the winter. I used the car this past summer more than any other year and still only put a couple/few thousand miles on it. almost 15 years old and it just rolled over 30K miles. Every fall when I put it away I think about selling it... then in the spring I can't wait to pull it out. This year I need you guys to talk me out of selling it... hope it's not another long winter!

Vince
That's a low mileage car! I feel the same way with some of the cars I've sold in the past, until you drive it again as you mentioned in the spring. I'm sure you would regret selling it come next spring. I think we need to move to a warmer climate. I remember when I was around 21 years old I bought a 1974 Triumph TR6 in 1976 and that was my daily driver, that was pretty bad in snow. I sold my 396ci 4 speed 1971 El Camino to buy it, now that car was bad in snow until I put snow tires on it. I wish I would have kept that one. I guess we're pretty spoiled now with front, 4 wheel, or all wheel drive cars.
joecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #10

Down South

We will not have to do that until around Christmas, I spent quite a bit of time in Rochester and up north...I understand. Do you leave the car on Jack Stands to keep from forming flat spots on the tires ?
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:21 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:

Vince
Don't feel bad, I did the same thing today here They started spraying the salt brine on some of the bridges around here to keep them from freezing as the night time temps are dropping to around freezing at times.... So that put the cap on the season for me
H
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:59 PM   #12

Back in the '60s, rear engine VWs with narrow tires were the car of choice in snow.

I commuted across the DC city to high school through the snow for maybe 2 years in a '30 Ford Model A 2-door that not only had no defroster but also had mechanical brakes and very narrow tires. The tires had no treads running across them. Yet we always made it.

Narrow tires are an advantage. As is weight over the driven wheels.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
It can be brutal here.
LMAO!!
Old 10-19-2015, 05:22 PM   #14
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
LMAO!!
Well, not bagged milk brutal, but weeks of sub freezing.

Remember, you chose to live there. It doesn't really count. It's like me moving to Alaska and carving a log home in the forest and claiming permafrost land as my yard. That's how I've always imagined sub-divisions in Vancouver or Toronto. Like 50 people in a forest. I can't imagine remote villages like Winnipeg. Do you get weekly plane drops of supplies including the bagged milk? Are you cut off from the main population for 6-7 months or what? I'm guessing satellite only and no utilities?

Eh?

Isn't Canada where Americans go to hide or escape or not be found for whatever reason?

Last edited by Timco; 10-19-2015 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Add more Canadian insults
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:20 PM   #15

Quote: Last edited by Timco; Today at 08:25 PM. Reason: Add more Canadian insults

Dammit you made Pepsi come out of my nose! LOL!
Old 10-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #16
On the slippery slope

Garage
Coke, no Pepsi
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:09 AM   #17
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
LMAO!!
Yeah, i read that and peed my pants. Salt Lake City, you have no idea about 'brutal'. Try Winnipeg in mid January. Although last winter wasn't too bad, the winter before was most definitely 'brutal'. Record snow AND record cold temperatures in Winnipeg. Remember 'Colder than Mars'?

My Boxster will get buttoned up this week and put away until the weather reaches non Mars like conditions.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:17 AM   #18
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Well, not bagged milk brutal, but weeks of sub freezing.

Remember, you chose to live there. It doesn't really count. It's like me moving to Alaska and carving a log home in the forest and claiming permafrost land as my yard. That's how I've always imagined sub-divisions in Vancouver or Toronto. Like 50 people in a forest. I can't imagine remote villages like Winnipeg. Do you get weekly plane drops of supplies including the bagged milk? Are you cut off from the main population for 6-7 months or what? I'm guessing satellite only and no utilities?

Eh?

Isn't Canada where Americans go to hide or escape or not be found for whatever reason?
Well it isn't ALWAYS winter up here. This summer was particularly nice and so far the fall is a welcome continuation. I was out yesterday with the top down even. 18C and very sunny.

BTW, Vancouver isn't really part of Canada. They are wanna be San Franciscans or Seattleites except with more rain. They wouldn't know a real winter at all. And Toronto, well i lived there for 28 years and they also have no idea what real brutal winters are. Winnipeg, Edmonton, Tuktoyaktuk and Rankin Inlet. Now THERE is winter. (tongue firmly in cheek)
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Due to a scheduling conflict I ended up taking forensics instead of physics.

Wouldn't a rear engined early 911 or 356 on thin tires be fairly unwise in the snow?
You did indeed.

Narrow tires are much better in snow than wide tires. Check out world rally sometime. Snow is "aqua," too and wide tires aquaplane more.

Note that your Boxster owners manual calls for winter tires narrower than summer tires. That's not just for chains clearance.

In the day at least, most thought rear engine cars the best on snow. Granted, there weren't very many front-drive cars then.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
You did indeed.

Narrow tires are much better in snow than wide tires. Check out world rally sometime. Snow is "aqua," too and wide tires aquaplane more.

Note that your Boxster owners manual calls for winter tires narrower than summer tires. That's not just for chains clearance.

In the day at least, most thought rear engine cars the best on snow. Granted, there weren't very many front-drive cars then.
All that weight on the drive wheels? That's the way to go.

jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote