Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2015, 06:45 PM   #21
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I have a passenger side tail light and bulb holder if Woody doesn't have one. Where in NY are you? I live in upstate NY.

tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:45 PM   #22

I only have the amber/red taillights for $35 plus shipping
Old 09-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #23
stevendalia

Hi Tommy,
After trying to undo the bracket fasteners until my hands cramped, I think I'll go for the tail light. I don't think the access is different between the left and right sides. If it is, let me know. I'm in Rego Park (Queens). Please contact me by email: stevendalia@earthlink.net
Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #24
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I sent you an email.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:11 PM   #25
stevendalia

For anyone following this thread, there is good news to report. Thanks to Tommy583 (see above), a relatively simple (but time consuming fix is available). I was unable to undo the lock catch nuts with a wrench successfully, although it is also doable, but by carefully cutting the right rear tail light (used assemblies are available, and Tommy - thanks again - let me have one very, very reasonably). I masked the area around the tail light very well with about two layers of tape. I then covered the car completely with a plastic drop cloth and carefully cut a hole in the drop cloth around the tail light and taped the opening to the already applied masking tape around the tail lamp. This keep debris from getting under the drop cloth and touching the bumper or body. I then used a dremel type tool, and about 30 cut off wheels - finally switching to a fibre one, a 3/4" hole cutting bit on a regular drill, various flat screwdrivers, a small child and a dog. Having the replacement to go by, I could place my destruction surgically, and did not seem to do any other damage to the car, myself the child or the dog. It does take hours to do. Once the lamp is removed, the release could be accessed. My arm would not quite reach, but by holding a portable jack handle I was able to actuate it from the right side opening. Again, thank you Tommy. And thanks to all of you who had contributed to resolving this.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #26

Garage
Glad to hear you got it open, fun times!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #27
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Awesome news!! I'm glad it worked out for you. This is an example of why this is the best forum on the interwebs