Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2006, 07:22 PM   #41

If cash was not a factor.

1) 997 GT3 (my fav Porsche since the 993TT)
2) C6 ZO6 (one of the best car for the buck ever made)

The C5 I do not care for since it is just so big and the 997TT is UGLY from all the photos I have seen.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #42

Aston Martin, in my opinion, is a beautiful car. My favorite by far...hope I get to drive one some day.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:36 PM   #43

Well, if cash were not a factor, I'd say F430 Spyder... *sigh*...

or, maybe a Spyker of some sort, just to be different/weird.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:17 AM   #44

If cash were not a factor, I'd collect the entire "entry-level" series.. 246GT, 308, 328, 288GTO, 348, F40, F355, 360, F430...

They're all works of art.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:57 AM   #45

Smile

IMHO, no one styles a car like Pininfarina.

And the Ferrari Red is amazing.

BTW-I am thinking about buying a Red Ducati right now. The color is alurring and the sound, sublime.

Last edited by Brucelee; 04-27-2006 at 06:48 AM.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:05 AM   #46

If money wasn't a factor and reality wasn't either, I want the Batmobile from the 1989 movie with Michael Keaton in it. You know, the Batmobile with machine guns on it.

05' 987 Basalt Black Sold
http://photos.imageevent.com/rainand...s/DSC04327.JPG
jangobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:46 AM   #47

hmmm, i'd totally take the batmobile from Batman Begins!
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:42 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
The guys in Stuttgart hardly noticed. They have SUCH an attitude, they didn't even mind that the Penske/Porsche Lemans Prototypes lost to the Corvette C6R at Sebring this year.
It didn't help that the cars both broke...
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:58 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBoxster
It didn't help that the cars both broke...

Yes, having BOTH of your cars DNF is embarrassing.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:21 AM   #50

Can you even buy a Z06 for MSRP yet. I still see them advertised above MSRP. Also, autoweek said th wheel manufacturer went bankrupt(closed doors) and it would put a big hickup in Z06 deliveries.

I only say that because everyone always says bang for the buck, but I see them advertised above MSRP...so what is that buck amount exactly.

BACK on topic.....

I'll take the Pepsi Challenge with that Accord any day....in my 04 Box or in a borrowed M3 conv. You cannot toy with an M3 conv(late model i figured) in any accord.

05 S - looking...
lexuspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:51 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexuspilot
Can you even buy a Z06 for MSRP yet. I still see them advertised above MSRP. Also, autoweek said th wheel manufacturer went bankrupt(closed doors) and it would put a big hickup in Z06 deliveries.

I only say that because everyone always says bang for the buck, but I see them advertised above MSRP...so what is that buck amount exactly.

BACK on topic.....

I'll take the Pepsi Challenge with that Accord any day....in my 04 Box or in a borrowed M3 conv. You cannot toy with an M3 conv(late model i figured) in any accord.
If you shop well, yes you can buy them at MSRP. Over time, they will trade at less than MSRP (IMHO) UNLESS Chev. intentionally limits build units. Frankly, I see nothing to suggest they will.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:57 PM   #52

If it was a current model M3 vs an Accord v6 coupe, I would have to attest the M3's inabilities to driver deficiency. I cant count the amount of times I have read about someone cleaning up on a faster car simply because they know how to shift and drive.

As far as other cars go, Im surprised no one talks about TVR anymore. I have driven a few models and they are all amazing inspirations to the human driving spirit. And if you're left handed, you'll LOVE em LOL

I suppose its hard (or maybe impossible) to register an alternate position car here in the states? A few lucky folks got to register their mclarens and those guys sit in the middle!
5thtonbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #53

I suppose its hard (or maybe impossible) to register an alternate position car here in the states? A few lucky folks got to register their mclarens and those guys sit in the middle!

Drive-position is only a secondary deterrent to importing, the primary deterrent is compliance with all FMVSS (federal safety standards).

Imported cars built within the last 25 years have to comply with all FMVS standards in effect for the car's model year or be readily brought up to those standards after importing. The NHTSA maintains a list of approved cars. If you petitioned to bring in a TVR, then you'd have to have it certified by the manufacturer that the safety performance of the right-hand drive version is "substantially the same" as the left-hand version, which isn't compliant anyway. Long-story short...it's a non-starter.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #54

Maybe this is the subject of another thread but I seem to sense that other drivers have a certain disdain for the Porsche. It's some sort of jealousy. They can't afford one so it becomes something to despise. It's a class thing for sure. Ditto for BMW's. I'm not sure the Corvette suffers tthe same fate. It seems to be viewed as the working class hero of sporting cars. Lambo's and Ferraris are just so far out they seem above the fray.

I seem to attract confrontations in the Porsche that I don't get in my SUV and never on my Harley. Granted some of it is my fault because when I'm dissed I like to get in their faces. Especially dudes in pickups who think they can cut you off. This shocks and surprises them.

Its funny how vehicles elicit this class distinction. I never noticed it before but people suck.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:54 PM   #55

On the flipside, I don't notice anything different at all now that I'm in the Boxster. I was expecting some disdain, but really, people don't seem to notice. San Diego might be different though...
Old 04-27-2006, 04:59 PM   #56

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
On the flipside, I don't notice anything different at all now that I'm in the Boxster. I was expecting some disdain, but really, people don't seem to notice. San Diego might be different though...

I think you have just gotten used to it. I know for a fact i dont notice people looking at my car while im driving. However, the other day i had a buddy of mine in the car and within 10mins he turns to me and says do you get that a lot. I was puzzled and I asked him what? He said look at all these people staring at your car...
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:06 PM   #57

It could just be me. Yesterday at two separate times cars to the left of me on the highway moved into my lane. Almost hit me. They just didn't see me.....? One was on the phone and another was in a pickup with a lift kit. I had the top down and I know we have a low profile but still I don't suffer fools kindly. I'm probably just getting too old for this chit. But even after they realize what they did its their reaction that just ****sses me off. Boston drivers!!
Old 04-27-2006, 05:24 PM   #58

Honestly, its a mixture of jealousy and the unexplainable. Its the same reason why I have had turbo subarus speed off in front of me, 5.0 mustangs drop their clutches, and mercedes owners telling me how their "S" cost more than my "S". The latter is mostly the unexplainable, because in truth I was admiring his car.

Its not going to end or go away though. In 1997 I owned a little red viper RT10. The only people who said nice car were my parents, friends, and kids on school busses. I heard it all... american piece of cr*p, nice dodge, is that the new neon... however to their ever-dissatisfaction, I was enjoying myself too much to be concerned with them.

The viper became uninsurable on my policy (dont ask ) and I was shopping for boats, so I traded in the viper in 2000 and bought a boat and the boxster. The carrera cab and a 35' boat was a stretch for me at the time, and I wanted a convertible toy car. So the boxster it is. Since then, I feel like I've heard "so you got the cheap porsche" once for each of my 20k miles. Cheap to whom? I bought every option outside of customization and the tiptronic that porsche had in 2000, even the umbrella! The sticker was definitely still an undertaking. If you find that to be "cheap" god bless you and may your good fortune continue. But again, I found that this comment often came from people who couldnt afford the car in the first place, despite the fact that they somehow found the car to be priced "cheap".

Oh well, people will never change. Enjoy your porsches everyone, and love the fact that you dont have to be jealous of those who own them

Last edited by 5thtonbench; 04-27-2006 at 05:30 PM.
5thtonbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:33 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
I think you have just gotten used to it. I know for a fact i dont notice people looking at my car while im driving. However, the other day i had a buddy of mine in the car and within 10mins he turns to me and says do you get that a lot. I was puzzled and I asked him what? He said look at all these people staring at your car...
See, I personally never noticed boxsters because they were everywhere. once in a while I'll get people complimenting me on my car, but when I'm driving I swear no one seems to notice. Fine by me, really. I don't need more attention than I already get...from the cops...
Old 04-27-2006, 05:57 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1poet2
It could just be me. Yesterday at two separate times cars to the left of me on the highway moved into my lane. Almost hit me. They just didn't see me.....? One was on the phone and another was in a pickup with a lift kit. I had the top down and I know we have a low profile but still I don't suffer fools kindly. I'm probably just getting too old for this chit. But even after they realize what they did its their reaction that just ****sses me off. Boston drivers!!
you prob just had stealth mode on and forgot to turn it off - happens to me all the time

Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote