Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2015, 06:24 AM   #1

Durametric Question

I got a Durametric cable yesterday and just downloaded the software.

Is it possible to check the number of remaining VIN's on the cable without connecting it to the car (ie at my desk at work)?

Old 08-28-2015, 06:29 AM   #2

OK. Plugged it in and went to Tools>Tool Information. Here is what I get.

I assume this is because the car is not attached.

Can I upgrade the firmware without the car attached?
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2015, 06:30 AM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
I think if you run the software with the cable connected to your pc, it will tell you.

Updating firmware is not always a good thing. Only update if it adds a feature you want or fixes bugs that you are having a problem with.

Often firmware updates fix 5 bugs and create 2 new ones.
I deal with broadcast equipments and that is often the case with changing firmware.
YMMV

And yes, you do not need to be connected to a car to do the update
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 08-28-2015 at 06:34 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:46 AM   #4

You might want to trade it back for the pro cable. It is for unlimited Vins and gives you coding capabilities like turning on Cruise control etc. That's what I did.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I think if you run the software with the cable connected to your pc, it will tell you.

Updating firmware is not always a good thing. Only update if it adds a feature you want or fixes bugs that you are having a problem with.

Often firmware updates fix 5 bugs and create 2 new ones.
I deal with broadcast equipments and that is often the case with changing firmware.
YMMV

And yes, you do not need to be connected to a car to do the update
Sorry, but I completely disagree with your assessment of Durametric firmware/software updates. I've owned Durametric systems since they first came out and have never had a issue with updates; in fact, I look forward to them as they constantly add new features and correct existing problems, which is exactly what I would expect of them.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:38 AM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Sorry, but I completely disagree with your assessment of Durametric firmware/software updates. I've owned Durametric systems since they first came out and have never had a issue with updates; in fact, I look forward to them as they constantly add new features and correct existing problems, which is exactly what I would expect of them.
JFP, Rarely (if ever) would I question your expertise, however, I have a lot of experience with lots of firmware updates to lots of hardware and often there are new bugs that pop up due to the update. It's just the nature of the beast. In software development, it is nearly impossible to test every possible scenario and it just takes 1 misplaced, incorrect, or missed character to mess something up, and that is very easy to do when updating code.

Perhaps Durametric is better than most.
I just subscribe to the notion, Don't fix whats not broken.

Last edited by JayG; 08-28-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
JFP, Rarely (if ever) would I question your expertise, however, I have a lot of experience with lots of firmware updates to lots of hardware and often there are new bugs that pop up due to the update. It's just the nature of the beast. In software development, it is nearly impossible to test every possible scenario and it just takes 1 misplaced, incorrect, or missed character to mess something up, and that is very easy to do when updating code.

Perhaps Durametric is better than most.
I just subscribe to the notion, Don't fix whats not broken.
Problem is that Porsche keeps changing the game by doing things like switching DME suppliers on some vehicles, while Durametric keeps trying to add or improve capabilities, particularly for those of us that work on the full breadth of Porsche's product lines. While you may look at it as "not fixing what ain't broke", I see it as broadening my shop's ability to serve customers. And as I noted earlier, I am yet to see a Durametric update that has done any harm.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Problem is that Porsche keeps changing the game by doing things like switching DME suppliers on some vehicles, while Durametric keeps trying to add or improve capabilities, particularly for those of us that work on the full breadth of Porsche's product lines. While you may look at it as "not fixing what ain't broke", I see it as broadening my shop's ability to serve customers. And as I noted earlier, I am yet to see a Durametric update that has done any harm.
Point taken

Probably makes more sense with your use, working on lots of different models. You need the updates For personal use, just 1 or 2 cars, probably not so much

Of course I am referring to firmware, not application software
Its easy to delete and reinstall an older software app version if needed

Last edited by JayG; 08-28-2015 at 09:39 AM.