Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2015, 07:24 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 327
Durametric Question

I got a Durametric cable yesterday and just downloaded the software.

Is it possible to check the number of remaining VIN's on the cable without connecting it to the car (ie at my desk at work)?

jpc763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:29 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 327
OK. Plugged it in and went to Tools>Tool Information. Here is what I get.

I assume this is because the car is not attached.

Can I upgrade the firmware without the car attached?
Attached Images
 
jpc763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:30 AM   #3
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,346
Garage
I think if you run the software with the cable connected to your pc, it will tell you.

Updating firmware is not always a good thing. Only update if it adds a feature you want or fixes bugs that you are having a problem with.

Often firmware updates fix 5 bugs and create 2 new ones.
I deal with broadcast equipments and that is often the case with changing firmware.
YMMV

And yes, you do not need to be connected to a car to do the update
__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 08-28-2015 at 07:34 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
Registered User
 
apswater's Avatar
You might want to trade it back for the pro cable. It is for unlimited Vins and gives you coding capabilities like turning on Cruise control etc. That's what I did.
__________________
SciGuy
2000 Boxster S (13K miles)
apswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I think if you run the software with the cable connected to your pc, it will tell you.

Updating firmware is not always a good thing. Only update if it adds a feature you want or fixes bugs that you are having a problem with.

Often firmware updates fix 5 bugs and create 2 new ones.
I deal with broadcast equipments and that is often the case with changing firmware.
YMMV

And yes, you do not need to be connected to a car to do the update
Sorry, but I completely disagree with your assessment of Durametric firmware/software updates. I've owned Durametric systems since they first came out and have never had a issue with updates; in fact, I look forward to them as they constantly add new features and correct existing problems, which is exactly what I would expect of them.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,346
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Sorry, but I completely disagree with your assessment of Durametric firmware/software updates. I've owned Durametric systems since they first came out and have never had a issue with updates; in fact, I look forward to them as they constantly add new features and correct existing problems, which is exactly what I would expect of them.
JFP, Rarely (if ever) would I question your expertise, however, I have a lot of experience with lots of firmware updates to lots of hardware and often there are new bugs that pop up due to the update. It's just the nature of the beast. In software development, it is nearly impossible to test every possible scenario and it just takes 1 misplaced, incorrect, or missed character to mess something up, and that is very easy to do when updating code.

Perhaps Durametric is better than most.
I just subscribe to the notion, Don't fix whats not broken.
__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 08-28-2015 at 09:41 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
JFP, Rarely (if ever) would I question your expertise, however, I have a lot of experience with lots of firmware updates to lots of hardware and often there are new bugs that pop up due to the update. It's just the nature of the beast. In software development, it is nearly impossible to test every possible scenario and it just takes 1 misplaced, incorrect, or missed character to mess something up, and that is very easy to do when updating code.

Perhaps Durametric is better than most.
I just subscribe to the notion, Don't fix whats not broken.
Problem is that Porsche keeps changing the game by doing things like switching DME suppliers on some vehicles, while Durametric keeps trying to add or improve capabilities, particularly for those of us that work on the full breadth of Porsche's product lines. While you may look at it as "not fixing what ain't broke", I see it as broadening my shop's ability to serve customers. And as I noted earlier, I am yet to see a Durametric update that has done any harm.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:37 AM   #8
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,346
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Problem is that Porsche keeps changing the game by doing things like switching DME suppliers on some vehicles, while Durametric keeps trying to add or improve capabilities, particularly for those of us that work on the full breadth of Porsche's product lines. While you may look at it as "not fixing what ain't broke", I see it as broadening my shop's ability to serve customers. And as I noted earlier, I am yet to see a Durametric update that has done any harm.
Point taken

Probably makes more sense with your use, working on lots of different models. You need the updates For personal use, just 1 or 2 cars, probably not so much

Of course I am referring to firmware, not application software
Its easy to delete and reinstall an older software app version if needed

__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 08-28-2015 at 10:39 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page