Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2015, 07:44 AM   #1
Master Brewer

Garage
Lowering the Drivers Seat

I am 6' 3" and would like to reduce the height of my drivers seat. I have a 2004 Anniversary Edition with the power seatback. I have seen listings for a kit that reduces the height of the seat allowing more room. Does anyone have any experience with these kits or could offer suggestions. Appreciated!

2004 Ford F-150 4X4 Crew
6 Fast Bicycles
Bootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
I installed a racing seat and bolted it to the floor without rails. This improved headroom about 4". For a street car you can sometimes have the seat re-worked by an upholsterer so you sit lower. This is probably the least expensive method.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:22 AM   #3

I'm 6'3" and it took me a year to realize the only thing power about my seats was the seat back tilt. The seat bottom control is manual and the "button" is just a release. Not many other cars like that. Until then I was annoyed by the headrest hitting the roll bar. Squeak, squeak, squeak. All is fine now.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #4

In the Miata world, we called that a 'foamectomy'...where you'd remove foam from the rear of the seat bottom and seat back. I did it on my car and got my head a bit below the top bar of the roll bar.

I'd love to sit lower in my car, too; it always feels like I'm sitting ON the car rather than IN it (with the stock seats).

I'd prefer to keep the car OEM, but perhaps aftermarket seats are the best option. GT3 seats are a bit confining for long drives, I think.
Nmbrsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:44 AM   #5

Lift up on the fore/aft adjustment handle and then bounce/push your hind end down and you can ensure that the seat is in the lowermost height adjustment. If you are already there, you may be able to get a tiny bit more headroom by going a little bit forward with the seat and then reclining a bit more.

In my case I have a Recaro Profi XL seat mounted to floor using BK R-9075 side mount and BK R-9044 floor mount. The rear most hole of the sidemount is fastened to the floor using the floor mounting bolt, and the front hole is bolted to the floor mount adapter. I have the seat mounted using the lower of the three front holes in the side mount, and this *just* clears the roll hoops. If you have a BK bar you wouldn't be able to use the BK padding.

I don't have a measurement but I will say my helmet used to rub the top in the OEM seat and there is plenty of clearance now. I am 6'2" with 34" inseam and the positioning is perfect. Shorter inseam could probably go a little closer to the front. My waist is 36" 240LB and the seat is a good fit and I could possibly even gain a few pounds and could probably fit just fine.

On the passenger side I have the regular Recaro Profi and man that thing is tiny! Almost like a child seat. I can fit if I jam myself in but it is *tight* and I could not drive a long distance that way.

Steve

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote