Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2015, 08:19 AM   #1

Boxster Tiptronic flashing 'D'

Hi Guys

I have a 2004 Boxster Tiptronic S

The P and D lights were flashing and tiptronic not working ( i know this is the limited driving programme) so I scanned it with my tool and got a P708 Multi function switch Performance Circuit A out of range (or something along those lines).

I bought an official multi switch from porsche today and my local mechanic swapped it out while I watched.

Now, the P R N all show SOLIDLY and when you put it into 'D' it flashes , but you can use auto mode fine and also tiptronic mode. The problem is the light is still flashing???

What else could be at fault??

I took a car key and put it in the old tiptronic multi switch hole and it easily turned it, so i'm sure the old one was faulty. No codes have come up since replacing the switch (as of yet, it's been 1 hour).

Is it possible the car needs to go through a driving cycling to recalibrate and then D will no longer flash?

Dremzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:02 AM   #2

Again, get access to a Porsche specific scan tool and read the system, you have a fault somewhere.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #3

There is no fault. I have used Porsche specific scanner and my own diagnostic tool. There used to be a P708 fault but I changed the multi function switch and that runs fine.

The car runs fine in tip and auto, just the D light is still blinking.

I have checked live data from my diag tool, and whilst driving 70mph on the motorway my tiptronic gearbox is showing 196F temperature. Is this correct? Does anyone know the operating temperatures for these gearboxes.

My thoughts are 1) Gearbox temp sensor is faulty (although no codes)

2) ATF fluid is low.

Anyone can help?? Kindly don't refer me to go to an OPC to put a PST2 tester on the car.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #4

Garage
"Now, the P R N all show SOLIDLY and when you put it into 'D' it flashes , but you can use auto mode fine and also tiptronic mode."
What you are trying to say here is confusing and may be why no one can answer your question. When you say "auto mode" what do you mean? The car is always in auto mode because it is a Tiptronic Automatic. When you say "tiptronic mode what do you mean? The transmission is a Tiptronic. There are only three modes to the trans that enable the car to drive, "R," "D" and "M." What selections in those modes are you talking about "R," "D," "M?"

Last edited by Luv2Box; 08-16-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:43 AM   #5

Apologies,

Ok so since replacing the multi function switch, when selecting P or N or R the red light on the dashboard shows solidly (meaning no blinking). The D light still blinks when you switch to 'D'rive mode on the selector.

When using M mode you can switch gears using the steering wheel buttons however the dashboard still blinks 'D'. All gears shift correctly at the right RPM in both manual and auto mode.

Using a diag tool, when trying 70mph on the motorway the tiptronic temperature is reading 196F, is this too hot??

Please be advised that the multi function switch solved the fault in the system and PST no longer shows any fault in the tip (p708)
Old 08-17-2015, 05:19 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dremzy View Post
Apologies,

Ok so since replacing the multi function switch, when selecting P or N or R the red light on the dashboard shows solidly (meaning no blinking). The D light still blinks when you switch to 'D'rive mode on the selector.

When using M mode you can switch gears using the steering wheel buttons however the dashboard still blinks 'D'. All gears shift correctly at the right RPM in both manual and auto mode.

Using a diag tool, when trying 70mph on the motorway the tiptronic temperature is reading 196F, is this too hot??

Please be advised that the multi function switch solved the fault in the system and PST no longer shows any fault in the tip (p708)
Have you read your manual? My manual, for my '99 Boxster, says that a blinking "D" light means the trans needs to be serviced i.e. new fluid and filter. I don't know if the temp of the fluid is too hot, you might call your local dealer and ask the service manager that question.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:17 PM   #7

Boxster Tiptronic flashing

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

O wow thats great and it sounds like it's in line with what i thought in terms of gearbox oil being low and running hot. I'll certainly contact local Porsche centre and ask them about temperature.

Would you know where I can get the right gearbox oil for this car (except from Porsche). Lots of forums talk about ensuring to get the EXACT right oil for the Tiptronic gearbox as they are sensitive. Alternatively as most people will be replying from the states, what brand/viscosity would be best?

Mine is a 2004 Boxster Tiptronic S.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

O wow thats great and it sounds like it's in line with what i thought in terms of gearbox oil being low and running hot. I'll certainly contact local Porsche centre and ask them about temperature.

Would you know where I can get the right gearbox oil for this car (except from Porsche). Lots of forums talk about ensuring to get the EXACT right oil for the Tiptronic gearbox as they are sensitive. Alternatively as most people will be replying from the states, what brand/viscosity would be best?

Can't help you there because I would not attempt to change my trans fluid as the torque convertor has to be cleaned with a power hose. The trans fluid has to be put in at a certain temp and forced back into the torque convertor with the same pressure system. When the fluid level reaches running out of the trans the drain plug has to be put back in and the car needs to be started and run through the gears then more fluid, if needed, has to be added. It is quit a process that I gladly pay someone , who knows what they are doing, to do it.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Go to the Pelican parts web site and order the parts. I would do a drain, filter swap and fill. I ordered the kit which included a filter and gasket. It's been a while since I did it.

Last edited by Muzzle of Bees; 08-20-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Muzzle of Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Apologies,

Hey Dremzy
I know it's 5 years, but did you resolve the blinking D light?
I have 2004 also, had multi function switch replaced 2 years ago, all good till now.
However, of late D commenced blinking like yours (without affecting Tiptronic operation in either auto or manual mode like you), but in addition I had no 1,2,3,4 gear position display in instrument cluster.
Then a week ago it gave up, and went into limp mode ie D and 4 blinking.
Diagnostic code came up 51(Porsche)/P1174(universal OBD) "multi function switch".
Cleared code, drove home fine, everything working normal.
But blinking D light (only D) returned next day.

Hope you receive this and have got an answer.
Could it be the Tiptronic transmission control unit?

sammie is offline   Reply With Quote