Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2006, 12:51 PM   #1

dealer holdback?

Does anybody have any idea what the dealer holdback is on the Box-S, Carrera, and Carrera S? Edmunds doesn't post it, and I've searched in here to no avail. I test drove a Carrera S this afternoon. The power was ferocious and intoxicating. When we talked money, the salesman admitted there is a hold back but it comes in quarterly and it is based on good scores received from all departments, not just sales and it comes in the form of a bonus. Still, there must be a formula or vehicle specific percentage . He didn't want to get into how much that hold back was. Anybody know?

(As is the typical Porsche dealer protocol, they vastly undervalued my Box while over inflating their margin. I don't think a C2S is in the cards for me right now. Hey, any one interested in my Box-S??)

Old 04-23-2006, 03:14 PM   #2

From Safecarguide.com

"How Holdback Effects You - There is usually more money available to play with than your salesperson will admit to. Several hundreds of dollars in extra cash can be made by a shrewd dealer who sells a car "at invoice" without acknowledging that they get a holdback payment or a rebate from their manufacturer. Unless you're buying an Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mini Cooper, Porsche or Saturn rest assured that your dealer is getting a holdback payment which may amount to over $1000 on some higher priced models.

However don't expect a holdback discount on every vehicle. If a car has been sitting on the lot for 90 days or more, all of the potential holdback profits have been wasted on interest payments that the dealer makes to floor plan (finance) the vehicle. After 90 days, the dealership has to dip into its own profits to keep the car in inventory. So on vehicles that the dealer has had for over 90 days, holdback won't help you at all."

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:08 PM   #3

I bought a Toyota Highlander last year and the Consumer Reports new car pricing service had information on the holdbacks for that vehicle. It also had information about the manufacturer and dealer incentives. This allowed me to bargain very effectively with the dealer.

Since Toyotas are high-volume vehicles, there is probably more information available about them than for a lower-volume vehicle like a Porsche. Still, it might be worth a try since the price of the service is not high. Here's a link: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/customer-service/consumer-reports-advice-and-prices-on-buying-a-new-car.htm

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990
I bought a Toyota Highlander last year and the Consumer Reports new car pricing service had information on the holdbacks for that vehicle. It also had information about the manufacturer and dealer incentives. This allowed me to bargain very effectively with the dealer.

Since Toyotas are high-volume vehicles, there is probably more information available about them than for a lower-volume vehicle like a Porsche. Still, it might be worth a try since the price of the service is not high. Here's a link: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/customer-service/consumer-reports-advice-and-prices-on-buying-a-new-car.htm

Good luck.
Kev,

Thanks for your help.