Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2015, 03:21 PM   #21

Garage
busted Boxter

sorry for all the Miata owners.I've lost my cool.I really love my car,if it wasn't for the wife I would never sell it.

zoltan53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #22

A car that isn't drivable isn't sell-able at a decent price. Just went through this on a Camry with a busted power steering pump with a friend of my wife. The risk of there being other problems is going to factor into any deal you are offered.

Went through this with an Acura 4 years ago. Transmission let go 300 miles from home. AAMCO was $1k lower than a dealer and gave lifetime guarantee. I sucked it up and paid. Then sold the car and got something for it because it was drivable and so the possibility of hidden problems was removed.

Good luck.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
...but this is not a "bad-motor". It's a bad Tiptronic.
IMO: The best option if you don't want to pay the $3k to repair it, buy a ZF 5HP19 FL from a 98-03 VW Passat, or Audi A4/A6 and swap the externals over. They are all over eBay for about $600.

If you want to sell it for $5K, sell the engine for $2200 to $2,500 and sell the Roller (otherwise complete) for $3,000+. If the transmission is already out. It is not much more work to remove the engine.
Sorry, what I get for "multitasking".
But it still applies. A little cheaper repair, but a roller is a roller. I've got a jeep wrangler with a bad head that I want to sell, but I'm going to fix it first so I can sell it properly and get full value for it. I think that's the logical choice here as well.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:00 AM   #24
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltan53 View Post
sorry for all the Miata owners.I've lost my cool.I really love my car,if it wasn't for the wife I would never sell it.
Ha... You're not the only one: I saw this on an eBay listing for a salvage Boxster:

78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote