Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
Luckyed

Garage
The Growler

For all of you that can't drive a car that hasn't been de-snorked or had an aftermarket exhaust installed.......

The Growler:

Petrolicious profiles a Porsche 911 hot rod called The Growler

Old 08-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #2

Garage
That's pretty cool Wasn't that THstone's car in there when he talks about racing with celebrities?
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:58 AM   #3

Sweeet 964!

My 964 was uncorked too but the motor itself was stock. You could hear it from a mile away but definitely had a different sound then this one. Then I had to get it smogged and back on went the power killing cats and the single exhaust tip. Glower is an emissions violation waiting to happen that CA does not look kindly on.

While living in CA I was once pulled over by a motorcycle cop for speeding but he found my exhaust suspicious enough that with his helmet on he got on his hands and knees to take a look. Between the car being lowered and the cop not having a clue on what the exhaust should look like I got off with a verbal warning. It was hilarious to watch.

This video makes me want to get another 964. Such a visceral car and so much fun to drive
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Sweeet 964!

My 964 was uncorked too but the motor itself was stock. You could hear it from a mile away but definitely had a different sound then this one. Then I had to get it smogged and back on went the power killing cats and the single exhaust tip. Glower is an emissions violation waiting to happen that CA does not look kindly on.

While living in CA I was once pulled over by a motorcycle cop for speeding but he found my exhaust suspicious enough that with his helmet on he got on his hands and knees to take a look. Between the car being lowered and the cop not having a clue on what the exhaust should look like I got off with a verbal warning. It was hilarious to watch.

This video makes me want to get another 964. Such a visceral car and so much fun to drive
That's so dang funny...Like a police officer has the time to study all the 100's if not 1000's of automobile models and factory stocks besides all of the laws and associated violations they have to keep up on............
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Sweeet 964!

That's so dang funny...Like a police officer has the time to study all the 100's if not 1000's of automobile models and factory stocks besides all of the laws and associated violations they have to keep up on............
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
That's pretty cool Wasn't that THstone's car in there when he talks about racing with celebrities?
The Growler is owned by my very close friend Alex Bermudez (Little "t" here on 986Forum). Alex and I are both sponsored by House Automotive so our race cars are easily and often mistaken for the same car. The easy way to tell them apart is that my #254 Spec Boxster has red wheels and Alex's #909 has silver wheels.

The first time that I drove the Growler was north of LA on Glendale Mountain Road. Alex hadn't even bought the car yet - the previous owner Tyson Schmidt (who does all of the repairs on my Spec Boxster) "loaned" Alex the car for the weekend to test drive it and see if Alex wanted to buy it. So Alex and I took the "loaner" Growler and my blue 996 up GMR to see how it handled.

Part way thru the drive we swapped cars. All I can say is the same thing that Alex said - that drive in the Growler was transformational. I got out of the car almost screaming that I had to buy an air cooled 911! (and I eventually did).

The Growler probably puts out about 300hp in a 2400 lb car. The suspension and tires stick like glue. The car hauls ass and is an absolute blast to drive.

Here is a pic from that day... (pic's or it never happened, right? )

And here is the Growler and my 911SC at coffee a few weeks ago...

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 08-05-2015 at 07:54 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:20 AM   #7

Garage
Great video! You are lucky to have driven the Growler, Tom!

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote