Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2015, 03:01 AM   #1

Good deal on replacement top

No affiliation to these guys but wanted to pass along what I thought was a great deal for anyone else in the same boat as me.

Been looking for a replacement top and settled on autotopsdirect on eBay (also referred to as Sierra auto tops) that supposedly sells the Gahh tops rebranded. When I first started looking their black glass German A5 canvas with the extra noise insulation (A5B/DS) was selling for $640. A few weeks ago the price dropped to $570, and, when I finally went to buy yesterday it dropped again to $510.

Thought it was a heck of a deal as its lower than most other sellers, lower than their standard A5 now (was higher before) and the same price as the Twillfast canvas.

Hopefully someone else is in the market and could use one also and can take advantage of the price!

DMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:47 PM   #2

Did you get it ?
Is it installed ?

I'm also in the market for a replacement top for my '99 Boxster.
YvesBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:37 PM   #3

Are you gonna put it on yourself or pay someone to install it for you?

If you're going to have someone install it for you be prepared to pay more in installation costs than the actual cost of the top it's self.

I found a top on eBay for $350 and the lowest quote I have found so far to install is $800 to $1200.

LMAOOO
Old 09-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #4

I installed one of their tops last summer. The top is great and the company is top notch,

I actually ordered the top close to a year before doing the install. When I finished installing the top (seemed to go on easily), the rear window was drooping like craxy. The front 2/3's of the top fit like a drum!

Being my first insall, I figured I had screwed up somehow. After investigating, I realized I hadn't and called the company. After sharing some pictures and discussion (polite, no hassle), the company said I had been shipped a top for the 03-04 Boxsters (extra bow0. They apologized and sent me a new top at no cost, includijng shipping.

Needless to say, the new top fit great! I got the experience of replacing the top and could now do it much quicker.

When I removed my original top, it took me close to four hours. Removing gthe 'wrong' top took me an hour.

First install took a day and a half as I was very cautious and waited for adhesive to dry.

Second try took about 6 hours, still being very cautious.

Now a year later, the top is very nice, fits tight and does not leak. Big fan of the company and their product.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:35 AM   #5

Garage
In the same situation as others, looking for a quality top with glass.

Came across this site: https://www.convertibletopguys.com/convertible/790/1997-02-Porsche-Boxster.

Which have a top replacement guide and install tools for $34.95

From reading their site it did bring up questions with regards to the tops being sold at extreme prices, are these "GAHH Look alike" tops with re-branded names actually GAHH tops that did not pass inspection and then dumped on the market via the eBay and other sellers?

Not saying they are bad tops, could be that the stitching was out of line or something simple that just did not pass QA, or it could be something more severe.

I guess my question to the group would be:

Is it really worth buying a $800.00 top for $500.00 and then pay $900.00 to install and after find issues. I guess if you were dealing with a company like above where return was no issue and you were installing yourself you would just be out of your time and effort, but if paying someone it could get costly.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:09 AM   #6

Yesterday I found a local (experienced in Boxster tops) who quoted me $1,625 "out the door" for a GAHH A5 top w/glass installed. Others have quoted from $1,575 at the low end, to $3,200 at the high end (w/ OEM Porsche top).....
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:21 AM   #7

Wow those are crazy installation prices. I don't think you can order the autotops direct top for $510.00 from them. I think the price was $639.00, no shipping cost. Perhaps someone else is selling them? $550.00 was the installation price by a well known installer. Excellent work performed.

I had my top replaced two months ago with this one from Auto tops direct.

Material: Haartz German A5B/DS Acoustic
Window: Heated Glass
Color: Black

Price: $639.00

• Install guide available to download after ordering
• Electrical wiring harness included
• New steel side tension cables included
Old 09-02-2015, 06:36 AM   #8

The quotes were all over the places to buy a top and have it installed locally. Once quote was as high as $2500 out the door. They wanted to charge full retail for the top and then charge $600-1000 to install. I thought the prices were ridiculous, but these places were months out on scheduling... so the market clearly bears the price.

I finally found a place that does upholstry for cars and boats that willing to install a top that I bought. I bought mine from autotopsdirect for about $500-550. Installation was another $500.
cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:43 AM   #9

My concern is the skill/experience of the installer. I'm guessing (like most things "Porsche") that past experience, of the installer, is of prime concern. I'm guessing that a convertable top installer who hasn't done one, or two, or more wouldn't be the best choice.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:53 AM   #10

I just found someone recommended to me from Porsche who will do it for $450.

Much better than the prices I was given a few months ago ranging from $900 to $1200.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:52 AM   #11

Garage
I have had my ATD top for some time now, highly recommended!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by More View Post
I just found someone recommended to me from Porsche who will do it for $450.

Much better than the prices I was given a few months ago ranging from $900 to $1200.

That is about $350.00 USD. A good deal indeed.