Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #1

Garage
Front engine mount

Can anyone chime in about the difference they have noticed (if there is any) from a complete new mount versus pressing out/in a new rubber insert?

epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:36 PM   #2

Garage
I don't think there is any, since the rubber mount is pressed in the frame.
Differences might be felt depending on the mounts themselves.
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #3

I've done it both ways and noticed no difference. Both ways worked fine.

When I did the insert, I lined up my insert with the original mount and marked the mount and the insert so I'd know it was going in straight, I used a hack saw to cut out the old mount, It was pretty easy work.

I froze the new insert and slide it into the mount with a vise..
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #4

Garage
Interesting method. I might give that a try.
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:39 PM   #5

I changed my 2001 boxster base's front motor mount last weekend - just the insert, re-used the original bracket. First off, what a nice improvement! With about 110k miles, the car is smoother driving than ever now. (I just got it a few months ago). It used to shudder when letting out the clutch when the engine was cold, and as a result, I had been wondering if the clutch might be on its last legs. Now that everything is so nice and smooth, I'm quite sure there is nothing wrong with the clutch! It's generally noticeably smoother driving too (more "refined").

I also removed the old insert by hacksawing, and froze the insert before installing it. Unlike most other cars I've worked on before this Porsche, all the metal in this design (not jus the bracket but also the metal shell of the insert) is aluminum; not steel. I managed to press the new insert into the frame with my bench vice.

One tip if pressing in the insert is to pay very close attention to which direction it's supposed to go. I found some internet resources that show photos of the insert installed upside-down! Installed correctly, the the engine's weight should put "V" shaped rubber strips under compression (not tension).

You will need some sort of pipe or some plate with a hole in it to press in the mount. Use a bit of lubricant and press it in squarely, especially at the beginning.

jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote