Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #1

Garage
CEL went out

This is a first for me been driving 2000 s for about 1 week with the cel on and next thing i know its out.

I have not seen them go out on there own is that possible ?

I'm ecstatic, it can fix its self what a Car

Old 07-13-2015, 02:16 PM   #2

Garage
I believe 3 drive cycle without a repeat of certain codes they reset. Most of the time O2 sensor. I've got one occasionally in the heavy rain.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 07-13-2015 at 02:19 PM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:36 PM   #3

Also, check to see if the CEL comes on when the ignition is set to on.
If the CEL is out when the ignition is on then the bulb is burnt.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 07-13-2015, 02:39 PM   #4

Garage
I had a similar experience last year when my secondary air system valves took a dump. CEL was on for months then one day went out. Knowing that cars aren't self healing I figured the bulb burned out but a few days later it came back on again.:ah:
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #5
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
I had a similar experience last year when my secondary air system valves took a dump. CEL was on for months then one day went out. Knowing that cars aren't self healing I figured the bulb burned out but a few days later it came back on again.:ah:
+1, same code, same exact experience. As luck would have it it went out just a few days before I was due to update my emissions and renew the registration. Hauled ass to the inspection station while it was out, passed with flying colors and am good for another two years. It then came back on a week later, stayed on for a few days and has since gone out again, been out for well over a month and counting. I think driving the crap out of it during the spring and summer months helps keep the periodic SAS codes at bay, but thats just a theory...

Last edited by TypeA; 07-13-2015 at 04:34 PM.
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

After the Porsche ECU self-repair function fixes the problem, you'll automatically get a bill in the mail for $350 from Porsche (half of the cost of the repair had you taken the car in).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
After the Porsche ECU self-repair function fixes the problem, you'll automatically get a bill in the mail for $350 from Porsche (half of the cost of the repair had you taken the car in).
Now thats some funny stuff
Old 07-14-2015, 07:51 PM   #8

I've had that happen several times. Two years ago, I drove from Milwaukee, WI (an ethanol mandated area) to Seattle and back. About half a tank into non-ethanol gas, the CEL turned on and stayed on until about a tank and a half through the ethanol gas. Another trip to Northeast WI, I filled up on non-ethanol gas and the CEL came on half tank and stayed on until I drove on the ethanol crap for awhile again.

I am currently on a road trip through WV, VA, NC, TN and KY. Somewhere along the way I fueled up on non-ethanol gas, and the CEL came on at about the half tank level. Several days later, with multiple fills on the ethanol mix, it went off. It's been off for three tanks of fuel now.

I'm not sure why that happens, but it does. So I wouldn't freak out. Next service trip, have them check the OBD and make sure nothing's amiss, then fuhgettaboutit.

DBear

dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote