Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2015, 01:56 PM   #21

Garage
Does this count car in the rain with a tire up

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:49 AM   #22
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
So looks like the thread died again.

Okay, let s try once more. Remember you have to take the picture for the purpose of meeting the challenge. It can't be from your library of pics. So therefore all challenges should be something that at least a few people will be able to seek out and accomplish within 24-48 hours

Needs to be somewhat geographically neutral. As in "picture of a Boxster with a statue" as opposed to "picture of your Boxster with the statue of Atlas in downtown Chicago. "

So, I'm taking the liberty of starting us over. Here is our challenge: picture of your car with a police car.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:21 AM   #23
I am my own mechanic....

Down the street from my shop.

How about 3 Boxsters, one must be yours.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #24
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfield6 View Post
So looks like the thread died again.

Okay, let s try once more. Remember you have to take the picture for the purpose of meeting the challenge. It can't be from your library of pics. So therefore all challenges should be something that at least a few people will be able to seek out and accomplish within 24-48 hours

Needs to be somewhat geographically neutral. As in "picture of a Boxster with a statue" as opposed to "picture of your Boxster with the statue of Atlas in downtown Chicago. "

So, I'm taking the liberty of starting us over. Here is our challenge: picture of your car with a police car.
Im sorry, but the other threads died for a reason, too.
Taking a car out for the sole purpose of taking a specific picture is unrealistic for adults with jobs who also don't drive their 986's daily.
This is coming from a picture junkie.
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51809-how-many-pics-your-986-do-you-have.html

BTW, there's a police car in a lot of my pictures

This is old and these are not my headlights, just a set I built for someone.

Last edited by particlewave; 07-08-2015 at 10:09 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #25

Lol, adults with jobs. Who do you think we are?
bobbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #26
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Im sorry, but the other threads died for a reason, too.
Taking a car out for the sole purpose of taking a specific picture is unrealistic for adults with jobs who also don't drive their 986's daily.
This is coming from a picture junkie.
Meh. I don't agree. Here is a thread on a motorcycle forum I belong to. This particular thread is just for north Georgia forum members, and it is very active, with sometimes multiple tags/challenges being accepted and accomplished in a single day. It's also a harder challenge because the challenges there are not as simple as what we are trying to do here.

And these are people with jobs. Believe me, you need a job to support a motorcycle addiction. Maybe even more so that a Porsche addition.

Oh well. I'll play along if it lives, and I'll let it go if it dies. Could be fun, but maybe we don't have the membership numbers on this site to support it.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #27
I am my own mechanic....

I have one hell of a demanding job. It's just me. Big jobs. Four installs going on right now, consulting on a huge job, and we have several rentals.

I find time or find a way to do what's fun to me. Sometimes.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Meh. I don't agree. Here is a thread on a motorcycle forum I belong to. This particular thread is just for north Georgia forum members, and it is very active, with sometimes multiple tags/challenges being accepted and accomplished in a single day. It's also a harder challenge because the challenges there are not as simple as what we are trying to do here.

And these are people with jobs. Believe me, you need a job to support a motorcycle addiction. Maybe even more so that a Porsche addition.

Oh well. I'll play along if it lives, and I'll let it go if it dies. Could be fun, but maybe we don't have the membership numbers on this site to support it.
Totally different target audience and mindset. And as to cost of ownership? Really? I could get a brand new Harley Road King for around $25,000 to start. Can't even get into the Porsche dealership for that, let alone buy a Brand new Boxster.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:02 PM   #29
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Totally different target audience and mindset. And as to cost of ownership? Really? I could get a brand new Harley Road King for around $25,000 to start. Can't even get into the Porsche dealership for that, let alone buy a Brand new Boxster.
Many riders have multiple bikes. I have had as many as 6 at one time. Add in gear and maintenance and motorcycling is a very expensive hobby. At this moment I have about the same money invested in my 16 year old Porsche as in my 2 current motorcycles, both of which are older than the Boxster. Every one of which (bikes and Boxster) were purchased used.

And I have never once in my life been in a Porsche dealership.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Many riders have multiple bikes. I have had as many as 6 at one time. Add in gear and maintenance and motorcycling is a very expensive hobby. At this moment I have about the same money invested in my 16 year old Porsche as in my 2 current motorcycles, both of which are older than the Boxster. Every one of which (bikes and Boxster) were purchased used.

And I have never once in my life been in a Porsche dealership.
Never said it wasn't expensive, but you said it was MORE than Porsche ownership. Apples to apples - if you are talking about owning 6 bikes, then you need to compare that to someone with 6 Porsches. Owning 1 Porsche will always cost you more than owning 1 bike.

Now I'm not saying that's a good thing....

And why haven't you been in a Porsche dealership? It's like Disney Land!
Old 07-08-2015, 08:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
How about 3 Boxsters, one must be yours.
I am the only Boxster I know. Anyone else on the DelMarValous peninsula?
Old 07-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
lets do it now before the winter comes and people put their babies to sleep!!
Too late. If anyone want's to nominate a picture of your Boxster in the garage having not been driven for several weeks, I might have a crack at that :-)

Weather News - Victoria weather: Blizzards, sub-zero temperatures forecast to hit

:ah:
Old 07-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #33
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
And why haven't you been in a Porsche dealership? It's like Disney Land!
Can't imagine there is a single thing there I would be willing to spend dealership prices on. I buy my parts online, and get OEM parts for much less than dealership prices. And I do 95% of my own wrenching. For the 5% I cant do, I go to an independent shop.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #34
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Can't imagine there is a single thing there I would be willing to spend dealership prices on. I buy my parts online, and get OEM parts for much less than dealership prices. And I do 95% of my own wrenching. For the 5% I cant do, I go to an independent shop.
To be totally honest, the little shop in the parts department has by far the best hats and shirts and is cheaper than I've found. Plus, my wife can't live without her $100 Porsche umbrella. It's actually a good investment. Lots of tempting stuff in our dealership's parts store. Worth browsing.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #35

Garage
Happy me, first Boxster.
mcdandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:49 AM   #36
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdandc View Post
Happy me, first Boxster.
Well, Bob...I think this thread is a FAIL, haha
Old 07-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #37

I have been to the Ocala FL Porsche dealership 3 times. First time it was at its old location. Was driving my son down to Sanford to pick up a Miata and happened to pass by it so we pulled in. 2nd time was on the way back from Orlando to go to the space center. My plan was to go there first and then find some breakfast. Turns out they had some really good coffee and a tray of pastries - the good kind! I made my breakfast there and chatted with the parts guy who was into HPDE. 3rd time on the way back from Sebring and we just missed it being open by about 15 minutes, but we hung in the parking lot and ogled cars. It was a lot of fun each time.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #38
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdandc View Post
Happy me, first Boxster.
Nice car.

I'm from Antioch. East Bay represented!
Old 07-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Well, Bob...I think this thread is a FAIL, haha
Too funny! I've started this and participated in this same thread in several other forums. What I've seen is pretty interesting. In the Mercedes crowd, it was very active but forum members would routinely post googled images causing flame wars, name calling and heavy moderation, especially with the W201 crowd, not as much with the W171 members. Eventually the thread has to get closed for a while to let the kids settle down. The VAG community is different, total discipline with following rules and pretty interesting challenges. The Audi A3 thread is years old and a few hundred pages.
New to this community this is kind of what I expected to happen, since there wasn't an active thread. The Porsche community seems to have a pictures? Who cares, let's just drive it while it's nice out attitude...

It's almost kind of indicative of what the stereotypical driver is like in each group: MB, look at mine, it's got more kit than yours, only it's not mine but it's looks just like mine... VAG: hey, I just took 1000 pictures of my car on bags with a new lip of corse I have pictures to show! Porsche: who has time for silly picture games when there weekend track days??? I'll just drive it thanks.

Anyway, yes it's DEad, lol.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #40
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbeck View Post
Too funny! I've started this and participated in this same thread in several other forums. What I've seen is pretty interesting. In the Mercedes crowd, it was very active but forum members would routinely post googled images causing flame wars, name calling and heavy moderation, especially with the W201 crowd, not as much with the W171 members. Eventually the thread has to get closed for a while to let the kids settle down. The VAG community is different, total discipline with following rules and pretty interesting challenges. The Audi A3 thread is years old and a few hundred pages.
New to this community this is kind of what I expected to happen, since there wasn't an active thread. The Porsche community seems to have a pictures? Who cares, let's just drive it while it's nice out attitude...

It's almost kind of indicative of what the stereotypical driver is like in each group: MB, look at mine, it's got more kit than yours, only it's not mine but it's looks just like mine... VAG: hey, I just took 1000 pictures of my car on bags with a new lip of corse I have pictures to show! Porsche: who has time for silly picture games when there weekend track days??? I'll just drive it thanks.

Anyway, yes it's DEad, lol.
The only real rules here are I can't talk about cats.

Other than that, meh.......it's cool.