Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2015, 11:24 PM   #1

One Man Brake Bleeding

Ok, so this question is not for my Porsche, because I have the Motive bleeder obviously. I have a few other Hondas, and the reviews about the Motive universal adapter are not so great that I haven't bought one.

So here's is how I have been bleeding my brakes by myself: I top off the reservoir, attach a hose to the bleeder valve, stick the other end into a container, slightly wrench open the bleeder valve, go pump the pedal several times, make sure fluid has been coming out, then tighten the bleeder valve, top off the reservoir, and move on to the next one.

Please tell me if there's anything wrong with this method, or anyway air can get back into the system?

hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancock1701 View Post
Ok, so this question is not for my Porsche, because I have the Motive bleeder obviously. I have a few other Hondas, and the reviews about the Motive universal adapter are not so great that I haven't bought one.

So here's is how I have been bleeding my brakes by myself: I top off the reservoir, attach a hose to the bleeder valve, stick the other end into a container, slightly wrench open the bleeder valve, go pump the pedal several times, make sure fluid has been coming out, then tighten the bleeder valve, top off the reservoir, and move on to the next one.

Please tell me if there's anything wrong with this method, or anyway air can get back into the system?
Yes, use the correct adaptor for the vehicle (Motive makes a lot), and put the fluid in the Motive unit like you are supposed to do. It only takes about 5 min. to clean out the Motive unit after you use it, and you will save a lot more time than that by not having to run around the car.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:46 AM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

You need to be Motivated to do this by yourself.

Since I really have no friends, this was my only real option.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:11 AM   #4

Garage
i put speed bleeders on my calipers.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:42 AM   #5

+1 on speed breeders. Then your friendless process works.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:07 AM   #6
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post
+1 on speed breeders. Then your friendless process works.
You know, I've been accused of speed breeding.....
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:31 AM   #7

One word: Mityvac.

You can't open the bleed nipple and then pump the brake pedal several times. Each time the pedal comes back up, it will suck air back into the bleed nipple. You should press and hold down the brake pedal, open the nipple, allow the fluid (and air bubbles) to come out, then close the nipple before you release the brake pedal. Then repeat until the new brake fluid reaches the bleed nipple. That's why it's a 2-person job, or 1-person, easy peasy, with a Mityvac .
Don't forget to keep the brake fluid reservoir topped up, or you will suck air into the top of the system.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:39 AM   #8
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I prefer the Motive with the European adapter. Super simple, no chance of air to get in.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Yes, use the correct adaptor for the vehicle (Motive makes a lot), and put the fluid in the Motive unit like you are supposed to do. It only takes about 5 min. to clean out the Motive unit after you use it, and you will save a lot more time than that by not having to run around the car.
I think Motive only has a universal adapter for Hondas, which is the one with the chain around the reservoir to clamp it down. People on Honda forums say that adapter is very flimsy and hard to set up for air tightness.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:19 AM   #10

Quote:
I think Motive only has a universal adapter for Hondas, which is the one with the chain around the reservoir to clamp it down. People on Honda forums say that adapter is very flimsy and hard to set up for air tightness.
I have that adapter for my Toyotas and it is very hard to get an airtight seal, a lot of fiddling is required... I am back to using the two man method when bleeding those. But for the Boxster and my son's Miata (whose clutch cylinder is the same as the boxster brake cap) which have the screw on adapters, the tool is the way to go.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
One word: Mityvac.

You can't open the bleed nipple and then pump the brake pedal several times. Each time the pedal comes back up, it will suck air back into the bleed nipple. You should press and hold down the brake pedal, open the nipple, allow the fluid (and air bubbles) to come out, then close the nipple before you release the brake pedal. Then repeat until the new brake fluid reaches the bleed nipple. That's why it's a 2-person job, or 1-person, easy peasy, with a Mityvac .
Don't forget to keep the brake fluid reservoir topped up, or you will suck air into the top of the system.
I have the hand pump Mityvac, and it sucks a lot of air through the bleeder valve thread, so I can't tell if my system is free of air when I use it
Old 06-10-2015, 07:31 AM   #12

Garage
Always use the specialized tool for this procedure.

boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:04 AM   #13

Quote:

I think this method is probably ok. Potential problem is if air leaks in around the bleed screw threads. If you have the hose set up so fluid siphons into the catch can while you are not pushing the pedal it should be ok.

Another option is to build your own motive adapter for the Honda. Buy a replacement cap and attach a fitting to it for the motive. Drill/tap the hole if there is enough thickness, and JB weld. I did this for my jeep before an adapter was available for it.
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:11 AM   #14

Quote:
There are two different size adaptors for the Honda/Acura line: Honda uses two size reservoirs. One reservoir is approximately 2.5" in diameter - that one uses the 1101 cap which comes with kit 0101. The other reservoir is about 3" in diameter. It uses cap 1119 which comes with kit 0119. You can use the 0119 on both size reservoirs, however the 0101 will only work on the smaller Reservoirs.

While both are "universal" style adaptors, they both work well, we use them regularly.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:05 AM   #15

Quote:
I have the hand pump Mityvac, and it sucks a lot of air through the bleeder valve thread, so I can't tell if my system is free of air when I use it
Hancock,

Why don't you put some teflon tape on the bleeder treads..? This will help to keep you from sucking vacuum through the treads.

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Hancock,

Why don't you put some teflon tape on the bleeder treads..? This will help to keep you from sucking vacuum through the treads.

You're joking right? You shouldn't say things like that. People who don't know better might actually do it.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:25 AM   #17

Garage
get a piece of air tubing like for an airline for an aquarium with a diameter that will fit over the bleeder valve. get a small clean jar with a cap. punch a hole in the cap so the airline fits into the hole and reaches the bottom of the jar. half fill the jar with fresh clean brake fluid. prop the jar so it stays upright and wont fall over you can use wire or a large rubber band. open the valve and leave it open. make sure the brake reservoir is full. now pump on your brake pedal. the air bubbles will be forced out and when the brake pedal is released it will suck in new fluid from the jar.