Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #201

10/10ths that is a nice looking muffler but no way I'm going to spend that kind of money, I would rather do suspension mods/maintenance .

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #202
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Makes sense....

...but the value remains, long after the price is forgotten.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:46 PM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
...but the value remains, long after the price is forgotten.
Awesome exhaust!

But wow, it's crazy how much does it costs now the Brombacher exhaust for the 987

Would you believe that I paid for mine about $1,750 (in two payments… ) at a group buy on the Cayman Club several years ago!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:09 AM   #204

Merry Christmas everyone the results are in ! Yes I picked the car up yesterday from Jake it spent a few weeks there for some hiccups we didn't anticipate. First off in an attempt to tone down the exhaust drone I foolishly had some resonators installed in the cat delete pipes. The person that installed them did a crappy job , they really didn't help with the drone and they were leaking and killing power . Thanks to Woody and another forum member I had another set of cat delete pipes and the u-bend pipes delivered to Jake. Exhaust now working properly and not leaking . Then we were deficient on fuel , turns out the fuel pump was going south . So a new pump was ordered/installed . Now that everything was up to snuff the dyno tuning began and the final numbers are 280 hp and 250 lb. ft. of torque at the rear wheels. She is a very healthy girl . Jake set the rev limiter to 7800 and she pulls strongly right up to it. I was quite surprised the intake system flows as well as it does the hp does not fall off . I thought she ran good before the tuning now it is a completely different animal . The throttle response is instant and she runs perfect . And the exhaust note now has no drone at all the combination of no leaks and car chemistry baffles installed in the exhaust tips have totally eliminated any drone. Just sweet music. Jake told me ahead of time that my exhaust was going to leave hp on the table and it did, a recent engine he completed similar to mine made 307 at the wheels with the only main difference being a custom straight exhaust ( no muffler ) . I am OK with the compromise as she is somewhat of a daily driver and the wife rides along also but knowing that there is more power there to be tapped is good also . And now my story ends I'm just going to drive her and have fun .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 12-24-2016, 05:07 AM   #205

Thanks for the update, drive it like you stole it. I've been following this thread since the beginning and feel like I've learned a lot from it. Glad you are enjoying it and that you have your health too. Happy holidays to you and everyone else on this forum!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:19 AM   #206

Merry Christmas indeed! Getting your car back just in time for Christmas is terrific present. Enjoy!

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #207

Thanks for the update. Sounds like she's totally dialed in. Enjoy and Merry Christmas.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:26 AM   #208

Had a great Christmas with the family and I'm very happy I have my health back . Drove the beast yesterday in the rain now that was interesting ! Very light touch on the throttle is needed otherwise slipping and sliding are the norm . I will admit power sliding in the wet does add to the fun factor ! I hope everyone has a healthy and happy new year .
Old 12-27-2016, 08:51 AM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
pkp4911 if the approximate number you are asking for is the price for the engine no I am not willing to share that. I think because Jake and I are distant friends he probably did a few things for me that he normally wouldn't do for others and it wouldn't be fair to Jake to advertise the price. What I have said in past postings if you are a bean counter this engine doesn't make financial sense in regards that the engine cost much more than the car is worth. But that didn't concern me when I started conversations with Jake about this build. I wanted a real sleeper of a Boxster and that's exactly what I have. I can't wait to get this on Road Atlanta and stretch her legs but I have a lot more miles to get on her before that happens.
Many months have passed now since reading about your build. Congrats! Happy to see it finally come to fruition with more disclosure about out of pocket costs.
I'm the guy with the 03 3.2S in Denver who tracked the car one time (admittedly HOT day) and despite deep sump, no over revs, previous leak down and updated IMS lost a main bearing and toasted motor...(30 years with my 73 911 and not one track failure--guessing 6K miles at high RPM's over the course of that time.) I digress...

In my quest to replace the 3.2, I stumbled across an 03 3.6 with 60k and updated IMS. Leak down good, everything there. I read everything I could...Pelican 101 cover to cover and hit all the forums as well for months. found a shop here in Denver who performed the swap with the agreement being that I could help. After 3 long months, pulling old motor , swapping old to the new, cleaning everything, replacing tensioners, checking chain tolerances, replaced coil packs, gaskets, seals, etc. we were ready to put the motor back in.

Initially, able to fire the car as soon as everything was hooked up but had some immediate tuning issues with Softronic due to bad MAF (replaced twice! ) and the altitude here in Colorado. One mistake, (well actually several mistakes) but thus far, a BIG mistake was that they decided to accelerate the schedule and put the motor back in and when we went to hook things up we realized the error they didn't put the air box in first. I was not there the afternoon that they decided to put it all back in.
By then it would have been too much effort to drop the motor just put the air box in. Time is money...As anyone has done this before and knows, we were already way over budget. So I've been running a simple cone system with a mcguivered hand-built airbox which basically seals the cone to the outside duct coming in.

This is not optimal by any stretch especially as I live on a very dusty dirty road . I think my MAF issues are related to dirt getting in and causing the system to misread. I'd always intended to utilize the stock box because everything I've read says it it's still the best and at my age, I'm not one that needs a lot of noise or things like that.

I retained the stock 3.2 exhaust system with the Pedro Muffler modification due to emission laws where I live. Headers straight pipes and customized Muffler of some sort are slated.

I am using the factory 996 throttle body and was very careful matching the internal diameters and radii to the size of throttle body. All of my bends are very smooth and there are no major disturbances internally. I am using turbo grade clamps and used a 3-inch (or there abouts) aluminum tube to run the distance before it bends again at the side of the car to transition towards the air box. I measured where the factory MAF location is and then used the MAF from the OE housing from the factory to emulate the distance of air flow and pattern of airflow as consistently as possible. I also recreated a mesh out of stainless with the same approximate size grid pattern to recreate the necessary turbulence/air flow pattern for the MAF to read properly.

I am also running an underdrive pulley a 160-degree thermostat with the softronic 3.6 performance tune. With elevation factored, we estimated that we should be seeing about a 10% gross horsepower loss over the factory 300 HP in addition to maybe 5% parasitic drivetrain losses. All that said I was still hoping that I would see a significant performance gain over the 3.2. Having put about 3,000 miles on the conversion I've only had one time where I thought this car performed where it absolutely should. Nonetheless I was very excited about that and know that just a matter of time to Chase what I perceive to be a tune issue. I still think that my MAF is sending the wrong information to the ECU and performance parameters are hindered.
The only time this car PERFORMED to the degree that I thought it would from the beginning was after I had meticulously recleaned the MAF, cleaned the entire intake track to the throttle body (which was quite dirty at that point). I then used carburetor cleaner extensively inside the intake tracks as well.
Any thoughts on anything stated above would be welcome. I realize this is a somewhat complicated deal even though it's described as a plug-and-play with same vintage engine and m96 architecture, ECU, excetera excetera.

Again very glad to hear that Jake has done such an outstanding job with your build. I'd be ecstatic if I had a proportionate level of performance relative to what I've spent to enhance performance over the stock engine at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by pkp4911; 12-27-2016 at 09:11 AM.
pkp4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:01 AM   #210

pkp4911 not much I can comment on your conversion as I don't have any real world experience with it . What I can comment on is how the engine Jake built for me has transformed my car. It is night and day different between the original 3.2 and the motor Jake built . I don't have the dyno sheet in front of me on the 3.2 but going on memory my new engine is laying down about 70 more hp to the wheels which is HUGE ! Torque also is much more then original . That is just comparing numbers , in real world driving it feels like the gap between OEM and what I have now is even more than that . The car drives like it has well over 300 at the wheels it really is a beast . And the power curve is very linear , it just grows and grows as the rev's continue to climb. No dead spots or flat spots .
From what Jake has told me in emails and personal conversations no OEM 3.6 is going to feel/drive like my motor and that's because of ALL of the internal voodoo that Jake did to it . As he say's it's all in the combo . Add to that all the tuning experience Jake has it's no wonder my car is as good as it is . I think in your case you need to find a tuner that REALLY knows modern Porsche's and how to tune them . That's probably as good as you are going to get without diving into the internals . Good luck with your project .
Old 12-28-2016, 04:47 AM   #211

Garage
Makes me want to have my car Jake'd!
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #212

Garage
[QUOTE=pkp4911;520838]
I am using the factory 996 throttle body and was very careful matching the internal diameters and radii to the size of throttle body. All of my bends are very smooth and there are no major disturbances internally. I am using turbo grade clamps and used a 3-inch (or there abouts) aluminum tube to run the distance before it bends again at the side of the car to transition towards the air box. I measured where the factory MAF location is and then used the MAF from the OE housing from the factory to emulate the distance of air flow and pattern of airflow as consistently as possible. I also recreated a mesh out of stainless with the same approximate size grid pattern to recreate the necessary turbulence/air flow pattern for the MAF to read properly.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but this is an interesting story. I'd recommend starting this as a new thread. That said, You have a lot of detail in this post, but the question I have that I don't see is did you use the OE MAF housing along with the OE MAF in your intake you built? To calculate flow the MAF has to have the correct ID along with velocity, temp etc. Hopefully it is something this simple.

Last edited by 911monty; 12-28-2016 at 07:40 AM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:09 PM   #213

[QUOTE=911monty;520944]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkp4911 View Post

Don't want to hijack this thread, but this is an interesting story. I'd recommend starting this as a new thread. That said, You have a lot of detail in this post, but the question I have that I don't see is did you use the OE MAF housing along with the OE MAF in your intake you built? To calculate flow the MAF has to have the correct ID along with velocity, temp etc. Hopefully it is something this simple.
Monty, I did use the existing OE location/tube with integral MAF mounting location and of course the factory 996 prefix on the MAF itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
pkp4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #214

Wow how time flies it has been over a year ! The car is running great with zero issues . I enjoy her every time I get behind the wheel . Rear tires don't seem to last very long There is nothing I would change . And on my health front all systems go no issues
I am going to retire in about 6 months and will be able to put more miles on the beast !
Old 07-10-2017, 04:39 PM   #215

Quote:
Wow how time flies it has been over a year ! The car is running great with zero issues . I enjoy her every time I get behind the wheel . Rear tires don't seem to last very long There is nothing I would change . And on my health front all systems go no issues
I am going to retire in about 6 months and will be able to put more miles on the beast !
That is great news, congratulations!!!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #216

Garage
Glad to hear! It's hard to believe it has been a year already. Very happy to hear your health issues are behind you
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #217

Congrats! I checked out your videos and it sounds great. Just a blur of silver as you whizzed by
Old 07-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #218

Quote:
pkp4911 if the approximate number you are asking for is the price for the engine no I am not willing to share that. I think because Jake and I are distant friends he probably did a few things for me that he normally wouldn't do for others and it wouldn't be fair to Jake to advertise the price. What I have said in past postings if you are a bean counter this engine doesn't make financial sense in regards that the engine cost much more than the car is worth. But that didn't concern me when I started conversations with Jake about this build. I wanted a real sleeper of a Boxster and that's exactly what I have. I can't wait to get this on Road Atlanta and stretch her legs but I have a lot more miles to get on her before that happens.

I have a much much earlier build of a 3.6 M96 engine Jake built for me. It is hard to imagine one any better, but obviously Jake has learned much! Mine was completed in 2009 and hopefully helped get to the differences between then and now. I used it as a daily driver for a few years and the last few just as a toy. I don't regret a dime I spent and have enjoyed it immensely. The power delivery
And throttle response is simply amazing! My intent was to keep the car until I couldn't drive it anymore and I will likely reach that goal haha!

Reading this thread makes Me want to Go through another build doing what Jake is doing now. I have another car that is bone stock now, so who knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2018, 07:49 AM   #219

I was killing time this morning on the computer and realized it's been a year since last posting ! First and foremost all health follow up visits have been perfect with no issues Second is the car is still as rock solid as ever , only issue is a slight high idle which we believe we have traced to the ECU . Will probably have to pull the ECU and the immobilizer and send to the ECU doctor in Florida . But for now I am holding off as the car is just too much fun to drive . Oh yeah I retired on 12/1/17 at the ripe old age of 60 and there is NOTHING about work that I miss !!! Life is very good at the moment enjoying every day to the fullest . We moved into our retirement house the fall of last year and I'm currently finishing up a 2 car detached garage to house the beast complete with 2 post lift and AC/heat . We are loving it in the North GA. mountains .
Old 04-22-2018, 08:53 AM   #220

Fantastic news on all fronts!! Great to hear you're still enjoying your Rabyized 986 and ,most importantly, your retirement. Keep us in the loop and the sun at your back

Last edited by pidj; 04-22-2018 at 12:18 PM.
pidj is offline   Reply With Quote