Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2015, 11:24 AM   #1

Airbag light turned On

Last night I noticed a red light flicking on the dash on and off, and today it came on again but remained on. What could causing this light to be on?

PS: I checked and the rear of the seats are not putting pressure aganist the firewall

Last edited by Gilles; 06-06-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #2

Garage
You need to get the trouble code. A fairly common alarm on the earlier models is the passenger seat buckle. Cleaning the seat belt sensor connection under the passenger seat solves that problem.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
You need to get the trouble code. A fairly common alarm on the earlier models is the passenger seat buckle. Cleaning the seat belt sensor connection under the passenger seat solves that problem.
My Ford had an airbag light a few days ago and that is exactly what it was. With the Ford, the light blinked a code with the key turned on, engine off. 4-7. Do the Porsches give a code like that or do you need a PST2/Durametric to get the fault code?
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
My Ford had an airbag light a few days ago and that is exactly what it was. With the Ford, the light blinked a code with the key turned on, engine off. 4-7. Do the Porsches give a code like that or do you need a PST2/Durametric to get the fault code?
You will need a code reader. I am not aware of any light blinking the trouble code for Porsche, like Ford and GM has on some of their models.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #5

You will need a Durametric, PST2 or PIWIS to read the airbag codes as they aren't ones Porsche has to release to third party maintainers and thus a normal code reader won't read them.

You didn't say what year your car was. The 986s had belt buckle problems and grounding problems. Mine went in 4 times before it was finally sorted and it took both belt buckles and the grounding strap twice. There was a TSB for the grounding issue. http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/airbagwarninglighttsb
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:25 PM   #6

Sorry Mike, the car is an '07 987 Cayman S
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #7
JCL

Hi. I have a similar problem with airbag light on after I did some work requiring passenger airbag come out. My question is: "Until I get the '97 B to the dealer, will the airbag still deploy if car is in an accident?" Thanks.

jlortho is offline   Reply With Quote