Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2015, 08:09 PM   #41

In China it is marked in English overtaking lane on the left and carriage lane to the right. I don't know what carriage lane means exactly but I do know what overtaking means.

Rick

SoCalBlackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:02 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Wait... so a kid on his bike has to yield to you even when you have the stop sign? Where does it say that he should walk his bike through the cross walk?
Well duh , of course I stop at stop signs. I never said anything about crosswalks when I have a stop sign. Bicycles here are subject to the same laws as cars. We have crosswalks at every main intersection, whether there is a stop sign or not. Most of the bike riders here are adults, not kids (what difference does it make how old they are), and regardless of their age, they are not supposed to ride down the sidewalk from a cross street, (they are not supposed to ride on sidewalks, which are for pedestrians, at all) through a stop sign that they have, and into the crosswalk, expecting cars to stop for them because they are in a crosswalk, as if they were pedestrians! I always stop for pedestrians in, or waiting to use, a crosswalk even if I have no stop sign. Besides being courteous, it's the law here.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #43

Main intersections without either a stop sign or traffic light at the cross walk?
Yet there are local ordinances specifically prohibiting bikes from using the cross walk?

I can see why you and bike riders are not on the same page. The cyclists are probably looking for the cover of at least the cross walk in the absence of light or stop sign, still against the ordinance however.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-09-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:42 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Main intersections without either a stop sign or traffic light at the cross walk?
Yet there are local ordinances specifically prohibiting bikes from using the cross walk?

I can see why you and bike riders are not on the same page. The cyclists are probably looking for the cover of at least the cross walk in the absence of light or stop sign, still against the ordinance however.
No, I don't think you are understanding the issue. The cross streets have stop signs, and crosswalks across the main street. We drivers on the main street (no stop sign) have to yield to pedestrians who are in the crosswalks (of course), or who are standing at the curb waiting to use them. The problem is, some bicyclists (not kids, they usually have more sense) come from riding on the sidewalks on the cross streets and ride right into the crosswalks, expecting the car drivers on the main streets to yield to them, as if they were pedestrians (I still try not to hit them, it could ruin my day ). Sorry, I can't explain it any better than that !
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #45

No I get it. I'm a cyclist approaching the intersection, and there's a stop sign. If I run it I'm breaking the traffic laws and liable to be cited if there's cop nearby. If I run the stop sign expecting an oncoming car to stop, whether I'm in the cross walk or not, it's suicidal. Actually I knew a driver who killed a guy on a bike this way, apparently a drifter type. The driver had his car impounded, lawyers, court, a whole big thing before he was finally cleared.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote