Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #21

A couple of random thoughts....

1) Enough fuel in the tank for the pump pickup - is the car at an angle?
2) Old fuel.
3) Can you hear the fuel pump pressure up when ignition first switched on?
4) Set the throttle body - disconnect battery, reconnect, ignition switch on (no start) for 1 minute, switch off for 10 seconds then attempt start.
5) Check ALL electrical connections that could have possibly been compromised when transmission / clutch removed.
6) If you have spark (as per Health Services) spray engine start down throttle body and see if there's fire in the hold.
7) Durametric ?? if no spark?

Old 05-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #22
Beginner

Garage
Careful if the gas is flowing and the spark is not. A friend and I set his car on fire when we successfully figured out how to get the spark. Had a great time putting it out before the garage burned down. It was brilliant.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:49 PM   #23
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
A couple of random thoughts....

1) Enough fuel in the tank for the pump pickup - is the car at an angle?
Yes. Fresh tank, 4 months old now but smells fresh.

2) Old fuel.
See above. Don't think so.

3) Can you hear the fuel pump pressure up when ignition first switched on?
Yes.

4) Set the throttle body - disconnect battery, reconnect, ignition switch on (no start) for 1 minute, switch off for 10 seconds then attempt start.
Have to try this, but never did it before when car was without battery.

5) Check ALL electrical connections that could have possibly been compromised when transmission / clutch removed.
Checked. All good. Went over it a few times.

6) If you have spark (as per Health Services) spray engine start down throttle body and see if there's fire in the hold.
Have to check spark next, but want to fix windows not dropping issue to make sure it's not related.

7) Durametric ?? if no spark?
Nope. Just a BT OBD reader.

Thanks. Early tomorrow more testing.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:30 PM   #24
I am my own mechanic....

Well, power down and back up and got windows working.

Separated from my wife last night, so I have lots of free time to finish this. Just need to get it to fire up before all the rear braces go on. Welded flat bolt together flanges on the exhaust where the slip clamps go. Less weight, no leaks.

Sad days and nights ahead.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:02 PM   #25
I am my own mechanic....

So I have no spark but no dura. Any advise from here?

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Separated from my wife last night, so I have lots of free time to finish this. Sad days and nights ahead.
Timco - I am sorry to hear about this. I have been walking down that road for almost two years now. Hang in there. It will get better.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:38 PM   #27
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Timco I'm sorry to hear that.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:52 PM   #28
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Timco I'm sorry to hear that.
Thank you both. Really tough times. (Emotionally. Work is super busy. )

Not sure how two people start seeing things so differently 10 years later.

It gets bitter, then just mean, then feelings are totally ignored.

Overcoming this car start thing is a good thing to not think about the home I built for 10 years or my chickens or Sparky.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:02 PM   #29
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
It happens. I truly wish you the best. I agree that the car is a great distraction. Hang in there.

Last edited by tommy583; 05-26-2015 at 03:44 PM.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:55 PM   #30
Need For Speed

Garage
Well I want to say sorry to hear about the separation, some times it's for the better. Split from my ex-wife back in 2004, it was tough at first, but I have to say I have immensely enjoyed my life without her. I will probably never get married again, love my freedom.

Wish you would get your dang car working. I have no clue what to tell you on that.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #31

Garage
Quote:

Overcoming this car start thing is a good thing to not think about the home I built for 10 years or my chickens or Sparky.
You live in Utah... Can't you have like ten wives??

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:58 PM   #32

Garage
Quote:

You live in Utah... Can't you have like ten wives??

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:52 AM   #33
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
So I have no spark but no dura. Any advise from here?

Thanks.
Sorry to hear about your separation. No spark starts back the CPS. I know the electronic part buzzed out, but in situations like this I look at what I've messed with, and go over each item. Unless the immobilizer might have been damaged with the seat out I'd be looking at that last. I'd figure out which wiring harness connections control spark and focus on them, then the wires between them. After this you can have two Sparkys with the car being the second. Hang in there.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:30 AM   #34
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Sorry to hear about your separation. No spark starts back the CPS. I know the electronic part buzzed out, but in situations like this I look at what I've messed with, and go over each item. Unless the immobilizer might have been damaged with the seat out I'd be looking at that last. I'd figure out which wiring harness connections control spark and focus on them, then the wires between them. After this you can have two Sparkys with the car being the second. Hang in there.
Thanks. Never pulled the seats and never touched the relay blocks in the rear trunk. Every wire looks fine. Looks like Durametric time....
Old 05-22-2015, 06:43 AM   #35

My understanding is that if you see RPM on the tach, then the CPS is working. No CPS= no RPM on the tach.

To test a spark plug you can just take one out and look at it while you try to crank the car. Be sure to hold it with something insulated or else the spark may get you. Harbor Freight also sells a little device that the spark plugs screws into, and then you put it in the spark plug well, and I think it lights up. I bought it when troubleshooting my son's Ford Ranger no start problem (turned out to be a g-force fuel cut off switch)

However, the wheel/notches that turns that the CPS looks at - does it come off during any part of the process? The reason I ask is that on the Miata that wheel does come off as part of a timing belt change and if you put it back on backwards you get RPM and spark plugs firing, but at the wrong times so the engine doesn't start. Flipping that wheel around and it started right up. I could be way off base. [Edit I just looked up some parts diagrams and it looks like I am way off base here ]

Good luck.

Steve

On the other, I went through the same thing in 2009 - it was a rough time filled with a lot of self doubt. There was no reconciliation and ultimately things got a lot better but it was a rough time. Best wishes.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:26 AM   #36
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
My understanding is that if you see RPM on the tach, then the CPS is working. No CPS= no RPM on the tach.

To test a spark plug you can just take one out and look at it while you try to crank the car. Be sure to hold it with something insulated or else the spark may get you. Harbor Freight also sells a little device that the spark plugs screws into, and then you put it in the spark plug well, and I think it lights up. I bought it when troubleshooting my son's Ford Ranger no start problem (turned out to be a g-force fuel cut off switch)

However, the wheel/notches that turns that the CPS looks at - does it come off during any part of the process? The reason I ask is that on the Miata that wheel does come off as part of a timing belt change and if you put it back on backwards you get RPM and spark plugs firing, but at the wrong times so the engine doesn't start. Flipping that wheel around and it started right up. I could be way off base. [Edit I just looked up some parts diagrams and it looks like I am way off base here ]

Good luck.

Steve

On the other, I went through the same thing in 2009 - it was a rough time filled with a lot of self doubt. There was no reconciliation and ultimately things got a lot better but it was a rough time. Best wishes.
The teeth are welded on or a permanent part of the DMF. The CPS never was moved or removed. I used a color inspection camera and checked the teeth.

Shot a bit of starting fluid in the TB. No kick at all. Has to be spark related. Car on the ground and just needs engine cover & access hole closed, and it's on the road. Just need some spark. Talk about self doubt!! I've examined the compartments and every single fuse.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:46 PM   #37
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Thanks. Never pulled the seats and never touched the relay blocks in the rear trunk. Every wire looks fine. Looks like Durametric time....
I have a Durametric and I'm not sure what good it will do you if the car is not running. It brings up all of the proprietary information, and allows turning on and off items that the computer normally does, like the SAI blower. I'm not sure how much good that will do if the engine is not running. If anyone has any tips on using one to troubleshoot a non-start feel free to chime in.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #38
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
i do it cave man style, pull out a coil, stick a spark plug on it, ground the outside of the plug, and have someone crank while i look for spark at the plug.
+1 (why is there a ten letter minimum message size?)
Old 05-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #39
Registered Boxster abuser

Make double sure all grounds are connected and good.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:03 PM   #40

I think it is immobiliser - it will kill spark but still let you crank. so, security system is still on although doors are unlocked. try locking/unlocking doors w/ key and with fob. still got rf pill in fob?

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote