Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2015, 02:47 PM   #21

Def need performance headers. Cat delete is a good idea but chk with your state about inspection

Had the NHP perf headers installed on mine along with their full exhaust system. Sounds man, sounds just like a F1 car loll Great in the mid/top range RPM, lacks completely in the lower. Not the type of set-up you want for a city car e.g if you drive between traffic lights all day long.

Trade off is the 'sound'. Nothing like huge OD headers wrapped with thermo (asbestos?). Throttle is massively quicker also

What else... nothing. $2,500 later loll just sounds good

Old 05-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #22

My state is Florida...land of the free (tax and inspection free).
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Steve,
very useful to have a recommendation for inexpensive alternative parts:
"cheap Chinese headers from (you probably know the ones from Texas)"
Don't be shy, please tell us the name of the company?
Was it this guy?
Top Speed Pro 1 Performance
Porsche Boxster 2 5L 97 99 Performance Exhaust Header Headers Long Tube Runner | eBay
Yes these are the ones I was talking about. No problem regards quality of the material, but if I were to buy / fit them again I would enlarge the bolt holes slightly. The holes are so closely drilled & tight that there is no room for movement to get the bolt threads to start easily.
For the money you cant go wrong......
Old 05-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #24
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
As posted above I've had these cheap eBay headers/manifolds on both my Boxsters. Both have come with a lambda hole which I've just bunged up. They are the same generic ones resold by hundreds of different people.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:21 PM   #25

anyone running these max speed headers with 200 cell cats ?

Porsche Boxster 986 / S NHP 200 Cells Exhaust Headers - Maxspeed-Motorsports

i have read mixed reviews about them . small gains but huge improvement with sound !
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:26 AM   #26

There would need to be more than an improvement in sound at $1,200 ....
Old 05-15-2015, 12:57 AM   #27
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Yes, the cat less eBay headers here cost less than $US200
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:12 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
There would need to be more than an improvement in sound at $1,200 ....
seems like a bargain compared to these Fabspeed headers

Porsche 986 Boxster Sport Headers - Fabspeed Motorsport
Old 05-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #29

So, the bargain set up without a CEL seems to be the CHE exhaust(which I already have) and the cat delete pipes sold on through this forum for $159.00, is that accurate? There doesn't seem to be any more gain with hp or sound by going with the El-Cheapo headers. (Some posts are saying they actuall lose torque below certain rpm).
Old 05-15-2015, 01:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
So, the bargain set up without a CEL seems to be the CHE exhaust(which I already have) and the cat delete pipes sold on through this forum for $159.00, is that accurate? There doesn't seem to be any more gain with hp or sound by going with the El-Cheapo headers. (Some posts are saying they actuall lose torque below certain rpm).
it's all in the cats . 200 cell cats flow much better . may loose a little torque but the motor will rev much more freely and will enhance the sound . i currently have your set up with the delete pipes the only thing missing is the headers with 200 cell cats .

i got stainless headers , fabspeed X pipe with 200 cell cats and PSE in my 3.4 996 . The sound is just awesome .
Old 05-16-2015, 08:17 AM   #31
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eicheldp View Post
I purchased Cat Deletes from Top Speed Pro. They have a special offer to forum members.

Originally Posted by delubozparts
Hi Don,

Yes Bruce had the same Test Pipes on his Boxster, we do offer the same deal for 986forum members $159.99 Free Shipping.

You can send Pay Pal payment directly to deluboz@aol.com

to place order, please make sure include a side note stating for 986forum.com Test Pipe purchase.

Thank you for Business & Support !

John

We just received New shipment for the Porsche 986 Boxster Test Pipes in 50mm piping about 2"

Special Offer for Members, only 10 sets of each First come first serve basis.

Boxster 2.5L 97-99 List Price $169.99 Member $139.99 Free S/H 48 States

Boxster 2.7L Boxster S 3.2L 00-04 List Price $189.99 Member $159.99 Free S/H 48 States.

Cat Bypass (Test) Pipes

Please PM direct for Order instructions, Thank you !

Che @ Top Speed Pro-1
That's an old post you quoted. I contacted him the other day for the cat delete pipes and the price is now $185.00 shipped.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
That's an old post you quoted. I contacted him the other day for the cat delete pipes and the price is now $185.00 shipped.
Yes, a bit old for the quote, I purchased mine in Feb 2015.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:22 AM   #33

Jacabean, that sounds like the set up I plan on putting in.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:59 AM   #34

I installed OBX headers I got off Ebay.They were a mid range price point. Good fit except a trans line was close so I wrapped it ( 99 Tip ) I also installed a Mantis UP . I did notice a slight power increase sounds great.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
I think you may benefit more from quality headers, but secondary deletes are cheap and easy in comparison.

I think from your avatar you have a S, which means you should have your O2 sensors on your headers. This means to stay emissions compliant/have less CEL problems, you would need to get headers with cats ($$$) or extend O2 sensor wires and tap them I into your secondary cats (hassle).
But, you are in Florida, so I guess if you got cat-less headers you could just tie your sensors out of the way and have no problems.

Other thing to consider is drone - if your current exhaust drones, secondary deletes will likely cure that.

I went with secondary deletes for these reasons. Sounds awesome, seems to pull a little harder at the top end and be a bit more responsive.
Hi where i live there is no air care inspection so i can run catless headers. I have 4 o2 senors on header/cat.2003 boxster. I have some headers that only have 2 o2 plugs. Can i just plug in the 2 o2 sensors and tie the other 2 up and get no check engine light like you mentioned?
eomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:20 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
If you go by the old Fabspeed web site....the 2nd cat deletes show more hp gain. This is with catted headers I believe. It has been noted on this forum that going with catless headers (even cheap ones) and monitoring catted mid pipes provide the best performance....provided you have the diameters correct and are not upsetting scavenge velocity. There have been issues with extending O2 leads to the mid pipes and warm up codes noted as well. This can be cured with a ROW flash.

Then we come to the muffler. Apparently it flows quite well and is good for power, although it is heavy. I have mine bypassed so it is quite nice sounding.
jakay, do you you have 2nd cat delete pipes on your car? Any problems passing Ontario e testing?
pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:54 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
If you go by the old Fabspeed web site....the 2nd cat deletes show more hp gain. This is with catted headers I believe. It has been noted on this forum that going with catless headers (even cheap ones) and monitoring catted mid pipes provide the best performance....provided you have the diameters correct and are not upsetting scavenge velocity. There have been issues with extending O2 leads to the mid pipes and warm up codes noted as well. This can be cured with a ROW flash.

Then we come to the muffler. Apparently it flows quite well and is good for power, although it is heavy. I have mine bypassed so it is quite nice sounding.
I have headers with no cats, straight connector pipes back to the rear cats, where the O2 sensors are fit. also have stock exhaust muffler.

car is a '99 box basic. the previous owner had the exhaust system installed. I don't know if the ecu was flashed or not.

timlawton is offline   Reply With Quote