Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2015, 06:28 PM   #21

Like I said I have done my seats and carpet. Clean and prep, clean and prep. You will be spraying this on so a calm air environment is a must. Be prepared to put 5 to 12 coats to completely dye it and each coat will need at least 6 hours to dry. On problem areas where it might be a bit thick as far as the dye goes use a heat gun sparingly to set the color and let cool before respraying. I used two cans of propellent and could not find it locally so order at least two cans. You will not be able to use the last 15% of the propellant can because it will not have enough pressure to spray the dye. A cheap 12 dollar HVLP gun would be better and then just dispose of it after you are finished.

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #22
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Like I said I have done my seats and carpet. Clean and prep, clean and prep. You will be spraying this on so a calm air environment is a must. Be prepared to put 5 to 12 coats to completely dye it and each coat will need at least 6 hours to dry. On problem areas where it might be a bit thick as far as the dye goes use a heat gun sparingly to set the color and let cool before respraying. I used two cans of propellent and could not find it locally so order at least two cans. You will not be able to use the last 15% of the propellant can because it will not have enough pressure to spray the dye. A cheap 12 dollar HVLP gun would be better and then just dispose of it after you are finished.
How are the seats holding up? The dash doesn't get much wear besides the sun beating on it. So if it holds up on seats I'd figure the dash would be fine as well.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:50 PM   #23

Seats and carpet still look fine a year later...the crack filler is staying in place
Old 05-13-2015, 06:52 PM   #24

Here is the finished product a year ago

The scary part, sanding and filling cracks before the dying

Old 05-13-2015, 08:04 PM   #25
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
WOW that looks great!! How do you like the shifter? I have the same one, I love it.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #26

Yes I do, I hope it fits the short shifter I have but have not had time to install
Old 05-13-2015, 08:18 PM   #27
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I have the 997 shifter, so I'd think a short shifter would work fine as well.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #28

I don't know dude... Boxster red can look pretty nice if you mix in some dark grey.
This is my next project after replacing the top. I already have the seats, carbon Tequipment shifter and silver center console.
I might have the Polish guys do my wheel but I kinda like the better feedback from a thinner steering wheel.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-14-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:02 PM   #29
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I don't know dude... Boxster red can look pretty nice if you mix in some dark grey.
This is my next project after replacing the top. I already have the seats, carbon Tequipment shifter and silver center console.
I might have the Polish guys do my wheel but I kinda like the better feedback from a thinner steering wheel.

I agree boxster red can look cool. But my seats were shot and I found black ones locally for $200 for the pair. I also got the whole interior in black from the same guy for another $200. Door panels, rollbar pads, storage box, center console, some of the carpet. He was making a race car, so he striped it out. I feel the black makes it look much more modern. The only thing left red now is the dash. I guess if I had the dash and the door panels still in red it would look pretty good. But the wife likes black better, so spending the money on it is easier lol.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:28 PM   #30

well see here's the the thing with black. You already have black in the center console and all the those bits on the dash. Unless it's the nicer leather option, all black leather (vinyl?) makes the 986/996 interior look a bit monotone and a little dated. You need some color accenting either by painting the center console to match the exterior, adding a nicer looking steering wheel, or some nicer leather with maybe deviated stitching on gauges cover the and door panels. If everthing is bone stock and black it's going to look like a basic option package car and that's not really the look the designers had in mind. Porsche only downgraded it so that they could upsell all those overpriced interior options.

p.s.
does the parting out the boxster still have the roll hoop windscreens?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-14-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #31
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Well I've got the cool new steering wheel and leather airbag with silver crest. I was going to paint the strips in the center of the dash silver. I have the silver gauges, door pulls, door handles, shift knob and ebrake. I also have some silver pedals from suncoast. I was thinking that would be just enough silver without looking like I'm trying to hard. Oh and it is a leather dash. If I end up buying a new one it will be leather as well. I agree the vinyl looks cheap.

He has them but won't separate them from the whole rollbar. I already asked him 20 times lol.

Last edited by tommy583; 05-14-2015 at 01:40 PM.