Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2006, 06:50 PM   #1

Store top UP or Down?

Is there any harm in temporarily storing a Boxster witht the top down? I only drive the car on nice weekends and keep it in the garage most of the week and figure the fewer times I cycle the top transmission, the longer it will last.

Will the plastic window deform from being "folded" for several days? Or is it best just to keep it tight and stretched in the up position when not in use?

mark

mwh98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh98
Is there any harm in temporarily storing a Boxster witht the top down? I only drive the car on nice weekends and keep it in the garage most of the week and figure the fewer times I cycle the top transmission, the longer it will last.

Will the plastic window deform from being "folded" for several days? Or is it best just to keep it tight and stretched in the up position when not in use?

mark
I would store it up.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:13 PM   #3

Top up. I don't know if it's bad for the top to be stored down or not, but at the least your interior is going to get dirty.
Phil Buxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:54 AM   #4

Store it up. The last thing you want is to have the back window cold when you take it out one day and put the top up to only find that you just cracked it.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:32 AM   #5

Mine is 9 years old and original. I always store it up and even polish the window every time I cycle from down to up. The polish removes the "cloudy" appearance near the outside window edges where the fold occurs.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:45 AM   #6

Store it down, as long as you watch it fold when it goes down, and make sure the crease is even. I had my last Boxster S for 3 years and think I had the top up a total of 72 hours in those 3 years, and the rear window was just fine, in fact, perfect, as the only time you could see a crease in it was when it was cold, but as soon as the top goes up, it stretches, and the sun shines on it, it's perfectly flat again. Now I have the glass window so it is not as big of a deal, but I still store it down, all the time.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:59 AM   #7

There shouldn't be any harm in "temporarily" storing it with the top down. But, if you choose that route throw a cover over the car or the interior to keep out the dust and such.

Personally, I always throw the top up at home or if it's sitting outside for any length of time.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:24 PM   #8

I wouldn't worry about the window so much as canvas being folded. You don't want the canvas rubbing against itself. Over time with repeated lowering and raising you start to notice dark spots where the canvas rubs against the bows. Treat it with Raggtopp protectant and rinse it weekly.

But do Keep it up as much as possible and get a softop cover keep dust off of it. Dust is your biggest enemy when it comes to preserving the dark look of your top. NOthing looks worse than a shiny Porsche with a faded top.

and don't leave the car unattended with the top down. Your headlights are VERY easy to steal.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote