Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #1

Garage
"Singer" Boxster

I was watching Chris Harris's video on the Singer 911, and I got to thinking, what if someone ever made what was essentially a "Singer" Boxster? So basically remanufactuing the whole car in better quality than when new. Thoughts? I know the Boxster isn't as desirable car as an aircooled 911, but it would be great for the guys like us who really appreciate the first gen Boxster. It's smaller size than the new car, classic but still modern looks, etc... Just drooling and daydreaming over the thought of a "Perfect" 986... Maybe further on down the road, the Naturally Aspirated Boxer 6 Boxsters will become essentially what the the Aircooled cars are becoming today as turbo 4 Boxsters take over. A guy can only dream...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJQ4hQSusjE

OklahomaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #2

Might not be as desirable car as an aircooled 911 , but yesterday at the short track they had setup here a Cayman was giving the 911's heck and beating them almost every time ....I don't think anyone ever got out of 3rd gear

The surprise was the big Ole Panamera beating several 911's while hauling 4 passengers
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:10 PM   #3

I had a look at the blue & orange car at Monterey a few years back - freaking lovely, I just stood and stared at its rear end for what seemed like hours!
Rob Dickinson is a very talented and a perfectionist!

Here is what he got up to before designing cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtTqR9oZX6Q

from a fellow 'Shoegazer"!
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #4

Desire-ability is in the eye of the desire-holder.

I desire no oil leaks on my drive way.
I desire a fully functioning AC.
I desire HID-illuminated night driving.
I desire skipping costly engine rebuilds as a regular part of long-term ownership.
I desire lots of air bags when SUV texting guy plows into the back of me.
I desire replacement parts that are not sky-rocketing in price due to market bubbles.
I desire a rust free car with modern multi-stage paint that shines as bright in year 15 as it did in year 1.

Oh wait we get all that already

Signer backdate cars to bring those cars aspects of what we've already been enjoying.

On the other hand we get to enjoy "forward-dating" of Boxsters that now include 375 HP, a level of power not seen on the 911 Carrera ever. A mere 34 ponies below a 997 GT3. Nostalgia is great and all but at Singer type money, or even half that much, I'll take the factory warranty. But don't get me wrong I love feeding beluga caviar and Ace of Spades to all my super model girlfriends on my Ibiza-docked yacht as much as the next guy.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-12-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Desire-ability is in the eye of the desire-holder.
But you know, when the OP wrote his post, you're car is the first one I thought of as a step in the direction of a nicely modified Boxster that could be the basis for a "Singer-esque" type 986.

I plot every day on how to make my Boxsters unique/reliable/factory looking all while being one-off type cars in the style of a Singer.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:59 PM   #6

jacquemond do a really nice wide body kit that doesn't look too boy racer (esp the rear end). and, if you just want the big back, the rear flares sold by american international racing look to be jacquemond knock-offs.

Last edited by The Radium King; 04-13-2015 at 12:01 AM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:31 AM   #7
Need For Speed

Garage
I like the car, but that price!
Old 04-13-2015, 05:42 AM   #8

Meh...
+1 Perfectlap; I love my Boxster just how it is. If I had $1/2 million, I wouldn't spend it on a 911 !
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Meh...
+1 Perfectlap; I love my Boxster just how it is. If I had $1/2 million, I wouldn't spend it on a 911 !
But would you spend $4mm on a 550?

I'm going to say no thanks to that as well. My cheapo BoxsterS runs circles around that bucket of bolts.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

A Singer-esque Boxster is an interesting idea...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #11
WALDMEISTER

Garage
hmmm...AIR COOLED BOXSTER...why not
Old 04-14-2015, 06:08 AM   #12

Garage
My Ideas for the Build
New 3.4 that makes ~ 340 horses
Sport Suspension
Carbon Ceramics
Possibly a PDK instead of tiptronic...? (or manual for the conservative driver)
Wider wheels and tires
subtle body kit (emphasis on subtle)
some kind of roll bar extension like the RUF had
small wheel with no airbag
some kind of sport buckets
and of course the whole car torn down and rebuilt with brand new parts, paint, rust proofing on chassis, new upholstery in interior, etc.
that new old style radio with navigation that Porsche just came out with
GT3 Console delete
manual a/c
Brand new old Boxster that performs better than it ever did
Old 04-14-2015, 06:23 AM   #13

Garage
Can't forget a glass window top and sports exhaust. Maybe 987 style side mirrors.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:37 AM   #14

but aren't RUF already doing Singer type modifications to Boxsters/Caymans? They slap all the bells and whistles on those cars inside and out for big money..granted not Singer type big money. It's only RUF afterll.. LOL.

Or do you mean you'd like to back-date a Boxster? So that it looks 80's?

Technically the Boxster is a 90's design so its already circa the post-911 era of the 993/964. The 986 was just a very forward looking design for the 1990's, while somehow pulling off the trick of still looking very current even 22 years after the concept car was unveiled in Detroit.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:53 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
but aren't RUF already doing Singer type modifications to Boxsters/Caymans? They slap all the bells and whistles on those cars inside and out for big money..granted not Singer type big money. It's only RUF afterll.. LOL.

Or do you mean you'd like to back-date a Boxster? So that it looks 80's?

Technically the Boxster is a 90's design so its already circa the post-911 era of the 993/964. The 986 was just a very forward looking design for the 1990's, while somehow pulling off the trick of still looking very current even 22 years after the concept car was unveiled in Detroit.
essentially I mean rebuilding an entire boxster with all brand new parts. Not mean to make the car look older or newer, just brand spanking new again, with some visual/performance upgrades.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:55 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaBoxster View Post
essentially I mean rebuilding an entire boxster with all brand new parts. Not mean to make the car look older or newer, just brand spanking new again, with some visual/performance upgrades.
Also, it would be sold as a brand new car, 0 miles on the clock, as a singer, not a Porsche.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #17
Certified Boxster Addict

I'd like to suggest that a Singer 911 is much more than just a zero miles refurbished 911 that was re-built with NOS parts. Its more than a update or a back date. Its more than a hot rod. Its not about slapping on all of the upgrades or a few cool goodies.

A Singer is performance art. A Singer is built to an aesthetic not a specification. A Singer is like a piece of music where each part of the car is an instrument playing notes and each note has to blend perfectly with the other notes to create a harmony. And as the car is driven, the rhythm driving the harmonies creates a melody of a song. A Singer is an interpretation of the ultimate 911.

Thus, a Singer-type Boxster would be the ultimate Boxster as interpreted by the designer.

And I am working on my interpretation...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 04-14-2015 at 03:01 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Thus, a Singer-type Boxster would be the ultimate Boxster as interpreted by the designer.

Oh sure. Drop that little hint and disappear!

Hints as to what's up your sleeve?
Old 04-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #19
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
I'd like to suggest that a Singer 911 is much more than just a zero miles refurbished 911 that was re-built with NOS parts. Its more than a update or a back date. Its more than a hot rod. Its not about slapping on all of the upgrades or a few cool goodies.

A Singer is performance art. A Singer is built to an aesthetic not a specification. A Singer is like a piece of music where each part of the car is an instrument playing notes and each note has to blend perfectly with the other notes to create a harmony. And as the car is driven, the rhythm driving the harmonies creates a melody of a song. A Singer is an interpretation of the ultimate 911.

It is a beautiful car and well executed. I wouldn't call it the ultimate 911, maybe the ultimate non water cooled 911. The 911's you can get from Porsche today I would take over a Singer 911 in a heartbeat.

Then there is the price $500,000 for that car? Several other cars I would pick over the Singer 911 and still have money left over.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #20
Rennzenn

Garage
Quote:

Ditto. But on a shoestring budget!