Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2015, 01:59 AM   #1

locking lug bolts- how to get them off without proper socket ?

When I purchased my 02 S it did not come with the locking lug nut socket. I have searched everywhere in the car and can't find it. So I'm riding on borrowed time for a flat or needing to remove a wheel. Any way to get these off ? I have already purchased replacement OEM lug bolts ( non-locking ) so I'm not concerned about saving the lockers. But obviously don't want to damage the wheels. I have a impact wrench but I'm wondering what type of socket would you use ? Do tire dealers/shops have a way to get them off ? Or should I go to a Porsche dealership ?

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:35 AM   #2

Get with Woody or Instanova , Im sure he can fix you up
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Get with Woody or Instanova , Im sure he can fix you up
You mean to get the OEM wheel socket ? I never thought of that do you know if they are that generic ?
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 03-29-2015, 03:34 AM   #4
still plays with cars...

Garage
The dealership service department should have a master set of all lug keys for cases like this. Even the local Ford dealer had a complete set when I wanted to buy a spare key many years ago.
Tire shops generally carry removal sockets, but they butcher the lockers.
Crappy situation, best of luck.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:36 AM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
You can buy a special socket: Emergency Lug Nut Remover

or you can just hammer an old socket onto it. I've had good luck using an old socket, but I forget the size. 13/16"?

Eric the Car Guy has some great videos. Here's his lug nut removal on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJUUyjJqk5A

Get rid of those locking lug bolts before they are a problem.

Last edited by 78F350; 03-29-2015 at 03:39 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:38 AM   #6

Do not drill! They will cost you and you will almost always end up with wheel damage. There are other ways to get them off, google is your best friend here. I'm sure other more experienced members will chime in with suggestions too. Something like this could work too:
Locking Lug Nut Remover | eBay
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:08 AM   #7
Rennzenn

Garage
Find a socket that's just a bit too small for the lock. Use a sledge to drive it on to the lock, then use a breaker bar to loosen it. My 996 had the locks, but the key socket was lost. I was able to pull all four locks using the same socket. Of course, the socket and locks are all toast afterwards, but I didn't want them anyway. I replaced the locks with regular lug bolts.
If it looks like you might hit the wheel with the sledge, put a 4" extension on the socket. Yeah, this is getting ruined, too. The key here is to use tools that are at the end of their lives anyway.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:58 AM   #8

Garage
did the hammer small socket thing. worked great. bought 4 used lugs from itsnotanova for $15 and away we go
BOOTLEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:24 AM   #9

I did the socket/hammer it on w/ one of mine. There are over 20 different style locks and the dealer will prolly charge you to do it.

Grab some cheap sockets from Harbor Freight and give 'em a good whack! Easy peasy.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:48 AM   #10
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Most garages can remove these. Just toss them and put on regular bolts.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:01 AM   #11

I have to use a six sided impact socket on half the cars that come in. Like everyone said, get a socket that is just a little too small and hammer it on. Then loosen the bolt off by hand. Once I've broken the bolt loose, I'll take the hammer and tap around the socket until it wiggles it's way off the bolt head. If that doesn't work, I'll take the socket over to the table vice and hammer the bolt out through the hole using a punch. It sounds scary using the socket trick, but it works every time. One time I had a key break because the lug bolt was on so tight. Did the socket trick and it came right off.

Last edited by itsnotanova; 03-29-2015 at 06:03 AM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:31 AM   #12

Here you go

02 Boxster s rwd Porsche 986 20 Wheel Lug Nut Bolts Key Locking 101 282 | eBay
Old 03-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #13

Show of Hands

Who here has ever had a wheel stolen from their car? I think everyone should do what most of us have already done. Take off the lug bolts that require a key and see how far you can throw them. Replace with regular bolts.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #14

I sort of did that

I replaced mine with regular, until I buggered up two lugs during a bearing change and had to use one of my locking lugs as a replacement...anyone what my key...send me a lug or two and I will send you my key
Old 03-29-2015, 01:58 PM   #15

Sounds like I'll try the hammer a socket on method. Thanks guys.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #16

Buy some replacement lug bolts from the dealer with the car parked out front and they will usually loan you a set of the sockets for the 10 minutes for you to find the right one and remove 4 bolts. Worked for me twice. The sockets seem to disappear into the mechanics tool boxes.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:56 PM   #17

Garage
Tire shops usually have a set of special sockets. You hammer the appropriate socket on the locking lugnut, it cuts itself into the head and you can then just use a breaker bar to remove the nut. All the serious wheel thieves have such a set, so locking lugnuts are useless and just cause you grief when you loose the key. Just replace with normal lugnuts.

nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote