Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2015, 01:51 PM   #1

Garage
AC LED Screen

Kind of the least of my worries right now, but is there a DIY fix, or should I just buy a new one?

OklahomaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
here you go

you can get it here:

http://shop.914rubber.com/996-986-LCD-Display-unit-wth-connectors-replacement-kit-996986LCD.htm;jsessionid=E2345BEB99A40090C042FB32E 38C6FA6.m1plqscsfapp06

or here, including installation instructions:

Porsche Climate Control LCD Repair Kit | ModuleMaster
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #3

I am meeting up with 78F350 tomorrow and start picking off his parts car. I am checking my HVAC screen with one he has to see if that s what is wrong with my vents. If it is not I can bring one back from him and bring it back to OKC for you.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by antny View Post
I am meeting up with 78F350 tomorrow and start picking off his parts car. I am checking my HVAC screen with one he has to see if that s what is wrong with my vents. If it is not I can bring one back from him and bring it back to OKC for you.
Really? How much would you want?
OklahomaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #5

I will pm you my number so I can keep you updated. We will get it figured out one way or another.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by antny View Post
Keep in mind that not all of these climate control units are the same and sometimes are not interchangeable. They also have the cars VIN programmed in, though I'm not sure what purpose that serves as I have heard of some that have swapped units successfully.

For the OP, I think it's best to just buy the new screen to prevent any compatibility issues. Also, a used unit is old and could develop the same defect.
It's a relatively cheap and easy fix.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #7

I agree, if there is an easy cheaper fix that will work I am up for it. That is why I am going to test it first to see if it will even fix my issue. If not then no harm done. I am not meeting up just for this part
Old 03-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
I'll double-vouch for the Modulemaster. Used it on mine and it looks brand new - and it was super easy. Yes, it does change the appearance SLIGHTLY - but honestly can't even remember what that change was now. Something to do with Manuel...
Old 03-05-2015, 05:30 PM   #9

Look up Module Masters in Boise, ID.

They have two solutions.

http://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/wp-content/plugins/WooCommerce-car-filter/include/product_filter.php?make=68&model=902&syear=6120
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles

Last edited by lkchris; 03-05-2015 at 05:59 PM.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:03 AM   #10

I sort of went through this not too long ago. I had purchased a used climate controller and thought I'd be able to swap it out with mine, that didn't work. I did get it to finally work but not after a lot of effort. If I were to do this again I'd buy the repair kit.

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/54698-beater-boxster-has-heat.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaBoxster View Post
Kind of the least of my worries right now, but is there a DIY fix, or should I just buy a new one?
Cebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:45 AM   #11

Garage
+1 Module Masters
Very easy. Hardest part like most things is getting unit out of console
Old 03-08-2015, 04:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaBoxster View Post
Those blotches on your LED screen (right & left) side is where the sepia film on the inside of the led has rubbed off leaving the glass of the LED clear and then reflects the yellow card behind it.

When I changed my LED on the controller a few weeks ago it took me all of 45 minutes from removing the controller, changing the FAULTY LED and reinstalling the controller. Very easy job 2/10! DO NOT BUY ANOTHER CONTROLLER not necessary if the led Is the only problem.

I purchased the kit from 914. $50 he also gives excellent step by step instructions.

This is the thread I started with the same problem.
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/55760-help-faulty-display-screen-please.html

Last edited by JonD; 03-08-2015 at 04:35 AM.
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #13
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Just to clear things up...

It's an LCD, not an LED. LCD stands for liquid crystal display. The "spots" are cavities in the layer of liquid crystal due to losses. In other words, some of the liquid crystal medium has leaked out or air has leaked in, creating little cavities in that layer.

Carry on
Old 03-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #14

Garage
My odometer section of my cluster started doing that once winter hit. Its not as bad now since it's gotten hotter. I think it's something to do with moister. I read about it somewhere else as I researched it as well because I was scared I would have to dump money into a new cluster. Hopefully in the next few weeks it clears up. Hopefully that's the case for yours as well.
Holy_Shift_986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:03 AM   #15
Custom User Title Here

Garage
It will never "clear up", but may not get much worse (most likely will, though). It's not moisture, but a loss of liquid crystal, as I said in my last post. Nothing will bring it back
Temperature affects the size of the defect due to the expansion and contraction of the materials and crystal that come with temperature changes (the affected area will appear smaller in warmer temps, larger in cold).

Sadly, replacement gauge cluster LCDs cannot be purchased.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #16

Last winter, both my cluster and my AC control displays went caput with this blotchy nonsense on it. It wasn't even that cold! Maybe 35 degrees.

I was forced to replace the cluster with another out of a 97 boxster with just 14k miles on it and now my odometer isn't correct... Just 100k low

I bought a replacement LCD kit off ebay for $40 or so and put it in with instructions provided and some cotton gloves I purchased at a photographic store. The kit is for an Audi, so the icons don't look identical, but I don't care.

BTW, Woody (itsnotanova is his screen name) may have one for sale out of a wrecked car. Be sure to ask him in a PM... might be cheaper than fixing yours.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Just to clear things up...

It's an LCD, not an LED. LCD stands for liquid crystal display. The "spots" are cavities in the layer of liquid crystal due to losses. In other words, some of the liquid crystal medium has leaked out or air has leaked in, creating little cavities in that layer.

Carry on
Yes oops I know it's LCD slip of the finger and totally 2 different technologies.

Those spots could very well be air bubbles between the layers, on mine it just looked like something had flaked and rubbed off. There definitely wasn't any bleeding. Which actually looks completely different again.

Mike (I think was his name) that supplied me with the replacement kit said that he had never actually seen that before. And he has sold and replaced heaps of those LCD displays.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:45 AM   #18

Ok, so I came home tonight and decided to have a closer look at the Old LCD I replaced. I could see that there was definitely some dark blue film stuck on each side of the glass, (I thought it was more a sepia colour before). The 2 pieces of glass fused together had what I assume maybe some kind of liquid in the middle, therefore the name Liquid Crystal Display.

Bear in mind I haven't researched how liquid crystal displays are made. Anyway, I applied some heat to the Display with a heat gun and the clear spots started to disappear, however the dark blue film started to peel away from the edges of the glass. I peeled the film more (see Pics not great detail).

I cleaned the sticky stuff off the glass and I could clearly see the spots/blotches between the glass. Guess that's either the liquid drying up or something, due to temperature fluctuations and just wear and tear over time.

Thought you all might be interested.
Attached Images