Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #1

Beater Boxster Has Heat!

I had replaced my climate control unit with another one I purchased used. I thought everything went well until I actually went for a ride. My entire instrument cluster wasn't working. It turns out every time I plugged the replacement climate controller in it would blow the cluster's fuse.

The replacement climate controller display was working and my original display was bad and the buttons were all sticking. So I thought why not swap front panels. It turns out the circuit boards are different. I don't have a schematic so I can't tell what the difference are but your able to see it in the photos.

I carefully removed the header pins from good controller and installed into the original circuit board. I tested it out and wahoo! The display is working and the climate is functioning as it should be.

Later on I want to understand the difference between these two controllers. I heard there are 2 and 4 cable versions. Perhaps the 2nd controller was of the 4 cable type as mine has two. If anybody knows the difference please share. I thought I'd share this info in case you were thinking of swapping out your climate controllers. In hind sight it would probably been easier if I just swapped out the panel with a kit as a member suggested here. Since I already purchased the part I wanted to exhaust all possibilities. In any case Beater Boxster has heat!

Last edited by Cebu; 11-05-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Cebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #2

Nice job! ...............